Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2022, 02:55 PM

9,398 posts, read 11,147,212 times

Advertisements

I've had what I thought was a firm position on this. But recent discussions here have called the whole gig into question. Much, of course, depends on individual circumstances, and who can care for our pets once we check out of this earthly plane. My wife died recently, so I'm it. The last parent.

Is it better to outlive our pets (cats in this case), or to go toes-up while still having a beloved pet or two or three in the home?

Answers from people who lived previous lives as a cat are welcome.

I thought it would be better to outlive them. But I don't know how long I'll live, most of us don't. So...to always have a cat or cats around, even as we draw our last breath? Or to watch them die off of age or disease? That means going for an undetermined time with no furry friends around to give aid and comfort? To love and be loved by.

I'm starting to move my view. I think of the stray who showed up in our yard one day, Pretty Girl aka Punkin. She obviously had been well cared for and loved. And now she was out of a home. I figured her mom or pop either aged out into a nursing home or other place with no kitties, or perhaps died. She got put out, I was pretty sure about that. Yet she's the sweetest, most affectionate, civilized kitty. And we gave her a new home.

I don't have friends or family who can or will take in kitties. Especially five outsiders, four insiders. But I'm thinking that some cat, who otherwise might have spent time in a shelter or been a random stray, would have a better life with me, no matter how long, than to just stay in the shelter.

Thanks for your input.

I hold it true, whate’er befall,
I feel it, when I sorrow most;
‘Tis better to have loved and lost
Than never to have loved at all. --Alfred Lord Tennyson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2022, 04:58 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,556,099 times
Better to outlive them? Absolutely Yes.

I have lived with cats my whole life. Never lived without a cat or cats. I don't even know what it would feel like. Of all the cats I have had since becoming a self supporting adult (41 years), there are only 2 left

When these two, who have been with me their entire lives, are gone, I will adopt only elderly cats or cats in need of hospice. Cats who don't have a long life ahead of them. Then I won't have to worry so much how they would cope without me, because they won't have been with me their entire lives.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:01 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I think it is our duty to either outlive, or plan for, our pets.

Right now, we have many... three dogs, seven cats, 8 goats, 2 sheep 2 horses and a pig... But we're on a "no new animals" policy, except for those with very short lifespans, like chickens, and the beef which we'll eat.

Old 03-01-2022, 05:31 PM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times
I certainly hope to outlive mine, although it will be painful to lose them. Afterwards I will strictly foster, and try to foster elderly and/or otherwise more unadoptable cats as well.

Old 03-01-2022, 06:46 PM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
My best friend will take the 2 I have now. I will probably outlive them and my plan then is to take one very old dog from the shelter until I die.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:50 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
I've considered arranging with a shelter to take my cats, and they will come with whatever I have to give.

I do agree that if you can get a cat off the street then they have better health and a better life no matter for how long the time. Better to live a good life even if you can only get it for a while.

Also agree with catsmom that the older I get, the older the cats I get will be. It's logical, as I would be unhappy without a pet and what's the point of some poor old thing languishing alone in the shelter when they could be here, cared for. Even if they end up back in the shelter, they'll have had a good life while I could give it.

And of course they can just eat me if I die here alone. I don't mind. (Some dark humor there, as this is a very sad subject.)

But the most love and joy and nutrition for the most animals for the longest amount of time is my plan. I'll find an after the end times plan before I get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats