Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 07:46 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,342,280 times

Advertisements

That's darling! They really can communicate with us, even if it's clearer some times than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 08:46 PM

41,711 posts, read 74,654,678 times
When we were socializing our cats, we used the slow blink to help them feel at ease. It really did help in getting them to trust us ... after we trapped them, dragged them indoors, and confined them to the basement. LOL

Old 03-28-2015, 05:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 53,776,198 times
Good morning. I don't usually participate in this thread but I see you are talking about wet v. dry food.
I too am a convert. Once I removed all dry kibble from their diet my 13 year old Ragdolls have been much healthier. Their coats and gums are almost perfect. Especially in males UTIs can be fatal. We talk about diet alot in the forum and their are some very informed and generous posters who really go all out to explain why wet is so necessary. They put links to a vet named Dr. Lisa someting. Wish I could provide those links to help explain why it is so important to eliminate all kibble.

I'm sure there are some folks who have fed their cats nothing but kibble their whole lives and can't be convinced but I think there is a difference between living and flourishing. I know it is probably more expensive and certainly not as convenient but i figure I'd rather put my money upfront in healthy nutrition than later in vet bills. I wish everybody continued good luck with their fur babies.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:21 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,712,885 times
My cat is really anxious of new people, but particularly new people making loud noises. He was hiding from apartment maintenance yesterday, but usually when he does that if he hears my voice he will come downstairs because he assumes it is safe again. They were gone when I got home and I start calling for my lil guy. Then I start frantically searching for 45 minutes and couldn't find him in his usual hiding spots. I was really scared he was stolen and I'd have to go all Liam Neeson in "Taken" on some folks.

Anyway about 50 minutes after I get home, he comes running down the stairs.....

LOL!

Old 04-03-2015, 01:37 PM

41,711 posts, read 74,654,678 times
Both my cats are the same about strangers. I had company for a few days last week, and they hid in the basement until we all went to bed. Their food and litter boxes are in the basement, so they had everything they needed without risking contact with strange humans.

My sister and her kids are coming next week for a few days. Poor kitties.

Old 04-03-2015, 02:16 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,712,885 times
I even tried opening cans of food because that is his favorite sound!

Nothing!!!

Old 05-02-2015, 09:17 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,550,405 times
Wow, I have not owned a cat in a few months, and I'm thinking about just going behind the dumpsters at my apartment and just feeding a stray, if I can find one. I really miss having feline company. I miss being in a position to be a responsible pet owner. I don't live where I'm allowed to have a cat. Even if I moved somewhere where I could, I don't know how long I would be able to afford it.

Old 05-03-2015, 01:22 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,244,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
Wow, I have not owned a cat in a few months, and I'm thinking about just going behind the dumpsters at my apartment and just feeding a stray, if I can find one. I really miss having feline company. I miss being in a position to be a responsible pet owner. I don't live where I'm allowed to have a cat. Even if I moved somewhere where I could, I don't know how long I would be able to afford it.
If there are any shelters or rescues close by, you could go there and volunteer to spend some play time with the cats. I'm sure they would be grateful for the attention, and you could get your kitty 'fix'. Might be a win-win situation.
There's nothing wrong with feeding a stray, just be sure you're ready to take on that responsibility long term. Once you start, your heart may not let you stop.

Old 05-03-2015, 05:08 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,550,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
If there are any shelters or rescues close by, you could go there and volunteer to spend some play time with the cats. I'm sure they would be grateful for the attention, and you could get your kitty 'fix'. Might be a win-win situation.
There's nothing wrong with feeding a stray, just be sure you're ready to take on that responsibility long term. Once you start, your heart may not let you stop.
I couldn't find any strays. I think it's time to give the animal shelter a call and sign up as a volunteer for a few days a week.

I guess I'll post this here, because I don't want anyone getting mad at me, like they did in the dogs forum, but I've really been interested in clicker training dogs and cats and maybe even getting a license to become a dog (and cat, mainly cat) trainer. I don't know the process for getting training or an apprenticeship, but I heard you can learn loads from people at the shelter.

I remember I bought a clicker as a novelty gift from a pet store once as teen and got a book from the library on how to use it. In about a week, I had my cute little kitty obeying simple commands and walking on a leash. I really think I could become a decent professional trainer if I knew where to start. (Maybe not; maybe I was just lucky. I don't have a lot of patience with some animals. I usually do for cats but not all animals.)

Old 05-04-2015, 01:02 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,244,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I couldn't find any strays. I think it's time to give the animal shelter a call and sign up as a volunteer for a few days a week.

I guess I'll post this here, because I don't want anyone getting mad at me, like they did in the dogs forum, but I've really been interested in clicker training dogs and cats and maybe even getting a license to become a dog (and cat, mainly cat) trainer. I don't know the process for getting training or an apprenticeship, but I heard you can learn loads from people at the shelter.

I remember I bought a clicker as a novelty gift from a pet store once as teen and got a book from the library on how to use it. In about a week, I had my cute little kitty obeying simple commands and walking on a leash. I really think I could become a decent professional trainer if I knew where to start. (Maybe not; maybe I was just lucky. I don't have a lot of patience with some animals. I usually do for cats but not all animals.)
Go for it.
It will be time well spent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats