U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:04 PM

388 posts, read 948,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
My kitten is now 25/26 weeks old. In a couple weeks I'll be going away for 5 days and she will go to a specialty cat hospital that also has nice boarding facilities for cats. She's never been alone before--I also have a 10 yr old dog who goes to someone's house when I go out-of-town (kitty can't go there).

I'm planning a 3-day weekend away in March. My dog will go to her regular sitter, as usual (25 mi. away).

Do you think my cat (who will then be 8 months old) will be able to stay by herself (assuming she has someone come in once while I'm gone and has a lot of food/water/litter)?

Am I crazy to worry that the kitty will be too lonely without 'her' dog?

Close the toilet lids. They can drown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 03:06 PM

7,177 posts, read 8,625,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post
Close the toilet lids. They can drown.
Mine are ALWAYS closed when not in use...I started that when I got my dog 10 yrs ago and it's an ingrained habit now. I even close them when I'm at someone else's house and I use their restroom!

Old 01-06-2010, 03:17 PM

10,091 posts, read 36,856,826 times
We've left Jax alone (with the other cats) for a weekend, he was 7 months old and did fine. We are away at the moment, but have him with us...I'm not comfortable leaving him for too much longer than a weekend at this point. He seems to find trouble everywhere! I do either close all doors, or prop them open, so no one gets caught in a room. Also block cabinet doors that are easily opened. Toilet lids are always closed, extra litter boxes with lots of extra food and water.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:49 PM

Yeah, Madeleine (the cat) is into everything. I keep doors closed to a few rooms and keep things put away for the most part. She is into testing gravity lately by pushing things off of tables, so I'm learning to keep things away unless I want it to disappear.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:47 AM

1,687 posts, read 4,444,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdropinn View Post
i feel your pain!

When i have to leave my kitty at home when i travel i suffer from terrible separation anxeity.

Meanwhile, neo is watching cable, drinking out of the toilet, walking on the kitchen counters, calling out-of-state kitty friends, raiding the fridge, and inviting the neighbors over for a cook-out. When i come home he looks at me and says, "what? You were gone?"

you are getting some great advice here and i think your little girl will be fine.
Ha Ha!!

Old 01-07-2010, 09:16 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,573,906 times
I should add close your washer and dryer lids. I came home one day from work and found Hackney inside the washer. Luckily it was empty! I'd closed them before hand, but came home that crazy cat had figured out how to push one open. When I go away I either have to tape the lids down or set?lean something heavy on them. I even go as far as to prop open the bathroom door so they don't get stuck inside.

I know it's extreme- but with some cats you have to look at all angles.

I had one I could just leave if I just turned on the radio, clean cat box, lots of food, and a neighbor checking in on her. She was fine. But with Hackney....I've had to get creative.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:05 AM

Not only are my washer/dryer lids closed, the closet door leading to those appliances is kept closed at all times!

Seriously folks, my place is baby/pet proofed on all those things; I'm not worried about the cat's safety as much as I'm concerned that she'll be *alone* without company (her dog or me) for those few days.

But just in case anyone else might be worried, please know that:

- My toilet lids are down and remain so.
- All cabinets/doors/closet doors are closed and remain so.
- All appliances are kept closed and/or away from the cat and/or contained in a pantry (and yes, that door is kept closed at all times as well).
- I don't have a garage.
- Doors to rooms in which kitty is not allowed remain closed.
- All medicines, food, and anything kitty could ingest are kept away behind closed doors.
- Small appliances are unplugged when I go away.
- I leave the TV on for my pets when I'm not home, even for a few hrs.
- Water/food/toys/litter is always available and in a couple places (water bowls upstairs and downstairs).
- Fresh kitty food is always kept so the dog can't get to it, along with kitty's litter and kitty's water bowl in a bathroom upstairs (and yes that toilet lid is down as well!)

Old 01-07-2010, 04:47 PM

2,480 posts, read 4,672,116 times
We are relocated and don't have any friends or family to rely on. We have found a vet that does boarding that has a nice facility-not as big as when we lived in Va but still nice. They give the cats on a rotational basis to come out of their condo and roam.

For me I would rather board my cat then leave them alone most of the day-even if some one was checking on them. I would be too worried of things they are getting into especially at night.

Upon leaving I think I would be like "Monk" double and triple checking that things were closed, enough food , no dangerous items left out-are all my safety caps on the gas stove?
I would be a nervous wreck-I would rather spend the extra money to board her and then have her complain when we pick her up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats