U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 02:11 PM

312 posts, read 1,702,117 times

Advertisements

Hi, I took my cat with me from Florida to Clayton, NC last October and it went well. What I did, since I have a mini-van, was to purchase a cat crate (see pic below) and add a carpet-covered shelf in the middle of crate (1/2 of the length) for my cat to sleep on. Under the carpeted shelf is a litterbox. I use the tube water feeder attached on the crate wall, almost like the one hamster use for drinking water.

During our trip, my cat slept thru the whole time and didn't go on the litterbox until we stayed in a motel and let him roam in our room for a little bit. He went in the litterbox, eat his meals, and investigate our room. No tranqualizer or anything and he's fine.

One thing to remember: never leave your animals alone in the car while you go to the restuarant. Sun heat can kill them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 02:22 PM

3,077 posts, read 4,991,043 times
We have the same problem with our goldfish. This one is a survivor having been unceremoniously pulled from its tank several times by one of our cats. What we're planning to do is get a glass jar (one gallon) with a screw-top lid and fill it with the water from the tank. That way should the container in which the fish is being transported tips over the water can't escape.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:01 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,375,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Annoying spouses should also be sedated on long trips. Sometimes, even on short trips.
It had occured to me to sedate the lot of them and strap them to the luggage wrack on top but I didn't.

Something I will NEVER forget about 911...we had driven into Florida the night before, we were crammed into a hotel, with my daughter, my annoying spouse, the two cats and two dogs...

Old 05-18-2007, 05:03 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,375,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
Man plans and cats laugh. Good luck trying to outsmart a cat.

As for the transporting of our feline friends our vet just recommended yesterday that we use a small dose of Benadryl and see how it works. It's important to note that he strongly recommended testing this out in advance. Otherwise it's on to kitty prozac.

As for where to place them in the car, it should be in a carrier (with water) and the carrier should be secured somehow.
Yea, make sure its the pill and not the liquid...AND find out what dosage is required, I found out on a previous trip that getting liquid benadryl into a cat is like putting the toothpaste back in the tube...even with a blunt end syringe.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:19 PM

3,091 posts, read 8,205,728 times
Just finished moving my cats with me in the SUV. 4 of them. The oldest rode shotgun. I won't drive with any of my cats loose. All had their own carrier.

Back when we moved ourselves in a UHaul, we would tow one car, putting the cats in carriers in that car, and us in the UHaul. Oldest kitty either "drives" if in a tow car or shotgun if in a car with a driver.

Back in 1997, my husband and I drove cross country from S. CA to GA with three cats.

My move this time would have been five cats but my husband took one with home on his temp assignment leg of this move. I'm getting ready to fly out and when I fly back, the cat will fly home with me.

We were told by the airline, he could fly in the passenger section of the plane if there were no more than 2 requests. However, KNOWING my cat like I do, HE will fly in the pressurized hold for the sake of mine and the other passenger's sanity. I also told my husband that flying him in the cabin would not be a good idea since some people may be allergic to cats.

After a few hours of kitty *now*ing (thats what the "I want out" meow begins to sound like after awhile), they either fall asleep or you get use to it. Liz

Old 05-18-2007, 05:37 PM

53 posts, read 147,201 times
My son has a goldfish too. I am trying to give it away. We have had this fish for seven years..It will not die.. To big to flush.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:38 PM

59 posts, read 245,672 times
We've flown 2 cats from the east coast and back. They weren't sedated either time and did just fine. We put them under the seat in front of us. They howled a bit when we took off and landed but that was it. The plane was so loud that no one even knew they were there.

I have a friend who sedated her cats and drove from GA to WA. One of the cats had a bad reaction to the meds and was kinda nutty for the rest of his life.

We are planning on driving our two cats from FL to NC with no meds in seperate crates. Just thinking about it makes me wonder if I've lost my mind.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:38 PM

607 posts, read 2,209,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
We have the same problem with our goldfish. This one is a survivor having been unceremoniously pulled from its tank several times by one of our cats. What we're planning to do is get a glass jar (one gallon) with a screw-top lid and fill it with the water from the tank. That way should the container in which the fish is being transported tips over the water can't escape.
Your going to poke holes in the lid, right??? I am starting to feel happy that I am taking my fish, Mr. Survivor. If he makes it, I want to build him a pond, and have him grow into a "killer" goldfish, and he will become famous, and I will become a millionaire, taking him on the road, and showing people how gigantic he has grown.....ahhhh life is good.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:38 PM

3,021 posts, read 9,919,831 times
Lizard, you don't need to poke holes in the lid of the jar for the fish. It's enough to just remove the lid for a while at night at your hotel room.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:25 PM

53 posts, read 147,201 times
Lizard,I live in Hemet, I hope you will live by us in NC. Moving w hubby, son, daughter, 2 cars, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 plants, boxes, and now thanks to you, a large fantail gold fish. I hope we all make it. Oh, and then my parents join us in July. I want to go on that road show with you and our fish. I think the large jar thing may work. Still I am wondering how we are going to get the cats there, and how in the world are we going to stop and eat during the day. Cant leave the lot of them in the car! I just got to meet ya for coffee when we get there to compare stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or