U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 PM

8,549 posts, read 2,542,994 times

Advertisements

OK, I just looked through Wikipedia and I'm pretty sure it's these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodland_vole

No fear of them being a rare species.

Where I live used to be orchards back in the day (prior to the mid-70's), so it was interesting reading this:
Quote:
Woodland voles create high economic loss through the damage they cause to apple orchards. Vole feeding costs apple growers annual losses of nearly $50 million. As such farmers see them as pests. Urban environments have little impact on vole habitat selection.
Maybe I should rent my cat out to some local apple farmers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 01:09 PM

8,337 posts, read 5,676,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
OK, I just looked through Wikipedia and I'm pretty sure it's these:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodland_vole

No fear of them being a rare species.

Where I live used to be orchards back in the day (prior to the mid-70's), so it was interesting reading this:

Maybe I should rent my cat out to some local apple farmers.
They may be a pest, but they are kind of cute.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:22 PM

Actually, you know what? I take that back, I think they might actually be a shrew.

A few species native to my area:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northe...t-tailed_shrew
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elliot...t-tailed_shrew

I'm going to guess it's this one:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_...an_least_shrew
Quote:
This tiny shrew is active at all hours of the day, but mostly at night. Hunting by smell and touch, the North American least shrew digs through loose soil and leaf litter for its prey along the surface of the ground. The behavior of captive individuals suggests it can also tunnel through moist soil in search of food much like moles do. However, it mostly occupies burrows built by other mammals.
This would make sense, because I've been getting the impression they're using the tunnels made by the moles in my backyard.

One thing about all of them is that they have venomous saliva. But it's not enough to kill (or even injure) a cat. Sounds like it could make a very irritating itch, however. I'll have to keep watch on my cat to see that she doesn't start scratching herself unduly in some certain spot.

Old 04-16-2019, 02:35 PM

OK, they're definitely shrews. When my cat caught the one yesterday I looked at the creature real closely and noticed it had a faint (to me) musky smell:

https://blog.nature.org/science/2018...-about-shrews/
Quote:
Shrews may be fierce predators, but they’re small, which means they in turn become prey. Many mammalian predators, including red foxes, raccoons and cats, will attack them but rarely actually eat them. That’s because shrews emit an unpleasant musk that some liken to the smell of skunk.

Old 04-17-2019, 08:08 PM

Aaaand ... she got another one in the last hour or so. Left at my back doorstep as a present!

Maybe I should start a thread chronicling my cat's hunting adventures.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:28 AM

1,107 posts, read 599,549 times
I hope you're cooking up some shrew stew for dinner tonight

Old 04-25-2019, 11:55 AM

16,164 posts, read 10,173,425 times
Took Tiger in to be neutered. He (I thought) is a she and ended up being spayed.

Old 04-25-2019, 11:57 AM

8,337 posts, read 5,676,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
Took Tiger in to be neutered. He (I thought) is a she and ended up being spayed.
Oops.

Old 04-25-2019, 12:15 PM

4,669 posts, read 3,108,652 times
Quote:
Yup, that is how my family's female cat got the name of Clyde. And discovered it when "HE" was expecting kittens. (This was in the days before spaying & neutering were common place.)

Cat

Old 04-25-2019, 04:29 PM

Quote:
LOL! That happened to me when I first got my cat. The first week I was thinking (it) was a he, but after a week when I took (it) to the vet, the vet told me (it) was a she.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats