Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 11:49 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,315,804 times

Advertisements

Annie is my 7 year old ragdoll.

I've had her since she was 3. I love her.

In October I almost lost her. To make a long story short, she nearly died from undiagnosed diabetes. Luckily I got her to the vet in time. She spent 3 days in ICU while they worked on saving her. She was greatly traumatized and bit one of the techs. Drew blood. That is how upset she was. Tons of tubes, needles, etc.

She is now on insulin which is not a problem for her. She doesn't even feel the shots. She is on a healthy cat food diet that she loves. One would never know that she had a near-death experience. She's healthy and like to play.

Before this trauma she purred a lot. She liked to cuddle with me. Since the trauma she still likes to cuddle with me and wants to be with me all the time. Here's the problem: She no longer purrs. Ever.

Has anyone ever had this experience with a kitty? Does this mean that the crisis in October has stripped her of the serenity she had? Any suggestions on what I can do for her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 02:28 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
That is weird. I don't think it has anything to do with her losing 'serenity', but I don't know. Perhaps she will start purring again eventually.

(Where are you in TX? I'm in Fort Worth.)

Old 11-29-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
That is weird. I don't think it has anything to do with her losing 'serenity', but I don't know. Perhaps she will start purring again eventually.

(Where are you in TX? I'm in Fort Worth.)
I miss it so much. It's like a light went out in the force or someone performed a purrectomy on her.

I'm in southwest Arlington but I'm a Ft. Worth girl at heart.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:49 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Purring is such a mystery to me. Isn't a lion's roar his/her purr?

My first two cats purred a lot. I had them since birth.

My present cat was semi-feral and the vet thought she was about 4-5 months when I got her. She very rarely purrs. When she does, it is a big deal and I get all excited.

I've heard of how illness or trauma can affect people permanently, and perhaps it is the same with kitties?
Yet I am sure your cat very much loves you, Ketabcha.

Old 11-29-2009, 05:54 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,489 times
This is the first cat that I`ve had that doesn`t pur much. The only time she does is when she kneeds and that`s not all of the time.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:49 AM

672 posts, read 5,093,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
This is the first cat that I`ve had that doesn`t pur much. The only time she does is when she kneeds and that`s not all of the time.
Hey, same case with me! First cat I've ever had and only purrs when she kneads me.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:27 AM

519 posts, read 1,049,409 times
She will purr again! It's only been a few weeks, just give it time.

Old 11-30-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumbleBug View Post
She will purr again! It's only been a few weeks, just give it time.
Thank you for giving me hope.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:11 PM

18,056 posts, read 15,645,534 times
You can always download the sound of a cat purring if you find you miss it too much. Just put it on a loop so it will play for 15 min or so.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:29 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Purring is such a mystery to me.
It's all part of the great feline plan to keep us permanently confused.

Although it's not quite the same, one of ours lost her voice. We don't know how or why, but one day she went to say "meow" and .... silence. The mouth moved, but no sound came out. She was fine in herself - no trauma or injury we could see or feel, she was normal in all eating, drinking and all her regular habits. We didn't go to the vet because she's a former resident of a feral colony so we always have to weigh up the stress of going to the vet (getting her into a carrier requires an advanced degree in military tactics) vs. what can be done for her. It took some months, but one day a squeak came out. Eventually she got most of her voice back although she's very "Lauren Bacall" now.

Give the purr time to return on its own as I'm pretty sure it will. In the meantime, just console yourself with the thought she's purring "on the inside".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats