U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2009, 05:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,680,631 times
Default Fish Mox...Aquarium Amoxicillin Fro Cats

Oops... not fro cats, but for cats!

I open up my latest Drs. Foster & Smith catalog for cats, and they have a non-scrip antibiotic for aquariums called Fish-Mox that also can be used for cats. 100 caps at 250mg each. I was told that I need to consult my vet as to how much to administer to a 14 lb cat.

It's good for pink eye, respiratory or bite infections in cats and dogs.

It's also available online at Amazon, but PetSmart and Pet Supplies Plus didn't have it.

Has anyone heard of or used Fish-Mox on their cat?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 06:37 PM

8,632 posts, read 11,641,933 times
I've never used it on a cat, but did use it on myself when I had no medical benefits. I was told about the Fish-Mox by a friend that used it. You could probably find it at an actual pet shop or place that specializes in fish.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:24 AM

1,275 posts, read 3,519,142 times
Such a bad idea for so many reasons.

Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 AM

8,632 posts, read 11,641,933 times
It works.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:56 PM

I'm very glad to hear that you didn't have any adverse affects. However antibiotics are not necessarily harmless, especially when not used correctly. I stand by my statement that it's a bad idea to use them without a prescription and it's particularly irresponsible to encourage others to do the same.

Old 12-01-2009, 02:36 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,672,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansas sky View Post
I'm very glad to hear that you didn't have any adverse affects. However antibiotics are not necessarily harmless, especially when not used correctly. I stand by my statement that it's a bad idea to use them without a prescription and it's particularly irresponsible to encourage others to do the same.
Amen. I was going to reply to this but as my blood starts to boil when I read things like this I figured you'd phrase it better than I!

Old 12-01-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Should the same apply for vitamins and their claims?

Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmex View Post
Should the same apply for vitamins and their claims?
It depends. Some vitamins are passed out harmlessly in the urine if someone takes too much. Others can cause toxicity if there's an overdose. You really have to know what you're dealing with.

I have 2 big problems with antibiotics being used over the counter. The first is that you can harm the patient. I have a relative who nearly died (the er nurses words, not mine) after incorrectly using an antibiotic. She had a case of strep throat and discontinued her antibiotics when she started feeling better. As a result, the stronger bacteria that survived the treatment multiplied like crazy and she ended up with a massive infection in her bloodstream. Also, not all antibiotics treat all bacteria. If you are using the wrong one, then it can delay the treatment that the patient needs.

On a related note, people using antibiotics incorrectly contributes to a problem that is huge in human medicine and we're even starting to see in veterinary medicine. Antibiotic resistance isn't something most people need to think about on a daily basis. It's easy to ignore. However, when your loved one (human or animal) needs high-powered antibiotics that can damage the liver and/or kidneys to treat a bacterial infection that should easily have been treated with something much milder...then it becomes very real. People who treat their viral colds with antibiotics and who treat their animals without knowing the correct dose and duration of treatment contribute to this problem.

Old 12-02-2009, 04:13 PM

7,648 posts, read 8,513,914 times
Quote:
It depends. Some vitamins are passed out harmlessly in the urine if someone takes too much. Others can cause toxicity if there's an overdose. You really have to know what you're dealing with.

I have 2 big problems with antibiotics being used over the counter. The first is that you can harm the patient. I have a relative who nearly died (the er nurses words, not mine) after incorrectly using an antibiotic. She had a case of strep throat and discontinued her antibiotics when she started feeling better. As a result, the stronger bacteria that survived the treatment multiplied like crazy and she ended up with a massive infection in her bloodstream. Also, not all antibiotics treat all bacteria. If you are using the wrong one, then it can delay the treatment that the patient needs.

On a related note, people using antibiotics incorrectly contributes to a problem that is huge in human medicine and we're even starting to see in veterinary medicine. Antibiotic resistance isn't something most people need to think about on a daily basis. It's easy to ignore. However, when your loved one (human or animal) needs high-powered antibiotics that can damage the liver and/or kidneys to treat a bacterial infection that should easily have been treated with something much milder...then it becomes very real. People who treat their viral colds with antibiotics and who treat their animals without knowing the correct dose and duration of treatment contribute to this problem.
as a survivor of an mrsa (methicilliin resistant staph. aureus) infection, i can not agree with the above post more...... the secondary staph infection was FAR FAR FAR worse than the initial major hip surgery i underwent....... i REFUSE antibiotics for myself or my pets unless it is known without a doubt that a bacterial infection is being treated..... drives me absolutely insane to see over-anxious parents rushing their kids to the pediatrician for every little sniffle and cold and then coming home with yet another prescription for amoxicillin or whatever the antibiotic-du-jour is........

Old 12-02-2009, 05:18 PM

Good heads up advice, thanks to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats