Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:31 AM

420 posts, read 1,397,720 times

Advertisements

We'll be driving from Colorado to Clayton in 17 days...with two cats and a dog! (and two children!). One cat and the dog will be just fine, the other is a howler and we are concerned about his stress and our sanity! We got a sedative from the vet and we are hoping it works. It will be a three day trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 09:38 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
I have never tried to make such a long trip with a cat, but have with large dogs. I put them in an enclosed trailer with a fence for the back door so that they would have air and scenery on the trip. They loved barking at people at the gas stations!

While that won't work as well for a cat, I know I would value my sanity over a cat's comfort and would figure some way to put the cat in a carrier and out of earshot. Don't know if you are using a trailer on the trip or what, but please dont put the cat on the roof of the car LOL. Make frequent comfort stops and give plenty attention to the cat during these stops. It may dislike you for a few days, but it will get over it.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:45 AM

17 posts, read 58,131 times
I have been debating over this very thing myself. Are there any pet services that will fly your cat indepentantly?

Old 05-18-2007, 11:12 AM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
I leave in eleven days from CA with two cars, three dogs, a cat and a goldfish.....and a patridge in a pear tree....
I am sooooooooooo not looking forward to it. Any suggestions on the goldfish?? I know, I know....just flush it. But guys, I have had this fish for two years, it won't die, I cannot in good conscience flush him, he is our family. (I hear you guys laughing!!) How the heck do you travel with a goldfish??

Old 05-18-2007, 11:41 AM

28 posts, read 84,792 times
get two hard cat carriers and a hang from the cage ( inside) water bottle. bring hard food so no upset tummies.
I had dogs i travelled with and the only way to drive with any pet and have no climbing around the car by them is with a carrier cage.
they do have smaller ones for cats. i suggest one for each pet
good luck
I'm in Clayton also. have a good trip!!

Old 05-18-2007, 12:11 PM

85 posts, read 322,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
How the heck do you travel with a goldfish??
So I'm not laughing! I'm an animal lover and even a goldfish counts! Could you put him in his water in a big baggie inside his bowl/tank? Like you get them at the fish store but a larger version? I don't know if the air in the bag above the water is enough ...

I had 2 goldfish (Randolph and Mortimer) in college and they came back and forth with me from Mass to Maine for every school break, for 4 years. But that was a shorter trip ...

Old 05-18-2007, 12:54 PM

420 posts, read 1,397,720 times
Hmm...goldfish. I think I'd call a local pet store and ask their opinion. Oh, and I don't think he doesn't count just because he's a fish! Heck...we have one plant that is coming with us with special travel considerations. LOL

Old 05-18-2007, 01:06 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,059,173 times
I have friends who traveled cross-country with tropical fish. Crazy, but they did it! Their solution was to get a big bucket with a lid from Home Depot. Of course you don't need anything that big, Liz. You'll just need a clean container with a tight fitting lid & a little swimming room.

And I vote for sedating the cats as long as the pets are examined by a vet & that vet prescibes the sedative. It's the safest way to go. I've also heard that if you're putting the cats in crates in a moving van that you should not put the crates directly on the floor between the front seats. Apparently it gets really really hot there.

Here are a couple older threads on this topic.
Transporting Family Dog/cats
Pet relocation

Last edited by MrsSteel; 05-18-2007 at 01:15 PM..

Old 05-18-2007, 01:17 PM

653 posts, read 2,987,172 times
Liz, you crack me up! Not that you'd bring the fish, but that you're so vehemently defending your decision... We're not all fish-killers, you know!

Man, kitty sedation would have been so great during our 12 hour drive from Florida. Our Snickers gets a little, um, car sick even in the 5 minutes to the vet, so you can imagine 12 hours. She actually had a little donut pillow that she laid in after we couldn't clean the cage anymore, it worked pretty well. ewwwww, just thinking about it..........

Old 05-18-2007, 02:09 PM

607 posts, read 2,431,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
Hmm...goldfish. I think I'd call a local pet store and ask their opinion. Oh, and I don't think he doesn't count just because he's a fish! Heck...we have one plant that is coming with us with special travel considerations. LOL
Don't get me started on plants
I feel as if I am leaving one of my children, when I look at my plants.

I am bringing a few of our plants as well. Maybe the goldfish can be wedged in between my "sweet Williams" and my "Black eye'd Susans"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats