U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:49 AM

700 posts, read 2,869,756 times

Advertisements

One of our neighbors cats that has adopted us and stays here as much or more than there sneezes a lot and has a runny nose and eyes. Sometimes it almost seems like it is wheezing. The discharge from the nose and eyes is clear so far, so I don't believe it's an infection. If it was my cat,I would take it to the vet and see if I could get it some help. I hate to see it struggle with this condition and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for home remedies I might could use when it is at our house visiting to try and help some. Also....do you think it's an allergy or something else? I've never had an animal who had this problem. I've googled it,but most suggestions are impossible since it doesn't belong solely to me. What would you do if you were in this situation? Should I not worry about it or should I try and help it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 11:06 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,439,398 times
I have no idea what it could be but the cat is very ill. Runny noses and watery eyes is not normal. That cat really needs to see a vet.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:34 AM

3,402 posts, read 11,979,434 times
There isn't a medication for cats with an URI (upper respiratory infection), if, worst case scenario this is what it is, a vet would prescribe an immune booster probably in the form of a syringe, to be administered at least twice daily. This is what they did for Twix when I took her in.

Since the cat isn't yours, no, I can see your problem there. Other home remedies that they suggested (which I had been doing already) were to gently clean the cats nose with warm saline solution, let it hang around in the bathrooom when you're taking a shower, etc, to help loosen up the phlegm, and above all else, to keep her warm.

Since there is no cure for the "cat cold", treatment revolves around helping the cat fight the infection themselves, rather than fighting it with antibiotics. You can go to petsmart or petco and pick up some PawGel (they have different kinds for different ailments - I would stick to the vitamin immune booster daily supplement.

Since feeding it to Twix (and we treat it as a happy-treat after I clean her nose) she hasn't had these problems since. Now all my kitties line up for there little inch-strip of pawgel, if they like the taste, they'll lick it right off your finger - if they don't like the taste, you may need to get creative. If you put it on their nose they will clean it off and eat it whether they want to or not - I know it's called pawgel - but putting it directly onto their paws has never worked for me, unless I catch them in the middle of a bath.

So while she's visiting, try to keep her warm. Always clean around her eyes and nose (even if you're not helping it from coming back, you will be instilling the habit in the visitor-kitty how it feels to have a fresh clean face) and it will be more consciencous about keeping it clean themselves.

If it were my kitty, I would take it to the vet just for peace of mind. It's depressing that this kitty isn't yours to take better care of.

Sick kitties need extra protien, by the way. If you have any canned wet food - load her up! And sick kitties sleep a lot more than others, as a way of having their body concentrate on healing. It could just be allergies. If her weight begins to drop, that's when I would cross the line of concerned-neighbor, to vehemenent animal lover/protector and scoop her up. Keep us posted!

Old 01-28-2010, 11:59 AM

4,946 posts, read 4,336,411 times
How friendly are you with your neighbors? Would you be able to talk to them about this problem and possible solutions (like a vet visit for maybe antibiotics).

If it is a URI, it is contagious and you may want to take necessary precautions for your cats (if you have any) and the same for your neighbors cats (if they have any).

Poor Kitty should not have to suffer so .

Old 01-29-2010, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
There isn't a medication for cats with an URI (upper respiratory infection), if, worst case scenario this is what it is, a vet would prescribe an immune booster probably in the form of a syringe, to be administered at least twice daily. This is what they did for Twix when I took her in.

Since the cat isn't yours, no, I can see your problem there. Other home remedies that they suggested (which I had been doing already) were to gently clean the cats nose with warm saline solution, let it hang around in the bathrooom when you're taking a shower, etc, to help loosen up the phlegm, and above all else, to keep her warm.

Since there is no cure for the "cat cold", treatment revolves around helping the cat fight the infection themselves, rather than fighting it with antibiotics. You can go to petsmart or petco and pick up some PawGel (they have different kinds for different ailments - I would stick to the vitamin immune booster daily supplement.

Since feeding it to Twix (and we treat it as a happy-treat after I clean her nose) she hasn't had these problems since. Now all my kitties line up for there little inch-strip of pawgel, if they like the taste, they'll lick it right off your finger - if they don't like the taste, you may need to get creative. If you put it on their nose they will clean it off and eat it whether they want to or not - I know it's called pawgel - but putting it directly onto their paws has never worked for me, unless I catch them in the middle of a bath.

So while she's visiting, try to keep her warm. Always clean around her eyes and nose (even if you're not helping it from coming back, you will be instilling the habit in the visitor-kitty how it feels to have a fresh clean face) and it will be more consciencous about keeping it clean themselves.

If it were my kitty, I would take it to the vet just for peace of mind. It's depressing that this kitty isn't yours to take better care of.

Sick kitties need extra protien, by the way. If you have any canned wet food - load her up! And sick kitties sleep a lot more than others, as a way of having their body concentrate on healing. It could just be allergies. If her weight begins to drop, that's when I would cross the line of concerned-neighbor, to vehemenent animal lover/protector and scoop her up. Keep us posted!

I really don't think it's an infection because the discharge is totally clear. He does clean his nose with his tongue,but sometimes he is so stopped up he appears to have trouble breathing. I do keep him well fed with wet and dry food as well as plenty of fresh water. His weight is also good so far. He also gets plenty of love and playtime here and usually seems to feel pretty good. It's just frustrating to watch him struggle to breathe sometimes. I'll look for the Paw Gel and if I think it would help,I will get it for him. Thanks!

Old 01-29-2010, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturen View Post
How friendly are you with your neighbors? Would you be able to talk to them about this problem and possible solutions (like a vet visit for maybe antibiotics).

If it is a URI, it is contagious and you may want to take necessary precautions for your cats (if you have any) and the same for your neighbors cats (if they have any).

Poor Kitty should not have to suffer so .
Don't really know them at all. Actually,they aren't even a part of this subdivision. They live just outside and we are separated by a common area fence. The cats come over the fence to visit. There are several of them,but only two are friendly and loving. The others will just come and eat and keep their distance. It seems to be a case of letting it get out of hand. Most of them have been neutered/spayed though because their ears are clipped. I have spoken to their daughter once and she said they had been in the TNR program and her parents do put dry food out for them,but obviously they aren't getting enough food or attention or they wouldn't be coming over here for it. They definitely aren't getting the necessary care and that's why we felt sorry for them and are helping out as much as possible.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:11 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,789,338 times
The cat needs to see a vet. Sneezing is one of the chief signs of nasal irritation. It could very well be a tumor or fungal infection or chronic bacterial infection of the nasal lining.
When both nostrils are blocked with swollen membranes, the cat sniffles, and has noisy breathing and may breathe through the mouth. But cats usually avoid mouth breathing.

Old 01-30-2010, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
The cat needs to see a vet. Sneezing is one of the chief signs of nasal irritation. It could very well be a tumor or fungal infection or chronic bacterial infection of the nasal lining.
When both nostrils are blocked with swollen membranes, the cat sniffles, and has noisy breathing and may breathe through the mouth. But cats usually avoid mouth breathing.
If it were an infection,he would be dead by now because he's been like that for months.

Old 01-30-2010, 07:17 AM

10,091 posts, read 35,789,338 times
No...but it could be a nasal tumor. I understand the cat is not yours, but it would be hard for me to see it suffer.

Old 01-31-2010, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
No...but it could be a nasal tumor. I understand the cat is not yours, but it would be hard for me to see it suffer.
Yes,it is VERY hard for us as well. That's why I'm trying to find out some possible options to try and help him without crossing a line we shouldn't. We're leaning more towards allergies. We have a friend who has a cat with some of the same symptoms and he was diagnosed with allergies and the vet gave them something they have to administer daily to help him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats