Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 09:05 PM

511 posts, read 2,193,365 times

Advertisements

It might just be her personality, though if she's only been in your home a week she may still be getting used to things. My mom adopted an adult cat from the shelter. In the shelter, she was the most loving, purring, in-your-lap cat ever! There was nothing you could do to keep her off. Once home though, she was standoffish and just wanted to do her own thing. She plays when she feels like it, she gets pet when she feels like it, and she snuggles when she feels like it. Try to approach her and offer a friendly scratch under the chin or a gentle pet and she won't have it. She walks away with her tail straight in the air... spends most of her time chillin on the bed dozing, though she gets her spurts of feline hyperactivity.
One thing about the scratching to check, my mom's cat also had a problem scratching, turns out she had some minor skin issues that she needed medication for. They did not notice the problem at the shelter, and she was cleared as 100% healthy when my mom adopted her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 11:42 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,304,262 times
I agree with the others. Give her time.

In the meantime, there are a few things you can do. So far she is allowing you to pet her, so she trusts you to a point, but she still is not comfortable.

I don't know where and when you feed her, but you may want to start a routine to bond with her. When you eat dinner at night, feed her at the same time and if you can, feed her close to where you eat.

If you're having a snack or dessert, give her a treat at the same time. When we eat our dessert, our cat looks at us and we give her some treats. She also eats dinner with us.

Get some thin small ribbon that you tie with packages (not the wide kind though, the narrow ones) and cut a piece off about 2 to 3 feet. Hold it above her and play with her. I know you said you gave her a toy and she just played with it and then ignored it. But try playing with her. Also, get a flashlight or one of those laser pointers and let her chase it.

When you come home, before you do anything, seek her out and speak to her in a soft happy tone. Say hi to her and then rub her ears, chin, cheeks.

It sounds like you're frustrated and cats can sense that. When you are frustrated, they don't want to bother with you. Just have some patience and confidence and tell her that this is her home too and she is welcome here.

From your post it sounds like she's social around other cats but not people. Which means that probably for most of her life, humans haven't given her much attention. She'll respond when you start changing things and trying to be her friend.

Do you have a window that she can look out of? Put a chair or a scratching post by the window so she can look out of it. If its a chair, put a soft blanket on there, pick her up and put her on it in front of the window.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:07 PM

244 posts, read 714,510 times
As usual, everyone has made some awesome suggestions!

I agree that a week with an adult cat is not enough time for adjustment, especially given her circumstances.

I was wondering if there was any particular cat at the shelter she enjoyed being with? Is it possible to rescue another kitty? Maybe she misses him/her.

I liked thebobs idea of giving her a "window space". We have a window perch and our "independent" kitty, Ella, loves enjoying the sunshine.

Whatever you do, please be patient, and don't feel too bad about the situation. Given enough time and love, things should turn around in no time. I bet in a few months you will think, "I can't believe I didn't think kitty liked me!"

Oh, one last note- thanks for saving an adult kitty, you rock!

Old 12-15-2009, 02:55 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,304,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resilientsmile View Post
I liked thebobs idea of giving her a "window space". We have a window perch and our "independent" kitty, Ella, loves enjoying the sunshine.
Thanks. Our cat loves her window, her blanket and her chair. Yep, its her chair now. But she's happy.

When we moved, the older cat warmed up to the new place within a day. As long as she had her bed, and food bowl, she was fine. The younger one took one full month to get used to it. She'd cry at night because the sounds were different. She doesn't take kindly to change and gets upset when we set up an extra table for company.

So each cat is different. Don't give up on her yet.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,385,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowes View Post
I adopted a cat from the shelter, it has been slightly over a week now.

I am not sure if she is just not liking me or what but I feel kind of bad. She just seemed alot happier at the shelter, she had the run of the place, more or less the queen of the castle.

She spends all her time on my bed, mostly licking and scratching herself. I feel sorry for her because they had told me she had been returned to the shelter twice before this. I had called about this behaviour but they swear she was all checked out when I picked her up.

I guess the reason I am worried is because I have had cats since I was a kid. Can't remember not ever having one. None of them ever acted this way, not for very long anyhow.

She doesn't even come out or off the bed if I call her, or if I come in the door. She gets up to use the facilities and eat that is about it.

I can lay on the bed and start petting her and playing with her, but before long she decides to go lay down again.

I bought a catnip mouse, and she played with it for about 10min and now it is just sitting here.

She just doesn't seem interested in anything!

Anyone have any clue as what I should do? I am starting to feel a little sensitive about this, as in whether or not she is happy with me.

I just think she seemed happier at the shelter <<sniff, sniff>>
Don't worry! You should be elated she likes to sleep on your bed with you and not under it hiding from you. Cats instinctively know the best place in the house to hang out and it must be your bedroom on your bed in your house. One game that might get her excited is to move a short stick or ruler or something under the covers of the bed back and forth. The movement might bring out her "hunter" instinct. My 14/15 year old cat loves this. I play this game under scatter rugs as well and he goes wild trying to pounce and stop the moving thing under the rug with his paws. Of course sometimes you have to let them think they've been successful. LOL.

After enough time has passed and she realizes she isn't going to be taken back to the shelter, she'll probably venture to other rooms. Right now she thinks you might not be any different than the rest of the adopters so she is taking advantage of all the luxury she can get! You should actually be HONORED that she wants to be with you on your bed and isn't hiding somewhere.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:04 AM

123 posts, read 353,838 times
Default new report on rescue kitty!!!

I really can't believe 2 families rescued her and gave her up again. I am already attached to her.

Friday night I got a phone call from one of the volunteers there asking me how we were getting along, I thought that was a wonderful courtesy. They worry also about her staying in a home this time and if anything should occur where I cannot keep her (God forbid) they would welcome Kitty back with open arms, they surely do not want her to go anywhere else but back there.

Really neat thing is the volunteer whom I spoke to had a little history on her and even sent me pictures. She was one of the kitty's there they really spent some time with. I found out she was so pretty, and had wonderful markings because she was part Maine Coon. I, of course know nothing of Maine Coon......just familiar with the name. I need to go to the website and check on this.

I am happy to report that on Wed she greeted me at the door, much to my delight. I almost started crying to see her there. Of course I told her what a good kitty she was for greeting me, and like night and day she is getting more active. Can't believe this is the same kitty I got last week from the shelter. She is even starting to respond to me playing with her.

I had reported that she was washing, and scratching herself consistently and I noticed she is doing this less and less. I think she was scared she wasn't staying here, stressed out and has finally settled in.

I am totally happy that she likes me, I was afraid she didn't. Thought she missed all her friends, human and cats there. She is mine now and daily she is changing and it is sooo much fun to watch her.

As soon as I can figure out how to add her picture I will!!!

All I can say is Thank You to everyone who cared enough to post to my message and give me comfort when I most needed it.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:19 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,385,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowes View Post
I really can't believe 2 families rescued her and gave her up again. I am already attached to her.

Friday night I got a phone call from one of the volunteers there asking me how we were getting along, I thought that was a wonderful courtesy. They worry also about her staying in a home this time and if anything should occur where I cannot keep her (God forbid) they would welcome Kitty back with open arms, they surely do not want her to go anywhere else but back there.

Really neat thing is the volunteer whom I spoke to had a little history on her and even sent me pictures. She was one of the kitty's there they really spent some time with. I found out she was so pretty, and had wonderful markings because she was part Maine Coon. I, of course know nothing of Maine Coon......just familiar with the name. I need to go to the website and check on this.

I am happy to report that on Wed she greeted me at the door, much to my delight. I almost started crying to see her there. Of course I told her what a good kitty she was for greeting me, and like night and day she is getting more active. Can't believe this is the same kitty I got last week from the shelter. She is even starting to respond to me playing with her.

I had reported that she was washing, and scratching herself consistently and I noticed she is doing this less and less. I think she was scared she wasn't staying here, stressed out and has finally settled in.

I am totally happy that she likes me, I was afraid she didn't. Thought she missed all her friends, human and cats there. She is mine now and daily she is changing and it is sooo much fun to watch her.

As soon as I can figure out how to add her picture I will!!!

All I can say is Thank You to everyone who cared enough to post to my message and give me comfort when I most needed it.
My first cat when I was on my own was an apparent Maine Coon cat. Maines are wonderful cats and very smart. I trained mine to do every trick a dog is typically trained to do and more. They take 5 years to finish growing. Make sure NOT to overdue vaccinations (like none at all especiially if he will be inside or under your constant supervision). Maines are predisposed to Cardiomyopathy and too many vaccinations just make it more likely you'll lose your cat prematurely like I did.

Now I have a Norwegian Forest Cat (like smaller Maine Coon with longer fluffier heavier fur) who is 15. I attribute his older age to the primarily natural health and mostly home prepared human quality diet he's been on for 12 years since I adopted him..and having avoided all vaccinations (except for one Rabiles which i would have avoided if I could have). Also don't have your cat fixed until she is at the upper range of age when they have the procedure done.

My first cat was neutered too early and that did NOT help him in avoiding urinary tract conditons that plagued him. His vet recommended dry food diet(Science Diet) was also the worst thing I could have given him.

Don't listen to your vet when it comes to cat food. Do you own research. Read the books on natural pet health. The New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier who now has a newer book out is one I'd strongly recommend you get to keep your cat healthy and well and stunning looking for many years to come.

I was devastated when I lost my cat at such a young age. If I'd cared for him naturally his whole life he may have lived until he was 18 or 20 or more.

Old 07-27-2010, 10:56 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,660,444 times
Could she be depressed ?

Think about that.

She was rejected twice before and I bet she misses her original owner in some sad way.

Let you be the first to really love her !

Old 07-27-2010, 04:22 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,150,794 times
Oh Lord. I brought home a 4 month old kitten once and at about a year I told my roommate "I'm just going to have to find him another home because he seems so unhappy here". Well things did change over time and he became I believe quite devoted and happy - maybe not as clingy demonstrative (thankfully really) as some cats but - we had a palpable bond that people often commented on. I was heartbroken when he crossed the bridge at 11
Each timeline is different, each bond is different.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:54 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,626,592 times
Oh my goodness! Luv! A week is nothing in cat-time. This precious baby has been bounced about so much in her little life, she probably has really withdrawn. She is so afraid of getting her hopes up that this home is here to stay. Her little heart has been broken repeatedly.

You are so LUCKY to have this special baby. Here is your chance to coax her out of her shell. But, S-L-O-W-L-Y!!! Allow her the space she requires right now. Don't pick her up, don't touch her. Walk very quietly and speak very quietly while around her. When you do talk to her, speak to her in a little baby voice, telling her how much you love her, how beautiful she is, and how so glad you are now a part of HER life. If you sing, sing to her. Show her with your voice and eyes and face how so very much you love her!!!

Buy her toys and leave them in the room....get her curious but allow her to go to them in her own time. Give her the best food, and my recommendation, among others, is a raw fed diet. Play her soothing music all day long, such as classical music. Keep the lighting dim. In essence, make her a safe nest as best as possible.

Cat nip is known for its calming effects....give her some, but again, leave it so that she can approach it. Don't demand anything of her, just GIVE HER TIME TO ADJUST.

I have one rescue who I have now had for almost 2 years. Please don't get discouraged by what I am about to say, but I do wish to show you by example how long it can take to get close to a cat who has been so neglected and rejected.

Anyways.....my Bella Angel. No one could get near her except for me, and then I was taking chances on getting bit. She was nasty. She fought with my other cats and I had to separate her for months. I could not brush her. I could not pick her up. Basically, all I could do was what I advised here, and loved her from afar. If you knew how hard it was for me......ah! I am a toucher!

Over time, I gained her trust. This was a cat bounced around like yours for YEARS, and on top of it, severely abused....someone (my guess) had either kicked her or thrown her and she had old internal bleeding going on. I wouldn't give up on my Bella. I coaxed her, I loved her, and finally just this past week she spooned with me when I was asleep one night. I couldn't breathe. I didn't know what to do. I was sent to heaven tens times over!

Oh, yes, over time she did let me touch her and care for her better and more importantly, love her with my hands, not just with my voice. And she turned out to be the sweetest little girl. She was just acting out because she was so scared and was in so much pain!!!!

TIME and PATIENCE is the answer. Please don't give up on this little one. She has been through hell and back and back again. Love her, just love her, and accept her for who she is right now. Love is the answer. With love ALL things are truly possible!!!

YOU MUST HAVE BEEN POSTING ABOUT THE SAME TIME AS I WAS WRITING THIS.....JUST READ YOUR WORDS......THIS IS WONDERFUL......YES!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats