U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2007, 08:09 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,379,180 times

Advertisements

We have three cats, the first cat we got when he was a little over a year old, back in 2002 is name Salem, he is the black cat and thinks he is the leader of the pride.

Then about 3 years ago we adopted Rufus, when we found him, he had no claws, had been fixed and was tame like a house cat that accidently got out. HE is a big boy but really just wants to be left alone most of the time, he plays from time to time.

Tumnus is our newest edition, he is pure white, we got him from a foster organization back at Thanksgiving. His previous owner who was an elderly lady had him declawed in the back and the front...which I thought was pretty terrible to declaw them in both the back and front.

We had problems with Salem being dominant and actually hurting Rufus with his claws, so I made the hard decision to have him declawed so he would not be able to be so nasty so Rufus...it worked out well and they had settled into a comfortable routine, they still played but there was no Siamese screaming going on like before.

Well we add Tumnus who in spite of his size acted as if he could take them both on at the same time...I had thought they were settling in pretty well. Tumnus had his own little bed for instance and had no problem with chasing my other two big bruisers out of it if they got in the way.

Well something has changed, Tumnus has lost a little weight and Salem has been tormenting him, biting him on the back of his neck, leaving his own bed or comfortable place just to chase Tumnus from his bed...clearly a dominance issue. Does anyone know what can be done other then just trying to moniter what they do and keep them apart??

What I really don't want to hear about is people objecting to cats being declawed, I hated having to do it to him but I really didn't have a choice unless it was to get rid of Rufus and that was not a choice I was willing to make.

I have decided in future to only adopt cats from foster groups who have already been declawed by a previous onwer, all my cats stay inside unless its to play on a screened in lanai so they are safe but not everyone is so careful with a cat who has been declawed.

The vet has told us that Rufus is about the same age as the other two cats, we had no idea how old he was because he had been dumped in our neighborhood by someone.

Below the catster links are to the different cats pages, its sort of like myspace for cats...there you will see pictures of each of them and a couple of them with the other cats so you can see the relative size...I love my kitties and I want them to get along.

http://www.catster.com/cats/463842

http://www.catster.com/cats/464888

http://www.catster.com/cats/464996
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 08:33 PM

4,585 posts, read 15,339,429 times
You know I used to think the same as you. Until I did many years in animal rescue with a humane society. However, if declawing will give a cat a loving warm home versus being pet to sleep, then I'm all for it.

Last edited by Marka; 05-28-2007 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: removed quote

Old 05-24-2007, 05:55 AM

13,773 posts, read 33,010,927 times
I have one male cat that does the same thing to the other male cat. CoCo (himalayan) will get on Simee's (part siamese) back and bite him for no apparent reason. Simee weighs 20 lbs more than Coco but that doesn't seem to matter. He doesn't bother the female just the male.
Moderator cut: personal - off topic

Last edited by Marka; 05-28-2007 at 03:15 PM..

Old 05-24-2007, 07:00 AM

13,155 posts, read 16,882,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
Well something has changed, Tumnus has lost a little weight and Salem has been tormenting him, biting him on the back of his neck, leaving his own bed or comfortable place just to chase Tumnus from his bed...clearly a dominance issue.

Lisa, be sure that Tumnus is in good health, especially since he has lost some weight.

We had a kitty that lived for many years in harmony with the other two, yet recently one of them started bugging her, chasing her on occasion. It turned out that she wasn't well, but we didn't know it because she was normal in every other way - she ate well, she didn't drink excessively, she behaved normally - nothing out of the ordinary. When she started losing weight, we had her checked.

Often animals will know when one of the pack isn't well, and it's a natural thing to start picking on the weakest in the bunch.

Last edited by Marka; 05-28-2007 at 03:16 PM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 05-28-2007, 09:50 PM

4,585 posts, read 15,339,429 times
It's been a few days, was wondering how the cats are behaving now?

Old 05-29-2007, 12:42 AM

2,267 posts, read 2,379,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleosmom View Post
It's been a few days, was wondering how the cats are behaving now?
We watch them closely...

Tumnus was fully screened when we got him, he was in fine health. While he has lost a little, he is about the same when we got him.

From what the foster people told me, he had been adopted by another family and a cat at their house tormented him terribly so they just took him back...I don't believe cats like to be shuffled around like that, never mind that Tumnus was declawed by his previous owner and can't defend himself against the cat that was tormenting him.

I keep a close eye on him, if I am not around, I make sure that Salem (the trouble maker) does not have access to him. I am also trying to make sure that when Salem acts nicely, I give him extra loving and reinforcement. I'm not sure what else to do for either of them.

We got Salem when he was a year old, he lived with his sister (a litter mate) and his family. They told me he was pretty dominate and would tease his sister...well when we later got a cat, Rufus he teased him as well. I think Salem just thinks he is the leader of the pride...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or