U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:06 AM

316 posts, read 727,740 times

Advertisements

Last night was rat #4. In our bedroom. At least it wasn't alive and running around at 2AM like rat #3. They're being brought in by our cats. The cats were strays that we adopted last year when we found them struggling to survive. They are very well fed but still have hunting instincts. They have ready access to the outdoors because we have a pet door for our dogs.

Has anyone else dealt with cats bringing home the bacon? How have you dealt with it?

Last edited by AusParent; 01-28-2010 at 10:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 10:10 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,406,995 times
They think YOUR hungry and are trying to teach you how to hunt .. Isnt it nice to know your loved so much ( NOT that much tho .. sorry to me its funny LOL) I think its awesome that the cats think they should provide for you .. so pet em and smile as you remove the "treats" GOOD KITTY!..

Old 01-28-2010, 10:36 AM

316 posts, read 727,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faworki1947 View Post
They think YOUR hungry and are trying to teach you how to hunt .. Isnt it nice to know your loved so much ( NOT that much tho .. sorry to me its funny LOL) I think its awesome that the cats think they should provide for you .. so pet em and smile as you remove the "treats" GOOD KITTY!..
Funny you should say that. After we removed rat #3, one of the cats, presumably the responsible agent, was furious at us for 3 days. He avoided us, then sat with his back to us, probably thinking "Dumb two-legs".

Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 AM

9,348 posts, read 17,259,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AusParent View Post
Funny you should say that. After we removed rat #3, one of the cats, presumably the responsible agent, was furious at us for 3 days. He avoided us, then sat with his back to us, probably thinking "Dumb two-legs".

hahahhaaa... i can SO see this.....

and yeah ... max-the-mighty-hunter-kitty will bring in mice, chipmunks and birds every chance he gets..... he never ventures out of my yard, but it backs up to woods, so, i'm guessing that there is no shortage of things for him to bring in for me......

if they are alive, it turns into a free-for-all with bailey-dog generally ending up the winner with the prize..... the poor creatures get loose and are chased all over the place until they are caught again..... can't really yell at the cats and dogs.... they are just doing what the creator made them to do..... there was one time that he brought a chipmunk in and ran to the back of the house.... i shut him in my bathroom for an hour or so until i was sure the issue was taken care of.... and i have found a dead robin hidden in my shoe rack while i was cleaning.....

i had a cat years ago that would catch critters and leave about half of them out for me....... and i mean half of the critter......

its just one of the joys of feline companionship......

Old 01-28-2010, 11:39 AM

2,455 posts, read 5,652,738 times
I just have to laugh at this post, for it is so real what a cat does! One of my cats, Cookie, who is a wild barn cat, the Queen, THE hunter, leaves me gifts all the time! This is the highest compliment a cat can give you! It is a way of saying THANK YOU for taking care of me! I never know what to expect, but every time I get one of these gifts, I make sure I say thank you to her, and make a really big deal of it. She just sacrificed a very tasty meal that she worked hard to get and gave it instead to ME, to just to say I love you, Mom! The way of the cat! It is just so darn unique!

We can actually learn a lesson from our cats and give gifts to people in our lives who we love just to say thank you for being in my life, and to say, I love you. Cookie is one of the most loving, compassionate beings on this planet, and I learn from her, not the other way around! And I would not have it any other way!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,657,500 times
My Hackney likes to hunt....the wild dollar bills on occasion. He whiskers me awake and usually drops a dolllar bill on my face when he does. I have no idea where he finds them. I'm guess it's either a coat pocket or my skating bag.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:31 PM

2,455 posts, read 5,652,738 times
Talking Gifts of Cats

I have two more stories to tell, both that will be with me to my deathbed.

One is of Junie. Last March, Junie was struck and killed by a car. She was a wild barn cat in my neighbor's barn, and refused to be anything else. She was my garden partner. She was so much more then that to me, but I am not able to put it into words. No matter where she was when I came outside, she would run to me, look up and grin, for being so happy to see me. Every morning during the winter, she would press her face to one of the barn windows, watching for me as I opened my drapes every morning. And then she would know I was up and ready to feed her. She pressed her face against the window so much, that after she died, I stood in front of it, balling my eyes out and much to my wonder, I saw a perfect imprint of her face from the dust on that window! I actually took a picture of that with my camera!

Anyway, last February, Cookie, her biological sister, brought down a pigeon. Keep in mind, Cookie is about 7 pounds soaking wet, so bringing down a pigeon is a LOT of work. She has never brought down a pigeon before. She had it by the side door, and out of curiosity I went out, for she seemed frantic. She was panting, and crying. I stilled my mind and she told me.....please please, Mom, help me get these feathers off.....I can't do it. So, I knelt down in the snow, and plucked this pigeon as my stomach rolled. She also asked me to carry it to the barn to Junie, so I did. I put it gently down right where Cookie asked me to, and here comes Junie running. Oh, boy! What a feast!

Yes. It was HER feast. Her last feast. Little did I know, but Cookie did, that Junie was about to die. And for the love Cookie has for her sister, she downed a pigeon to give her the best meal of her life before she went to heaven. That touched my heart like you will never know.

My second story is Megan. Megan was born a wild barn cat who I helped birth. I misread her and allowed her to stay out with her sister Katie, and her brother, Charlie. Max, her other brother was already in our home, for he portrayed symptoms of FLUTD and at the time, was very ill.

Over time, I noticed Megan kept getting bumped out of the food dish and she was not thriving. So, I managed to catch her and brought her in the house. There! Now, she will be OK!

The very next morning, as I opened the door to feed the outer critters, Megan as fast as lightning, bolted and ran out the door! OH MY GOD! NO!!! I dropped everything I was holding, and in my pj's and barefoot, ran as fast as I could after her, running through my neighbor's back yard as far as I could go, before the wild brush started. I almost got to her, and slowly slowly walked forward, crooning, Megan, please let me come to you. Your safe, I love you......PLEASE stay where you are.......I almost got to her, and then whoosh.....off she went again, and this time right into the wild bushes. I wept. Right there on the spot. I thought I had lost her for good.

I went back home and kept looking out the window in the direction Megan went, hoping hoping I would get a glimpse of her. And then there she was! And she was coming towards the house with what looked like something in her mouth! Oh, how my heart pounded! Closer and closer she came, until she was about 20 feet from my back stairs. In her mouth was a bird! She dropped the bird and just stood there. I crept out of the door, holding my breath, and slowly went toward Megan. She willingly stood her ground, and let me pick her up. And in her eyes she said to me......Mom, I wanted to give you the best possible gift for saving my life. I love you!!!!

Yes, Megan knew how to bring down a bird in the most amazing way, but she did not know how to eat it. That, and the fact she was bumped out of the food dish, no way would she have survived. Today, she is my Muffie, my Love Muff. I will never forget the gift she gave me!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:38 PM

19,865 posts, read 57,417,938 times
When I lived in New Orleans, my cat would dump dead lizards behind one living room chair. He was a house cat, so the lizards got in somehow. He was so proud of his catch. So funny to look back on that!

Old 01-28-2010, 12:44 PM

3,402 posts, read 12,378,682 times
Oh yes.. Delilah (the elderly alpha cat) will leave presents by your doorstep, half of a bird, a teeny weeny mouse with no head... you name it. And we have to make a big deal out of it! OOOOH! AHHHHH! can not dishonor the kitty-gods!

(all the while quietly looking for the other half of the bird, or not wanting to step on a teeny weeny mouse head in the middle of the night in bare feet)

Old 01-28-2010, 12:49 PM

3,619 posts, read 3,359,512 times
I used to have a Siamese cat who would leave "gifts" at my neighbors front door, not mine. I considered it a major slap in the face!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or