U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:16 AM

25,122 posts, read 16,534,794 times
Default Have to leave cats alone overnight

I feel like such a loser because I'm a professional person sitting at my desk trying not to burst into tears over my CATS.

I live in NJ, commute to NYC. It's about a two-hour trip.

I'm required to attend all-day meetings Wednesday and Thursday. There is a snowstorm bearing down on us, but the meeting cannot and will not be cancelled. Therefore, my boss has us set up to stay in the city overnight tomorrow night. I will be leaving my house tomorrow (Wed) at 6 a.m. and not getting home until Thursday night around 6 p.m.

I have four cats, one of whom is blind. The three who can see eat wet food, but they all will eat dry food, so I think they'll be OK if I leave plenty out for them (and lots of water, of course).

However, the blind one only eats the packets of wet Friskies. I've never seen her eat dry food EVER, although she likes popcorn and potato chips (maybe I should leave her a bowl of those?) When she's hungry, she will go sit by her bowl and if it is empty, stay there waiting patiently until I feed her. She's used to being fed when I come home from work, but I am not going to be coming home tomorrow night.

It is just breaking my heart to think of my poor blind cat sitting by that bowl for 24 hours waiting for me to give her some food. Does anyone have any suggestions? Do you think if I put dry food next to her regular bowl she will eat it if she gets hungry enough? (She doesn't eat where the other cats eat because she gets nervous when anyone is near her and growls and swipes at them and then they swipe back.)

Having someone come over is not an option. I moved to where I live three months ago and don't know anyone in my town, and besides, they'd be snowed in, too.

I feel awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:22 AM

1,463 posts, read 1,723,355 times
Oh dear. I am so sorry for you. Have you thought about putting you cat in boarding that is if you have a facility that takes cats?

I know you said you never have seen her eat dry food before but she may have had a few bites of it when no one is around. I had a tortie that only would eat her dry food at night when no one was up or during the day when we were gone. She was an only cat for awhile and that's how I knew she was eating.

You can try putting some dry food in her bowl and taking her to a safe place with just the two of you and try feeding her a few kibbles here and there. Then place some on the food bowl that's hers and see if she gets the idea.

Hope this helps.

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:23 AM

8,205 posts, read 9,956,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Having someone come over is not an option. I moved to where I live three months ago and don't know anyone in my town, and besides, they'd be snowed in, too.

I feel awful.
I have a cat sitter. she runs the little cat toy shop nearby and visits when we are out of town or when the cats are sick and need extra attention. I started by looking for dog walkers and house sitters (both of which are everywhere), getting some recommendations and ended up with this lady, But, there were a lot of other choices. My current cat sitter charges $14 per visit and likes to be tipped. She loves the cat so much that it ends up being about $6 per hour and Jack stays in her lap even after I get home.

Try dog walkers and house sitters. Two good sources.

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:33 AM

9,521 posts, read 21,413,270 times
Have you read "Homers Odyessy"? You sound exactly alike! A story of Homer, the blind cat, and his mistress and cat mates. Great story, makes you laugh, makes you cry!

Overnight, your guys should be fine. Lots of food and water and maybe extra litter boxes. I would put out extra food and water just in case the in-coming storm holds you longer than planned.
Leaving the dry food will be fine. If the blind cat is really hungry, she will eat it. I would NOT leave a bowl of potato chips and/or popcorn. Too much of good thing might really do a job on her digestive tract. I guess the worse, that can happen, is , she doesn't eat for a day. Not a great scenario, but won't do great harm to her either. Water is actually more important.

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:37 AM

15,669 posts, read 25,632,045 times
Can you take her with you to the hotel? Check in first, leave her, then go to the meeting. Leave some water in the carrier for her to drink and leave her in there as it would be a familiar place. Leave her there during Thurs's meeting, pay extra if you have to, then pick her up on the way home.

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
I have a cat sitter. she runs the little cat toy shop nearby and visits when we are out of town or when the cats are sick and need extra attention. I started by looking for dog walkers and house sitters (both of which are everywhere), getting some recommendations and ended up with this lady, But, there were a lot of other choices. My current cat sitter charges $14 per visit and likes to be tipped. She loves the cat so much that it ends up being about $6 per hour and Jack stays in her lap even after I get home.

Try dog walkers and house sitters. Two good sources.
This isn't helping. The snow is starting TONIGHT and no one is going to be able to get to my house anyway.

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:43 AM

3,389 posts, read 8,513,052 times
I am not far from you... I think you should make a backup plan for if you are detained longer than you originally thought. Just because you have a place to stay overnight through the snowstorm doesn't mean that you will have a way home the next morning.

They're stating now that the wind will be the most deadly ingredient of this next snow dump, with winds up into the higher 40 mph, and that they are expecting state-wide power outages and cancelations extending as far into Monday of next week.
They make pet board and grooming houses for this very reason. If anything, I would most likely take only the blind kitty to it, if you're worried about cost. Cats can survive just fine on their own - water is the most important. But how cold will it get with no power by themselves for more than a day is what worries me.

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Have you read "Homers Odyessy"? You sound exactly alike! A story of Homer, the blind cat, and his mistress and cat mates. Great story, makes you laugh, makes you cry!

Overnight, your guys should be fine. Lots of food and water and maybe extra litter boxes. I would put out extra food and water just in case the in-coming storm holds you longer than planned.
Leaving the dry food will be fine. If the blind cat is really hungry, she will eat it. I would NOT leave a bowl of potato chips and/or popcorn. Too much of good thing might really do a job on her digestive tract. I guess the worse, that can happen, is , she doesn't eat for a day. Not a great scenario, but won't do great harm to her either. Water is actually more important.
No, I probably wouldn't really leave her a bowl of potato chips, lol. She usually eats a couple when I'm eating them and she hears the bag rattling.

She's pretty fat, so she won't starve to death. I just feel bad about the whole thing. I will feed her in the morning before I go and then just put out some dry food and like you said, if she is hungry, she will eat it.

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM

3,389 posts, read 8,513,052 times
If we lose power for any extended period of time (and planning on it) we're making backup plans to crate and bundle the kitties up and go kick'it in a hotel for the next day or so, until life gets back to normal. (roads, power, phones, electricity, traffic, etc)

Power went out and stayed out for a few days last year.. and we had to do the same thing. It just got too cold for any of us to sit shivering in the house with our furbabies in the dark. Besides.. any respectable hotel room should have Animal Planet. You can take them with and let 'em catch the highlights of this year's Puppy Bowl while you're out working.

Whatever company you work for can't forbid you from taking them with, you have a handicapped and disabled special needs animal. It would be no different if you had children. If they were making accomadations for everyone that has to be at this meeting, fine! You need a little more wiggle room than others. That's what bein a cat-mom is all about.

Unread 02-09-2010, 11:54 AM

479 posts, read 797,592 times
I pretty much agree with ShelbyGirl. It is a bit more complicated being that the one is blind, but I think they will be fine with food left out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats