U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 08:11 AM

1,264 posts, read 2,126,823 times

Advertisements

I did what you're not supposed to do, which is travel with them loose.
We had four of them in a jeep.
They all were scared at first, and cowered in their own corners.... once their corners were established they never left them. They slept, they groomed, they purred, they slept and they slept.
All cats are different, and I wouldn't suggest it unless you know your cats temperment, as you don't want cat nails suddenly in your forhead as your turning a corner. But, that's what we did, and had no issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2007, 06:02 AM

421 posts, read 2,758,416 times
I was debating whether to post this info here, but I thought more people would find it on the general forum, so I started a new thread.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/gener...formation.html

I will report back when I get some prices from companion air.

Old 07-04-2007, 04:06 PM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,008,182 times
Thanks for that information!
I would never let our cat travel in the pet/freight department of a plane, though. Of course, most of the time everything works smoothly. But I'd love to have him with me, in a soft carrier that doesn't break. I'd rather have him on my knees for 10+ hours than hand him over to other people.

Why? A familiy, from our county, was in Texas for several years and finally moved back to Germany. They had a stop over somewhere in the U.S., and at Munich airport the cat's kennel arrived -- empty, the door open. I think I would have gone nuts.

They tried everything to get information on their cat but nobody knew anything. Weeks later someone found the cat. Alive and relatively well. But it had travelled in the freight department of that plane for weeks, crossing the American continent x-times. Thank God, there was a good ending and they got their beloved cat back. But I wouldn't want to live through that myself, to be honest.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:14 AM

150 posts, read 448,828 times
Default Driving with Two Cats

I know that this is an old thread- but my husband and I will be doing the same-CA(South Bay) to NC (Cary). I have actually done both before-driven and flown. I prefer the driving. It was too stressful getting myself and the cats through the scanner area in the airport and then of course everyone wanted to pet them-which totally freaked the cats out. Five days on the road is stressful for the cats, but the altitude can be really scary for them on the plane. I have never had to sedate them, though it was recomended. They both did great with the drive. My older cat had a bladder stone and a raging UTI-as I later found out (poor kitty!) and he still did great.
When I flew with one of them, they had a limit to how many animals could be on the flight- so I had to book my tickets way in advance. I had to have a special carrier and they pretty much wanted the carrier under the seat for the duration. My kitty got sick when we started to descend. At that point, I could have used the sedative
This time, we will be shipping one car, and driving with the two of them in one car.

Old 07-06-2007, 03:07 AM

16,487 posts, read 20,489,665 times
You definately want to put them each in their own crate, for their safety and yours. Give them sime toy to play with and maybe something cuddly to sleep on so they don't slide around the cold crate floor. Also contact your vet about something to make them more relaxed. When you take rest stops let them eat some, drink some and maybe even bring a small litter box you can just put on the ground for them to use. You don't want them to hold their urine or stools too long if they will not just go in the crate, which many won't. there are cat harnesses and make sure each has one, not a lease, a harness, so they will not get away. Good luck on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or