Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 07:15 PM

1,813 posts, read 2,837,820 times

Advertisements

Hello Kitty Experts,

My Alice is 13 years old. She has one hard white bump on her head next to her ear but not on her ear. It's about the size of a big zit on a human, so not very big at all. It doesn't hurt her if I touch it so either she feels nothing or it might be itchy because she liked having it rubbed/scratched. She is acting normally, has the usual amount of energy and desire to eat. Does anyone know what this could be? I imagine it's not a good idea to try and pull it off at home.

She's an indoor cat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 04:47 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,293,224 times
If this is something new, and not what you think is a scratch or scab, then a vet visit may be in order.
Our Harley has a one single bump on his head as well, but it has been there since birth and he is now 5 yrs old. The instructed us to watch for any change in size, shape or consistency. It has never changed in the least and so we elected to just keep an eye on it and not remove unless it changes in anyway.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:26 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,306,216 times
I had a bump like that on my now up in heaven Tortie cat. We went in a few years ago to the vet and were told to keep an eye on it. Well, several more popped up over the course of time. One was so bad it popped up at the side of her mouth where she couldn't eat. We had to have it removed. Nothing grew back after the removal. She wasn't in pain or anything. But as time went on we found out it was from her bone cancer.

So I'd go to the vet and see what they say and keep an eye on bumps from here on out.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:09 PM

Thank you both. I'm going to take Alice to the vet on Thursday afternoon. She's too special to me not to do it. I know it could be nothing but I don't want to hear months from now that I could have saved her if I nipped this in the bud. She is still acting fine so I'm really, really hoping they tell me it's nothing to worry about.

Old 01-25-2010, 08:16 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,627,090 times
Keep us posted on what the vet says! Here's hoping it's nothing, but I agree, better to be safe than sorry.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
Thank you both. I'm going to take Alice to the vet on Thursday afternoon. She's too special to me not to do it. I know it could be nothing but I don't want to hear months from now that I could have saved her if I nipped this in the bud. She is still acting fine so I'm really, really hoping they tell me it's nothing to worry about.
In my opinion, a vet visit is never wasted. Please, do keep us posted, and fingers, toes and paws crossed it is nothing.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:28 AM

No news on Alice because it snowed today and the vet's office canceled the appointment. She is now supposed to go Monday. I'll let you know what happened!

Old 01-29-2010, 09:21 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,306,216 times
Thanks for the update

Old 02-02-2010, 04:19 AM

I am thrilled to write that Alice is just fine. The bump on her head is nothing serious, just one of those quirky things that appears on the skin. She got a shot of an antibiotic to clear up the new redness it has. They're giving her ten days for that to clear up, and if the color is gone, we're out of the woods. The bump will stay but it doesn't matter. I was so relieved she doesn't have cancer, because the bump is so uneven like cauliflower or popcorn. I found another lump on her this weekend and that turned out to be just a skin tag. I worry way too much but I'd rather be one of those people who goes to the vet too much than not enough.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustmeiknow View Post
I am thrilled to write that Alice is just fine. The bump on her head is nothing serious, just one of those quirky things that appears on the skin. She got a shot of an antibiotic to clear up the new redness it has. They're giving her ten days for that to clear up, and if the color is gone, we're out of the woods. The bump will stay but it doesn't matter. I was so relieved she doesn't have cancer, because the bump is so uneven like cauliflower or popcorn. I found another lump on her this weekend and that turned out to be just a skin tag. I worry way too much but I'd rather be one of those people who goes to the vet too much than not enough.
Great, great news! And good for you about being so vigilant! Had it been something serious, you would have caught it in it's early beginnings and likely could have saved her life. Virtual hugs to both you and Alice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats