U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-08-2010, 05:31 AM

1,933 posts, read 5,684,110 times

Advertisements

We have a stray cat that's been around our street for about a year. My husband made the mistake of feeding it, and now it comes back every day, many times throughout the time. Some people even think it's ours. It's very friendly, and always tries to come in the house, reaches up for the door knob, comes into our garage when the door is up. We think it was owned before, but don't know if it was an indoor cat or an indoor/outdoor cat and never used a litter box. Other neighbors think that it was owned by someone who once lived on our street, and then they moved, and abandoned the cat. It sleeps outside, or in an abandoned house that has a broken window.

We're thinking of taking it in. We have 3 cats already, and of course would get it its shots first and acclimated to our cats before we do so. BUT, I want to make sure it is litter trained, because I do not want to take it in and have accidents all in the house.

We've been keeping it in our garage, and it has its chance to get out everytime we come in and out. Sometimes it leaves, and sometimes it doesn't. When it does, we think it is leaving to got to the bathroom, and then comes back. The litter pan hasn't been touched. We put in regular litter at first, and then when it didn't work, scooped in some clumps from our cat so that maybe he'd want to mark his territory and pee over it, didn't work. Then we bought some kind of special litter that is supposed to attract cats- didn't work yet.

I don't want to not keep him until I've tried all of the possibilities.

What else can I try?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2010, 06:19 AM

3,536 posts, read 4,448,278 times
First of all, put all dirt in the stray's litter box. He/she will use it. Once the cat gets used to using it, then bit by bit, start mixing in kitty litter with the dirt, eventually graduating to all kitty litter. The stray needs to understand the scent of kitty litter means go to the bathroom here.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:45 AM

1,055 posts, read 2,555,800 times
I brought a stray in recently that we had been feeding since this summer....no problem with the litter box, went right to it. He is staying in the office/bathroom area away from our other fur babies. I think "your cat" is possibly just going outside because that is what he is used to but when the litter box is his only option, he will use that.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:06 AM

445 posts, read 786,525 times
We have two cats and one is a former stray who I took in at the age of about 5 months. He did at first use a large potted plant as his litterbox a couple of times but aside from that, he took to the litterbox very well and 4 years later has perfect potty habits. (I wish I could say the same for our other cat). I really think that for most cats, it's instinctive to use the litterbox, assuming the cat doesn't have the option to go outside.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:24 AM

604 posts, read 1,572,604 times
It could be a material preference. He knows of a better (in his mind) place to go. I've found cats are super easy to train to boxes - much easier than training dog to be housebroken!

Old 01-09-2010, 02:16 PM

622 posts, read 860,954 times
Test for FIV and feline leuk before bring the new cat in. Also qurentne for Rabies and have a vet see the cat ASAP!!!

If cat has FIV or Feline luek do not take cat in.

Also spay/neuter right away

Old 01-09-2010, 03:19 PM

3,288 posts, read 6,323,125 times
Just wanted to say that your didn't make a "mistake" by feeding the poor kitty. It's likely been abandoned as it sounds like the cat is very tame and wants to be inside with you. Your husband did a very wonderful thing and I'll bet he/she ends up being being a wonderful pet.

Many ago, my husband did the same thing...fed a stray cat that he thought was pregnant. Turns out she had already had her kittens and was hiding them in a field in back of our house. Once she was getting fed regularly and learned to trust us, she brought us her kittens....we brought them all inside. The kittens were weaned, homes were found for them and we had mom spayed/given shots. We ended up with BEST cat for the next 17 years!! She was awesome....

Old 01-09-2010, 03:51 PM

283 posts, read 464,300 times
I took in a stray last week and he was not litter box trained. The box of dirt worked right away. Mine just didn't know what litter was. Slowly we're mixing in the litter and no more accidents so far. Good luck and thank you for rescuing him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats