Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:26 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,472,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Those are about the bluest eyes I have ever seen on a cat! Gorgeous!

I think Siamese eyes get bluer as they get older. Here's Jack at 3 months and 1 year:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 03:30 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,032 times
Oh, am I a sucker for blue eyes! I have only one cat with blue eyes, and she only has one blue, the other green! Whew! Those are really blue eyes!

Old 02-10-2010, 04:48 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,418,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Thank you catman and all who said she was pretty. I always haved had Siamese prior to adopting Gracie. I love the "points" and the blue eyes. She looks more Birman or Ragdoll-like but I don't think she is any particular breed.

I don't have very many photos of her because she hates the camera. Everytime one is pointed at her she turns her back. Real catitude.

A friend of mine thinks Gracie had a checkered life before she came to live with me and so doesn't want her past to be revealed by someone who might recognize her photo. So don't tell her I posted her picture here or about the other one in the picture gallery.

I was thinking the same....her face is shaped very much like a Ragdoll. I think your Gracie maybe a Ragdoll mix. And since she is a "pointed" cat, hence the blue eyes. She looks very much like one of my Raggies, Shelby:

I think most people do not give credit to the intelligence of most cats. They can be taught tricks and learn just as quickly as any dog. Mine all sit, beg, lie down, give a paw. Two of them "speak" on command. My daughter has a non standard Munchkin who, when told hands up, stands up on his back legs and puts his paws up high and almost behind his head. If you say "bang", he falls down on his side. It is hysterical to watch!

Old 02-10-2010, 06:56 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I realize some people are going to think I'm just nuts, so they are free to go ahead and think that.

For four years I lived in a house that I believe was haunted. It wasn't very scary or anything after I got used to it, but when I first moved in I kept thinking I'd see someone moving out of the corner of my eye through the dining room and over to the basement door. When I looked straight on, I'd see nothing, but I alway had the impression of a tall thin man in black with a pointy noise wearing a hat. Figured it was a shadow, until a friend that lived with me for a while and was home all day mentioned that there were a lot of noises in the house when she was home alone. And then she said she sometimes even thought she saw a man walking through the dining room toward the basement door, tall man in black, wearing a hat...both of us had goosebumps when I told her I'd seen the same thing. We also would hear a door slam sometimes, and finally we slammed a few of the doors to see which made the same noise, and it was the basement door.

Anyway, a number of times my cats would suddenly jump up and run to the basement door and paw at it and sniff around it and stare at it for a few minutes. I guess they saw him, too.
I don't think you're crazy at all...the 150 year old house my parents bought when I was 12 was loaded with strange energy, and there was a room upstairs that both the cat & I avoided. I never "saw" anything, but I sure felt some kind of presence in that room. While my bedroom was being re-done, I had to stay in that scary room...the cat, who normally slept with me, would not come in no matter how many treats I tempted him with. The nights I spent waiting for my room to be finished were unsettling, to say the least...weird vibes and no kitty to keep me warm and protect me from the dark forces with his mighty claws and fangs, lol!...(truth be told, I spent a good many of those nights downstairs on the living room couch with the cat, cuz I didn't want to be in that room, either!!!)

Old 02-10-2010, 09:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
I was thinking the same....her face is shaped very much like a Ragdoll. I think your Gracie maybe a Ragdoll mix. And since she is a "pointed" cat, hence the blue eyes. She looks very much like one of my Raggies, Shelby:

I think most people do not give credit to the intelligence of most cats. They can be taught tricks and learn just as quickly as any dog. Mine all sit, beg, lie down, give a paw. Two of them "speak" on command. My daughter has a non standard Munchkin who, when told hands up, stands up on his back legs and puts his paws up high and almost behind his head. If you say "bang", he falls down on his side. It is hysterical to watch!
What a gorgeous kitty. Gracie's fur is medium and thick. It doesn't mat or need daily brushing but I do brush her to get rid of the "loose" fur. She has a kink on the end of her tail which now can't be seen but was obvious when I first got her and her fur was thin and sparce.

Here is the reall oddity. She has a double row of toenails on the "thumb" of each front paw. That would be the first toe on the left on the right foot and the first toe on the right on the left foot. To illiustrate: take your thumb and lay it across the palm of your hand. That's the way her toenails grow on these toes. She has the normal ten toes but 12 toenails.
It makes her paws look bigger; sort of like baseball mits.

When I took her to her present vet, a vet tech was clipping her nails and was so amazed at her wierd toes that she called all the other techs and then vets to look at her. No one had ever seen anything like it. Although she lets me cut her other claws, these are almost impossible to clip. So she starts chewing on the deformed nails when she feels they are growing into her foot pads. This dulls the tips. I think that's pretty smart of her. It's the only time any good came from someone biting their nails.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 AM

Default Cuddles

My cuddles is so smart, that he learned by watching the humans, how to open our study door. That particular door is always closed due to all the electronic equipment and research books in it, and all the piles of paper, compliments of the husband.

This cat knew this room was off limits, so he studied his subject. And it was the doorknob. He learned how to stand on his back legs, and open that darn door, so that, my husband had to take the doorknob off! Now we are minus a doorknob on our beautiful 12 paned beveled glass door. Oh well! At least the equipment and the papers are "safe" from the notorious pee-ers in this house!

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 05-12-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 05:57 PM

Default Tigger

I have another acupressure story and it involves Tigger.......

Wee bit of background on Tigger>>>>rescued him at 9 months of age from a cage he was born in and kept in for his entire life. His teeth are permanently stained yellow from all the antibiotics he was given. He has bare spots where no fur has grown back (yet) due to all the inoculations he received. His tail has grown up and over his back, causing massive hip, back and rear leg pain.

OK. This cat is SO smart, that when he is on the acupressure special healing mat, he lies down, getting comfortable of course. We wait. When he is finally settled in (NO touching or grappling with this guy!!!! NOPE! He is too dignified and too smart to be treated in such a demeaning way!) he will show us which paw to start on for the pain he is having. Now, this guy is TRICKY for if you touch him BEFORE he is ready OR if the pain level is too much and the pressure is too hard, that hand that is applying the acupressure will get bit! He is greased lightning and his aim is PERFECT! His teeth will puncture the skin! (another long story but I have been trying for 4 years now to break him of his PTSD/frustration super bite)

IF that is the case and we messed up, we back off and try again. He will then get up, turn around, get settled again, and give us another paw to work on, looking at that paw, then at us. When we finally get it right, he will gently put his head down on my hand, that is usually lying on the table next to him and with such deep deep gratitude, looks at me with eyes brimming over with "Oh, thank you, Mom and Dad!" Both have us have wept, silently, with tears running down our faces. What a feeling to take this guy's pain away, or at least to a tolerable level.

He does get herbs for pain, and flower essences, which he will ask for, and now I have just started him on a Homeopathic Remedy in hopes we can get that pain gone for good. He deserves it!

But, imagine, this cat tells US where and how to do acupressure. He also helps us with other treatments for his brothers and sisters...for he too is a healer. Ever hear of wounded healers? He is most definitely one of them!

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 05-12-2011 at 08:53 PM..

Old 02-11-2010, 06:14 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
My cuddles is so smart, that he learned by watching the humans, how to open our study door. That particular door is always closed due to all the electronic equipment and research books in it, and all the piles of paper, compliments of the husband.

This cat knew this room was off limits, so he studied his subject. And it was the doorknob. He learned how to stand on his back legs, and open that darn door, so that, my husband had to take the doorknob off! Now we are minus a doorknob on our beautiful 12 paned beveled glass door. Oh well! At least the equipment and the papers are "safe" from the notorious pee-ers in this house!
Cuddles is so pretty and smart!

Old 02-11-2010, 06:16 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,830,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
One of our herd, Fluffy, is like that. All our cats know their names and respond to a few phrases like “Want to go out?”, but Fluffy is different.

She can understand what I say, and she can “talk” with certain “words” that she uses for certain situations.

She likes to sleep on my chest when I‘m in bed.
When she jumps up on me and faces her butt in my face, I tell “turn around” and she does.
If she sits there on me, I tell her “lie down” and she does.
When I want to get up, I tell her that and she gets off.

I have tried experiments to see if she really was understanding what I said.
I thought she might be sensing my intent, so I tried thinking about what I wanted her to do, but using using different phrases for those commands.
She didn’t respond.

I thought maybe I was telegraphing by muscle movement, especially with the “I have to get up now Fluff” command, so I made sure I wasn’t moving at all.
She wouldn’t get off until I actually told her to.

Of course none of these are “scientific” tests, but I have lived with her for years and know her pretty well and I believe it to be true.
My Zelda knows my voice and she loves to be talked to. She turns her ears up and purrs when I am talking about different things! She is so sweet!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:27 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Cats must have a sixth sense, mine seems to. If I tell her, "Mother has to vacuum now, you need to go hide", she runs to get under the bed before I get the vacuum out! If I tell her, "We have to go to the doctor now", and just go into the room where her pet carrier is, she hides under the bed. So I don't tell her that anymore. I have to tiptoe to the room, close the door, get the carrier ready, come out and close the door. Then, just the way I walk toward her gets her suspicious, and she runs! Too funny.

I put her toys away into a very deep basket during the day. When I come home in the evening, they are all strewn about, but the basket is perfectly composed and in the same spot as when I left. How does she do that?

An odd thing is that she somehow gets outside when I have not let her out! This has happened several times. I will leave her inside on the couch, say "Bye bye, be back soon". Will come home several hours later...and she is outside!! How does she do that?? Have looked and looked for an open space where she might get out, but haven't found it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats