U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 01:00 PM

7,166 posts, read 8,620,829 times

Advertisements

My kitten is now 25/26 weeks old. In a couple weeks I'll be going away for 5 days and she will go to a specialty cat hospital that also has nice boarding facilities for cats. She's never been alone before--I also have a 10 yr old dog who goes to someone's house when I go out-of-town (kitty can't go there).

I'm planning a 3-day weekend away in March. My dog will go to her regular sitter, as usual (25 mi. away).

Do you think my cat (who will then be 8 months old) will be able to stay by herself (assuming she has someone come in once while I'm gone and has a lot of food/water/litter)?

Am I crazy to worry that the kitty will be too lonely without 'her' dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2010, 01:35 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,573,415 times
The cat at 8 mos old will be fine. I had to leave mine for a long weekend at that age. The cat will probably sleep most of the time. But do leave out some toys or even leave a radio on in a room for the cat. Mine like that when I go away for a few days!

Old 01-06-2010, 01:37 PM

4,977 posts, read 4,516,776 times
I think that she will be fine if someone can come and check on her everyday and spend some time petting and playing with her.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:59 PM

I leave the big plasma TV on for her and my dog when I'm at work (I come home everyday for lunch) though I'm sure they both sleep most of the time. She has toys all over the place, as does my dog. I guess I worry because from the time I rescued her (at 6 weeks) she's had the dog for companionship, so she's used to someone/something being around with which to interact/annoy. But maybe I'm just projecting my fears onto her and she won't care if 'her' dog isn't around for 3 days either.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:05 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,636,834 times
I feel your pain!

When I have to leave my kitty at home when I travel I suffer from terrible separation anxeity.

Meanwhile, Neo is watching cable, drinking out of the toilet, walking on the kitchen counters, calling out-of-state kitty friends, raiding the fridge, and inviting the neighbors over for a cook-out. When I come home he looks at me and says, "What? You were gone?"

You are getting some great advice here and I think your little girl will be fine.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM

LOL! Calling out-of-state friends and raiding the fridge would be the least of my worries I think.

My kitty has created meetings in Outlook on my work computer a couple times now because she will not leave the computers alone. I worried that she'd go as far as inviting some VPs to these meetings, so I (had to) install a utility program to lock the laptop keyboard (called "Toddler Keys").

Old 01-06-2010, 02:08 PM

5,142 posts, read 11,470,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
calling out-of-state kitty friends
Thanks for the chuckle.

Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 PM

4,308 posts, read 11,798,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
I feel your pain!

When I have to leave my kitty at home when I travel I suffer from terrible separation anxeity.

Meanwhile, Neo is watching cable, drinking out of the toilet, walking on the kitchen counters, calling out-of-state kitty friends, raiding the fridge, and inviting the neighbors over for a cook-out. When I come home he looks at me and says, "What? You were gone?"

You are getting some great advice here and I think your little girl will be fine.
Mine sit in the window sill looking all pathetic and lonely as I drive away and I swear, the minute my car is around the corner they're leaping off and saying, "Great, she's gone. Now where'd she hide the remote?!"

Old 01-06-2010, 02:22 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,636,834 times
My ever-famous Gunther once called 911 at two in the morning. I had one of those phones that had a red "push-for-emergency" button and Guns was doing what cats do. Walking around on the furniture, checking things out. Including the phone. I woke up hearing "911 - What's your emergency?"

"Well, the emergency is that my cat is nocturnal and I have to get a new phone as soon as the stores open in the morning."

Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM

Reminds me of the parrot or similar bird that called 911. "911 what's your emergency?"

bird: "hello!"

"What's your emergency?"

bird: "hello!"

"Ma'am WHAT'S YOUR EMERGENCY?"

bird singing: "Happy birthday to youuuu."

They finally determined they were speaking with a bird.

LOLOLOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats