U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-29-2012, 07:02 AM

5 posts, read 2,681 times

Advertisements

With a personality to match! Lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM

12,827 posts, read 9,113,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afeighner8428 View Post
Could anyone tell me if he is a maine coon?
He's a beautiful boy.

He looks kinda like my mountain cat, gengis...

Old 03-30-2012, 02:49 AM

5,823 posts, read 11,737,876 times
Woke up to the sound of a cat howling outside my house somewhere. I assume it's probably a roving tom looking for some loving. Momma is on the porch, but Tilly is unaccounted for. She could be the one howling, but why would a spayed female cat who is well-fed be howling in the middle of the night?

Anyway, we've had a few cats hang around. I assume, and hope, they are just Toms. Last thing I need is another female cat. I can't take care of any more than I already have.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:11 PM

12,827 posts, read 9,113,410 times
After my mountain cats were speyed/neutered, they no longer wandered very far.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:47 PM

5,823 posts, read 11,737,876 times
Turtle got scared and accidentally scratched me today. It just barely drew blood. I put a bandaid and anti-bacterial cream on it anyway. I was in the bathroom putting on the bandaid and she came in there and meowed at me three times. That's very unusual, as she rarely ever meows. I guess she was making sure I was okay. Maybe she was apologizing, even though it was accidental.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:52 AM

4,308 posts, read 4,955,513 times
My Little Cat tells me when she needs hair ball remedy by jumping into the cupboard I keep the stuff in and knocking the tube out of the cupboard onto the counter. She doesn't need it very often, she only does this once every couple of weeks or so. She is a Very Clever Cat.

Old 04-05-2012, 08:47 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,065,055 times
I have to ask a question for more experienced cat people. I've really only ever been around male cats, but since Jan, we've been sharing our home with our new female feline, Beatrix. Shes a good kid, only 10 months old, hasn't broke anything, doesn't scratch the furniture (carpet is another story though) and is overall a really cool cat - a great addition to our home.

One thing that is driving me up the wall though, is every day at 4 AM she starts to get really vocal. She doesn't meow that much during any other time, but from 4 AM to 6 AM, its like she's giving us a lecture. If I get up and shut her out of our room, well she doesn't like that at all. So I get up and feed her, which distracts her for a few, but then she is back and conversing with us again.

Overall, it's not really a big deal, we ge up about 530 anyways, and we love our kitty, but is this a female cat thing? Are they more vocal? Any way I can curb this behavior? Or is this just our new alarm clock?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:01 AM

6,399 posts, read 5,545,865 times
I have one girl and 2 boys, and the older boy is the one who gets lonely/hungry early. Don't get up and feed her. You're just reinforcing it. Other than that, I'm afraid I don't have any answers.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:19 AM

4,308 posts, read 4,955,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
I have to ask a question for more experienced cat people. I've really only ever been around male cats, but since Jan, we've been sharing our home with our new female feline, Beatrix. Shes a good kid, only 10 months old, hasn't broke anything, doesn't scratch the furniture (carpet is another story though) and is overall a really cool cat - a great addition to our home.

One thing that is driving me up the wall though, is every day at 4 AM she starts to get really vocal. She doesn't meow that much during any other time, but from 4 AM to 6 AM, its like she's giving us a lecture. If I get up and shut her out of our room, well she doesn't like that at all. So I get up and feed her, which distracts her for a few, but then she is back and conversing with us again.

Overall, it's not really a big deal, we ge up about 530 anyways, and we love our kitty, but is this a female cat thing? Are they more vocal? Any way I can curb this behavior? Or is this just our new alarm clock?
Not a female thing, just a cat thing. Some do these kinds of things, it's just a personality quirk. The only thing to do is ignore her. Don't get up and feed her, don't get up and put her out of the room. That is reinforcing her habit.

Ignore it and her, while she's doing it. Eventually she may adjust to your schedule a little better, and/or you will become so accustomed to it you will sleep through it.

(she is already spayed?)

Old 04-05-2012, 09:25 AM

6,399 posts, read 5,545,865 times
Just thinking, I believe the boy who wakes us up is part Siamese. He has the flame point coloring, and blue eyes, and is a talker, which is a Siamese trait. Your new kittie might have a more vocal breed in her. How about a picture?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats