U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 07:12 PM

1,450 posts, read 3,791,168 times

Advertisements

I was going to post about our new kitty, we got him from the shelter after having an elderly cat PTS, although we still grieve for Mike, another furbaby found us, a big, fluffy white Maine Coon with a black tail, we named him Marshmallow.

Well, Marshmallow is missing! He got outside last night and hasn't come back. It was a terrible night, rain, sleet, about 25 degrees, and my poor baby was out in that! Fortunately, Maine Coons are built for cold weather, but that doesn't mean its optimal environment for him!

We walked the neighborhood, made flyers, posted them every logical place, including convenience stores, mail box, nearby community center, vets offices, also, posted on Craigs list, visited 3 nearby shelters, still, no Marshmallow!

The chilling thing is, we've heard many neighbors have lost their pets in the last few days. I shouldn't even let my mind go in this direction, but I can't help wondering if someone is rounding up pets for research labs, pit bull fighting, satanic cults..........I'm going to go crazy wondering!

Do police take reports of missing animals?

Marshmallow has a chip, aren't research labs "required" to scan animals for ships and return them? Of course, there's no way to enforce that. Is there some sort of central database or registery we could put his chip number on, so "honest" labs could cross check? I'm just about out of my mind with worry, any suggestions appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:17 PM

283 posts, read 732,106 times
I believe there are a few lists that exists. My kitty has an Avid chip and is registered with Pettrac. I hope he comes home soon. I had a friend who lost her dog for 4 years and he was later found in Texas by his microchip.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:24 PM

I'm not even sure what type of chip he has, are all chips "scannable" by all scanners?

His got his chip from the shelter, we went there today, they looked it up and said its active, but didn't give me the number, etc. I will go again tomorrow, you can't just call, they're too busy to be bothered looking at each cat cage each time someone calls. Just keep trying!

Old 12-30-2009, 08:41 PM

7,265 posts, read 8,665,734 times
I can't wait until GPS technology advances to the point where a microchip insert can be placed in our pets and we can see exactly where they are if they go missing! Yes I know there are devices/collars that have this capability but I'm talking an implant under the skin!

So sorry your kitty has gone missing. They do like to roam and hunt--I wouldn't assume the worst right off the bat.

Old 12-30-2009, 09:02 PM

4,133 posts, read 13,325,431 times
Very sorry to hear about Marshmallow, I don't know all the specifics about microchipping, it may vary from company to company but definitely post flyers and send to all area vets and notify the company who chipped him and the shelter where you got him from. A reward may help motivate people too, also if there's kids in your area, they may be helpful too. If you follow Moo's thread, the thought is that Moo is in the vicinity and Marshmallow may be too - all the best in finding him (and hoping Moo gets found too) soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I was going to post about our new kitty, we got him from the shelter after having an elderly cat PTS, although we still grieve for Mike, another furbaby found us, a big, fluffy white Maine Coon with a black tail, we named him Marshmallow.

Well, Marshmallow is missing! He got outside last night and hasn't come back. It was a terrible night, rain, sleet, about 25 degrees, and my poor baby was out in that! Fortunately, Maine Coons are built for cold weather, but that doesn't mean its optimal environment for him!

We walked the neighborhood, made flyers, posted them every logical place, including convenience stores, mail box, nearby community center, vets offices, also, posted on Craigs list, visited 3 nearby shelters, still, no Marshmallow!

The chilling thing is, we've heard many neighbors have lost their pets in the last few days. I shouldn't even let my mind go in this direction, but I can't help wondering if someone is rounding up pets for research labs, pit bull fighting, satanic cults..........I'm going to go crazy wondering!

Do police take reports of missing animals?

Marshmallow has a chip, aren't research labs "required" to scan animals for ships and return them? Of course, there's no way to enforce that. Is there some sort of central database or registery we could put his chip number on, so "honest" labs could cross check? I'm just about out of my mind with worry, any suggestions appreciated!

Old 12-30-2009, 09:53 PM

Marshmallow still missing!

Here's some tips I read from a website www.lostmydoggie.com

that might help:

Cats & dogs are very sensitive to smell. Put a used item of your clothing, blanket, towel, anything that has your scent on it outside by the door. Also, put bowls of tuna and cat food around the house. Used litter has a strong odor, use it to attract kitty. We cracked open the garage door so the litter box smell will escape (and dont' scoop it tonight!) We have an old blanket I used last night so it has my scent on the patio, I put a used towel in front of the house, and draped two used towels over the backyard fence. If Marshmallow is nearby and has lost his way he might follow his nose home!

Also, sprayed some of my perfume, Beautiful, on some old tee shirts and hung on the patio and inside the garage. All the smells he associates with home and Mommy! I just hope we don't have too many conflicting smells that confuse him! Maybe take the perfume scented tee shirts down.........

keeping all lights on tonight!

Perhaps open up all doors and windows for awhile to let the scent of the house out

Tomorrow I will check with the road maintenance, whatever they're called, to see if a cat was found run over in the streets around here,..

Its a long and cold night, at least no rain!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:12 PM

4,133 posts, read 13,325,431 times
I think they're scannable as vets and shelters can tell if a pet has been scanned (by the scanner) but not all scanners can read all microchips (ie if the pet has been microchipped by another company), IOW the scanners can tell if the pet has been chipped but may not be able to read it (if a different company chipped the pet). Many shelters and vets have scanners from other companies (mine does) but it may depend where you live, not all do. Also, unfortunately not all owners of microchipped pets registered them which occasionally happens, yes they're microchipped but no they're not registered, thus no info

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I'm not even sure what type of chip he has, are all chips "scannable" by all scanners?

His got his chip from the shelter, we went there today, they looked it up and said its active, but didn't give me the number, etc. I will go again tomorrow, you can't just call, they're too busy to be bothered looking at each cat cage each time someone calls. Just keep trying!

Old 12-30-2009, 11:07 PM

1,393 posts, read 2,655,213 times
Good luck! I hope you find him. He sounds beautiful.

Old 12-31-2009, 09:08 AM

As of 10 am this morning, Marshmallow is still missing. We put up signs every logical place late yesterday afternoon, lets hope someone sees it today. Especially the mailboxes, we put up signs at three mailbox locations. Hopefully someone will see it with today's mail, there is no mail tomorrow.

I will also call road control to see if they've disposed of any cats in this area the past 48 hours. Its obvious by now he can't come home for whatever reason, he would be hungry by now. He's either hurt, dead, or been taken in by some kind-hearted stranger. Lets hope for the best!

I will also go to the shelters again today. Prayers appreciated for Marshmallow, he's the sweetest kitty I ever had!

Old 12-31-2009, 11:03 AM

605 posts, read 2,559,325 times
He is more than likely hidden someplace nearby, and scared. Is there anywhere near your home or your neighbor's he could hole up? Under porches, in cellars, sheds? Cats can squeeze into very small spots.

I hope he returns soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or