U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 07:24 AM

4,958 posts, read 10,368,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
I leave in eleven days from CA with two cars, three dogs, a cat and a goldfish.....and a patridge in a pear tree....
I am sooooooooooo not looking forward to it. Any suggestions on the goldfish?? I know, I know....just flush it. But guys, I have had this fish for two years, it won't die, I cannot in good conscience flush him, he is our family. (I hear you guys laughing!!) How the heck do you travel with a goldfish??
We did a long-distance move with our beta fish. I just left him in his small tank and wedged him between the front seats. It kept the tank steady and the little guy survived the move just fine .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 08:09 AM

567 posts, read 1,926,643 times
Default Cats in the car...

I know I'm a little late, but I've also moved with 2 cats.

We used to drive with them loose because they hated being caged. But after too much fur flying in the car and messes, we decided to put them in their own carriers.

It is much safer and secure to put each kitty in their own carrier. We've done this drive between VA and CT a couple times. Our cats cry for a little while and then go to sleep. They are usually too nervous to eat or use the litter box so we don't worry about that until we get to our destination. We put newspaper in the bottom of the carriers to catch any mess. The cats do just fine!

I know all cats are different but this is our experience. I wouldn't ever fly with my cats because who knows how they are handled and I don't want them in the cabin to disturb other passengers (one howls loudly and the other messes the cage and it stinks!)

Old 05-19-2007, 11:39 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,380,027 times
I have actually flown with my pets as well, I flew from Boston out to Denver one time, both cats had some kitty xanax, they made the trip like it was nothing.

My parents used to spend the summer in Estes Park and then go back to Texas for the winter, so my Father was pulling the fifth wheel trailor (back to Dallas) and while I know it was illegal, I traveled part of the way in the trailor...I laid in the big bed, reading, sleeping with the cats around me, my dad also had a cat...it was kind of laid back and fun...

At one point we even took the three cats into the dual cab of the truck, mine had never ridden in a car other then to the airport and to the vet but boy did they LOVE sitting on the back of the seat and watching the world roll by, they were a scream...I remember people would pass us on the road amazed at the three cats sitting on the back of the seats.

Then of course I eventually flew back from Dallas to Boston. I remember when I got to the airport, I had both the adult cats in one carrier, the female was a big fluffy black cat and the male was a White cat with blue eyes, he looked just like a purebred angora, people gather around to admire them, I was SO proud.

If you need to transport an animal by plane I can highly recommend Delta Dash, the animal is given special treatment, first one off a plane, hand carried to the dash office, LAST one on the plane...the breeder that I got my Cavaliers from sends her animals that way.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:49 AM

223 posts, read 207,093 times
my bro & mother drove from ca to colo with 12 cats in the car.then a few months later my bro drove from ca to colo with 6 cats & 2 labs. ( his pets ) it can be done.i may be moving to colo & i have 6 cats.i will not abandon them cause they are family.its a 1600 mile drive but ill make it cause colo is MUCH better then nasty foul GREEDY mexifornia.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:42 PM

94 posts, read 357,371 times
Default Apartments & 'Non-Refundable' Pet Fee's -what the #@*&!!!!

I am relocating to the Raleigh area from an apartment in Michigan and while perusing ApartmentGuide.com and also individual property sites, I noticed that most/all apartments in the Raleigh area are charging a 'Non-refundable' Pet Fee that range anywhere from $125-$350!!!

Now I can understand from a landlord's perspective the need to recover costs associated to property damage caused by all these pets with their separation anxiety issues and impulse control disorders - the scratching, the chewing, the pooing, the peeing - I understand it adds up ...also dog urine can ruin the common grounds/landscaping, throw in lazy pet owners/unretrieved tootsie roll turds and then the community's property begins to devalue. I get it... but what I don't get is, why can't they hold those fees as a separate deposit???

Here's my thing... I have a 3 year old kitty that weighs 9lbs and that has never felt grass on her feet -so Public pooing/peeing is out, she's also declawed -which means no scratching. So why are cat owners included in this 'Non-refundable' Pet Fee? I can see asking for a separate Pet Deposit..but seriously, this is ridiculous and highway robbery!!!

My other concern is that because I'm relocating without secured employment I could very well move into an apartment that ends up being 'geographically undesirable' (aka 'crappy commute') in relation to the location of employment I obtain -and I move out a year later -this means I will again have to fork over another 'Non-refundable' Pet Fee...

Somebody tell me I'm missing something here...cuz this can't be right.

I do have a solution to this and that is allowing pet owners the option of providing a 'Pet Reference' ...It would be a document that could be created to contain information from the Vet -such as the pet's vaccination records and a professional assessment of the pet's temperment, along with any obdience training. Also a letter from a prior landlord stating the property formerly rented was left in acceptable condition and there wasn't any damage caused by the pet, nor any complaints about the pet (like excessive barking) from other tenants during the rental period.

Seriously, $125.00 - $350.00 non-refundable.... what the $#@&!!!

Old 06-30-2007, 04:12 AM

421 posts, read 2,743,754 times
Default pet rent

Quote:
Originally Posted by [FONT="Comic Sans MS"
Seriously, $125.00 - $350.00 non-refundable.... what the $#@&!!![/font]
I totally agree. How about pet RENT? in addition to the deposit!
I'm not kidding. I really thought the apartment manager was joking when he said he wanted an additional $50 per month PER cat. Its the latest thing in the Bay Area. What a scam.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:22 AM

3,353 posts, read 3,854,483 times
I drove from NJ to Florida with a bearded dragon lizard in a tank - he seemed to enjoy the stereo - and have driven from FL to NC, back to FL, back to NC and to NJ and back all since May w/my dog in the crate in the back and she did great! I know cats are different though. But the wire crate someone else posted a picture of is a godsend. My dog just hung out on her blankets and either slept or looked around. We just stopped a lot and I never left her in the car except to run inside the rest area and get stuff to go (and then with windows open and only in cool weather).

Old 06-30-2007, 04:23 AM

421 posts, read 2,743,754 times
Default BENADRYL or OTHER SEDATIVE ALERT!!

Just an FYI from my vet, cats can't regulate their body temps when sedated so make sure your car has air conditioning.

Also, you cannot give it to them day after day if its a long trip. Cats are really sensitive to sedatives of any kind.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:05 AM

7,574 posts, read 9,559,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
Hello
I had the same question and there is a thread " Transporting Cats" that I started and is buried somewhere in the forum that will give you some great advice. We're coming from CA too and we decided it would be too difficult to drive with our cat so I'm flying with her and she will be sudated. There has been some discussion about sedating vs. not sedating. I've spoken with several airline attendants and people that have flown with cats and they've all advised me to use a sedative for the cat (and I may need one too).
Go back and look for the thread - it may be somewhere at the end of April.
I'll look for it to and see what I can locate for you.
Best of luck
I'm actually reading this and cracking up, especially the part of a sedative for you. Not making fun of your situation or anything, but I also have 2 cats, and haven't even thought about how the trip will be with the two of them. I can barely get them to the groomer for haircuts without a big fuss! Guess I better start thinking about it. Jeannie

Old 06-30-2007, 06:10 AM

7,574 posts, read 9,559,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
I leave in eleven days from CA with two cars, three dogs, a cat and a goldfish.....and a patridge in a pear tree....
I am sooooooooooo not looking forward to it. Any suggestions on the goldfish?? I know, I know....just flush it. But guys, I have had this fish for two years, it won't die, I cannot in good conscience flush him, he is our family. (I hear you guys laughing!!) How the heck do you travel with a goldfish??
Too funny! Should have bunked him with the cat???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or