U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 AM

669 posts, read 717,985 times

Advertisements

My cat Orea is nearly 14, and I noticed only recently that she seems to be deaf. I was taking her picture the one day and she turned her head, and I was calling her and she completely ignored me. She always had a "catitude", and what I thought was "selective hearing". But as I observed more closely, I don't think she hears much at all. Her ears never pivot toward sound, and when I approached her from behind and crinkled a paper near her ears, she didn't repond at all. I know cats are masters at adapting to their disabilities, but I feel SO bad that it took me this long to notice! She does respond when I give a high-pitched whistle, but I know that's typical with an older cat's hearing loss. Except for sleeping a lot more and being just a little thinner, she seems fine otherwise. I do have an appointment for her with the vet this afternoon for a general checkup. I hope such things as kidney failure aren't starting. It's so hard to see our beloved felines getting old!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 11:35 AM

3,403 posts, read 9,322,811 times
Odessa, I'm so sorry for you!

It's so nice to know that she has a loving home, with or without being handicapped. Lots of kitties can't hear, lose it later in life, or were never born with it. Cats are masters at adapting to it, what's important is adjusting your habits to perhaps better keep her comfortable. We had a kitty (Grandpa) who was very old as a stray when he came to us, limping, almost no teeth left, couldn't see very well, the name fit ) - as long as you took extra caution not to sneak up on him and startle him, he was as happy as a deaf fuzzy comfortable clam!

I know it's troubling as they get older and begin to break down. But nothing matters more than how much you love her,
because that will last long after she is gone.

((hugs)) MK

Old 02-08-2010, 12:11 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,052,386 times
I know what you mean about seeing a cat get old. It's hard on us. Been there, done that. At least you are caring abiout your pet to take them into a vet for a check up.

But cats will adapt better to life then us humans. I've got a cat with limited sight in her eye. I don't know how much she can see or what. But she uses SONAR. She sends out a blluurrrp for whatever she's trying to do. She uses a differnt one for jumping up then for figuring out where she is in the dark in the livingroom.

Keep enjoying each other and keep us posted.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:05 PM

669 posts, read 717,985 times
Well, Orea had her vet visit. There MAY be hope, so we'll have to see. He showed me with the otoscope that Orea has a small inflamed mass deep in her right ear. So she will take an oral antibiotic and steriod ear drops for 2 weeks, and we'll see how it goes. She is so good at the vet, never putting up a fuss. He said otherwise, she is in good condition for her age. So let's hope the little dear has some improvement!

Old 02-08-2010, 06:51 PM

1,463 posts, read 2,052,386 times
Hazzah! Some good news. Glad to hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats