Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2018, 05:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 9,369,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Tomorrow I'm going to try a "reverse cat present" experiment. Recently my cat caught a mouse in the backyard, which she left on the patio in front of my back door. I had put it out in a semi-prominent spot in my front yard a couple days ago to see if the neighborhood Cooper's hawk or the neighborhood stray cat might want it, but so far, no takers. So tomorrow I'm going to bring it to work to see if this one certain stray cat I feed will want it. He *looks* like the kind of cat who might catch (and maybe eat) mice once in a while. I've definitely seen him chasing squirrels with a zeal that made me think he was seriously trying to get it. So when I go feed him tomorrow morning I'm going to give him this mouse my cat caught and see what he does with it. I don't know if a several-day-old dead mouse is any good anymore, but maybe he'll appreciate the thought?

Or maybe he'll just look at me like, "WTF is this?!?!"
I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but I've always got the impression that if the prey has been dead for a while, the cat probably won't eat it. That's just from my prior experience when our cats were indoor/outdoor. If any prey showed up as a 'gift' it was either half-eaten, or completely intact, and they never paid any attention to it once it was left. I also noticed the other cats would turn their nose up if it was more than a day old. But let us know how your experiment goes. We're dealing with cats here, so I could easily be proven wrong (again).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2018, 10:21 PM

6,149 posts, read 4,514,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but I've always got the impression that if the prey has been dead for a while, the cat probably won't eat it. That's just from my prior experience when our cats were indoor/outdoor. If any prey showed up as a 'gift' it was either half-eaten, or completely intact, and they never paid any attention to it once it was left. I also noticed the other cats would turn their nose up if it was more than a day old. But let us know how your experiment goes. We're dealing with cats here, so I could easily be proven wrong (again).
If only I had known, I could have mailed him mine.

Old 12-19-2018, 06:45 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Tomorrow I'm going to try a "reverse cat present" experiment. Recently my cat caught a mouse in the backyard, which she left on the patio in front of my back door. I had put it out in a semi-prominent spot in my front yard a couple days ago to see if the neighborhood Cooper's hawk or the neighborhood stray cat might want it, but so far, no takers. So tomorrow I'm going to bring it to work to see if this one certain stray cat I feed will want it. He *looks* like the kind of cat who might catch (and maybe eat) mice once in a while. I've definitely seen him chasing squirrels with a zeal that made me think he was seriously trying to get it. So when I go feed him tomorrow morning I'm going to give him this mouse my cat caught and see what he does with it. I don't know if a several-day-old dead mouse is any good anymore, but maybe he'll appreciate the thought?

Or maybe he'll just look at me like, "WTF is this?!?!"
OK, I just tried this.

He was waiting there in his usual spot, so I went over to him and pulled the mouse out of the newspaper I had put it in. I put it in front of him, and he went to check it out and ... made a reflex that looked like he was gagging. So I said, "Well I guess it's no good anymore." So then I tossed it in the dumpster.

It didn't smell like anything unusual to me, but then, I'm not a cat.

Old 12-19-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
OK, I just tried this.

He was waiting there in his usual spot, so I went over to him and pulled the mouse out of the newspaper I had put it in. I put it in front of him, and he went to check it out and ... made a reflex that looked like he was gagging. So I said, "Well I guess it's no good anymore." So then I tossed it in the dumpster.

It didn't smell like anything unusual to me, but then, I'm not a cat.
Sort of what I thought might happen. The prey was past its 'Best if Used By" date, and our kitties have high standards.

Old 12-19-2018, 01:03 PM

One thing the experience did do was give me an appreciation for cats' smelling ability. Even if I put the mouse near my nose it didn't really smell much like anything, and yet, it appears to have been skanky enough to make a stray cat gag.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:31 PM

Nice little story! Video at link.

College Wrestler Leaps Into Icy Lake To Rescue Cat
Quote:
A college student in Indiana has become a local hero after leaping into freezing water to save a cat on Christmas Eve.

Darden Schurg, a 21-year-old senior wrestler at Wabash College, was visiting family in the city of Hobart when he spotted the cat walking over thin ice before falling into the water.

“I knew there was short time so I had to act fast,” he told IndyStar.

His sister-in-law, Hilda Schurg, posted a video of the rescue ― complete with captions and added music ― on Facebook on Dec. 24. Darden Schurg can be seen swimming toward the cat before standing up in the water with the animal in his arms.

Old 12-29-2018, 06:48 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Quote:
Nice little story! Video at link.

College Wrestler Leaps Into Icy Lake To Rescue Cat

Very nice....thanks!!

Old 02-26-2019, 10:59 PM

16 posts, read 8,995 times
Hmmm, seems superfluous to me. Is the intent for this to be where people can idly chat/brag about nothing in particular regarding their cats, and felines in general, while specific questions and issues still get their own threads? The point zoomed over my head, but hey, how many people's problem is that? LOL

Old 02-27-2019, 10:35 AM

I think this is for itty bitty minor items that probably don't deserve their own thread.

Old 02-27-2019, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Hi, fellow cat lovers:
I know that some of you requested a Cat Chat Sticky for this forum so here you are . I hope that this is what you all had in mind.
Enjoy & meow.
nancy
Perhaps this original post by the moderator will shed some light.

It may not be entirely necessary, but that's fine. You can never have too many places to talk about cats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats