Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 05:58 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,554,399 times

Advertisements

Of course you do realize that ALL cats are psycho, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 06:22 PM

1,738 posts, read 8,276,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
I'm gonna have to ditto that!
I have no answer except I've been there and still have no answer.
cats are nuts

Old 12-03-2009, 06:35 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Predos View Post
But, of course.

On a more serious note; Sekhmet, the cat on my Profile picture because an outdoor cat a week ago (I live in the Phx area so our winters are not an issue plus we live in an older enclave with lots of trees.) due to her becoming quite destructive and getting into fights with our other two cats.

I am a bit bummed over Sekhmet being I had her since she was born (her preggers mom entered my life 7 years ago); but her psychotic behavior was not acceptable so outside she went. Needless to say; she does not leave the back yard and I feed/water her.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:59 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Well, my cats, Annie and Stella, are not psycho but there is a good chance that I am.

Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,322,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
First vet check the fighting cats to see if they have FIV and feline luk. If they do you may have to put them down or forever sepreate them.

Sense all these cats- or most of them anyway seem high to mod risk I'd test them.

Secondly I would Ideally re home the fighting cat with someone who plans of keeping her as an only cat. If this cant be done I would seperate them and devide the house up. Build virticle space by aiding cat trees, furniture places to hide. Put a litter box on every floor.
This is yet ANOTHER OFF TOPIC POST! These cats are not new, so there is no chance of them being sick. Plus, he doesn't want to rehome any of his cats!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:21 PM

1,086 posts, read 3,360,379 times
I've mentioned it on the board before... Most cats don't take too well to having a lot of cats in the household. You may think you're doing the new cat a favor by letting him in, but in the proccess making your cats miserable and unhappy.

Old 12-04-2009, 06:26 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Yeah; the interloper polydactly was, we're pretty sure, the cat that broke the camel's back here, and triggered this over-response. We've kept cookie separated, and issued Thai the world's friendliest cat outside for part of the day, though it's a miserable 18˚ F here now.

All our cats are quite healthy, and we take them in to the vet's for regular checks, so the FIV and Leuk are not likely.

cookie has quieted down this week, but just this afternoon, Thai ran in to the room, directly towards her, hissing. I think he's learned a little in all of this about expressing his alpha-ness. Needless to say, all the males and females here have been "neutralized", but old genetically hard-wired behaviors probably die hard.

It'll be off to the vet's next week for some Kitty-Juana or whatever if this persists. It's too complicated to keep track of them all and keep them from mutually shredding each other!

Well, thx again for all the comments. I'll let you all know!

Old 12-04-2009, 08:08 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
If you need a quick outdoor cat shelter, get one of those oversized Rubbermaid bins, cut a cat-sized hole on the side, line with old soft blankets, and then put the top on it.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,459 times
i think the only cure for her is either send ghost and thai away to relatives for a little bit or send cookie to a relatives just so cookie can calm down, just give her lots and lots of love.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:43 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times
I don't know if my suggestions will help any, for your problem is really out of control, and my heart goes out to you. I understand only too well the panic involved and the desperation something like this causes. If only our animals could speak! Yes, Cookie is definitely trying to tell you something, and I think it is along the lines of what 5horses said in his post.

1. I would separate Cookie for a while from the others, giving her space, a time-out so to speak. Is this possible in your home? She needs to know, YOU are truly the alpha cat, not her, and that you are in charge. This sometimes calls for tough measures, but is more then necessary to return to peace.

2. There are a few holistic products I have used to calm down fighting males, angry cats, and those who just have a personality conflict. One is Calm Pet found at Dr. Judy Griffin's Aroma Health Texas :: Aroma Therapy, Herbal Therapy, Herbal Medicine, Healing Power of Flowers, Flower Essences costing $14.95 a bottle. And the other is Bach Flowers Rescue Remedy. With Rescue Remedy, a stronger and faster effect I have found, is putting 2-4 drops directly into your cat's mouth.

I would also suggest when you hear a conflict rising, to run with a water bottle, and squirt water at the two cats in conflict. This usually does the trick, and then afterwords, separate the two for a few hours to get them to think about matters. Don't wait until after the skirmish, for by then the damage is done and it is too late. I have a total of TEN males and FIVE females, and if I did not get the point across that I am the ALPHA, all chaos would be an everyday thing here. It has taken a lot of time and effort on my part, and a lot of love. I really do wish you all the best, for I have walked your shoes, and it is not easy! To give you some encouragement, my usual day now is peace and calm. The work is well worth the outcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats