Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:15 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,631,964 times

Advertisements

I am having my feral kitten neutered on Thursday of this week at my regular vet's hospital.

Does anyone know how the clinic on wheels, the one that Feral Cat Focus uses to neuter and spay, what kind of anesthesia they use? They deal mostly with feral cats and I have used their services once. I was quite impressed at how quickly the procedure was done, and how fast the kittens that I took woke up from anesthesia.

I don't want Whispers put into the tank. I think it is a very cruel way to anesthisize a cat for I have seen it done, and my vet has already mentioned it. I am quite concerned that Whispers will not co-operate with the injection for anesthesia. I am scared that he will literally freak. Yes, I am giving him a combination of holistic remedies to really keep him calm, but.....

I was hoping someone here would know how these clinics do their anesthesia, for that is the way I would like Whispers to be done. Why can't they just use gas to put him out? I do understand that the tank is gas, but if they had that for a human, it would be deemed cruel and inhuman. Don't they have flexible tubing that gently lets out gas right into a cat's nostrils? Or am I dreaming?

I just may cancel Thursday and call Feral Cat Focus. I don't believe their kitty wagon is up and running due to the cold yet still here. But, maybe they can refer me. I want the gentlest and best way for my Whispers to be neutered, especially being that he is neurologically compromised. Dang, I'll tell you guys, my nerves are seriously getting the better of me. Time for me to hit my Yoga mat and go for a walk. This little guy has my heart in a way I will describe in my other thread. I am all tangled up with love.

I really appreciate any help here. Your thoughts send them this way if you have any knowledge what I can do. Thank you.

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 02-15-2010 at 11:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2010, 01:54 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,897,975 times
Default Probably Kitasett (sp?)

It's an old drug used to "knock them out" for the few minutes it takes to castrate them. I doubt they intubate them for a castration. I'm getting nervous because my Phaedra get spayed this Thursday at a low-cost spay clinic. I don't know what I'd so if something happened to her......

Old 02-16-2010, 02:32 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,555,563 times
I'm not sure what type of anesthesia they use...isoflurane is the one they used at the e-vet clinic I used to work at, and we'd usually give a dose of propofol IV to knock them out prior to placing the trach. tube that we would administer the iso. through...but if your kitty's in freak-out mode, they won't be able to easily get a vein to get the propofol going, so they may have to "box" him down...it's usually a clear glass box with a small opening just big enough for a plastic hose that delivers iso. & oxygen. I know it sounds cruel, but when all else fails it's the only way to anesthetize without thoroughly stressing the animal out. There are attachments to these hoses that fit over an animal's face, but it could stress them out more...you could certainly suggest it if you think your kitty would be okay with that...maybe if they were to let you put it on him...??? Or let you place him in the box, then cover it with towels so he won't see the techs approaching? I know at our place, we made lots of exceptions for stressed out animals (and owners...lol!) If you explain the situation and your concerns, they should work with you in finding a soultion you're both comfortable with. Good luck, and I hope this helped!

Old 02-16-2010, 09:30 AM

Thank you for the two posters above me. To the "symbol" person, you are in good company, for I too am a nervous wreck. It's a sign that we love our little angels. I will pray for you. Luvmycat, bless you for your comments. I am rethinking all of this right now and thinking of canceling (for now) because I am still so busy with Prinny. He's not in heat now, but who is going to say when is the next time he will be? He doesn't spray YET......God, please don't let my boys teach him THAT! And the other thing that makes me nervous.....he has not been ruled out for Feline Leukemia, even though he is asymptomatic. FIV I can deal with, but FeL??? In this house???? Aint gonna work! And this guy is attached to my heart like no other in this house. I have become his REAL mom!

I was not joking when I posted somewhere on here I have to hit my Yoga mat. My nerves are too raw, and in this job, I have to be the one who is centered and calm at all times. And I good long walk sounds real good to me right now!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:47 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,964,600 times
I consider 'boxing' a cat down to be a very last resort. Even a feral cat can be given injectable anesthetics if you can get him or her into a squeeze cage. Once they are down the gas is extremely safe, but while they are being boxed down they release tons of cetacholamines which do all sorts of bad things to them. Some practitioners swear by it, but I know several technicians who specialize in anesthesia and they refuse to do it. My preferred method of anesthesia for cats is to give a sedative in the muscle and then give induce anesthesia IV after they are calm. I also prefer intubation even for neuters, but if they are low cost and doing many, many procedures in a day I'd be surprised if they would.
Can you call Feral Cat Focus and ask to speak to a vet or technician? They should be able to tell you their protocol.
Good luck and *hugs*!

Old 02-16-2010, 10:48 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,303,887 times
Here's what you need to do........BREATHE.......EXHALE!

Then sit down for a moment by a window or nice place and just 'zone out' for a few moments.

And deal with things as they come up. Don't over fret about the possibilities. Take things in stride if the bad does come up. Worry only causes loss of sleep, headaches and raw nerves.

And believe that in the end it'll all sort itself.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 PM

Default Zone Time

Chasey, you are so right. I did "zone" out while eating breakfast, looking out the window and watching the deer and birds. I was in the "moment" and it felt wonderful. And within that time, the right answer came.

I will not be neutering Whispers with the Vet that I asked to do it. I have been purposely avoiding another Vet, due to issues. I put my personal feelings aside, and voice mailed her, asking her to do the neuter. She neutered most of my other boys, and she used the IM relaxer prior to surgery, and with intubation AND she allowed me to be there every step of the way. She is tiny, with a tiny, gentle voice and she has a true gift when it comes to animals. I won't let misunderstandings get in the way of what is the best for Whispers. I put down my "gun" and surrendered. I would go to the "nth" degree for my cats and will do what is best for them. Phooey on personal agendas or personal gripes.......my cats are more important. And that is that!

This is why I have been so "tormented" as to what to do. This other Vet it's been like pulling teeth to get her to do anything I want. Plus she mentioned two red flags.....Vaccination while under anesthesia and putting my gentle little special needs baby in the tank. Over my dead body will either one of those scenarios happen!!!!

Thank you for the advice, friend! Now I feel at peace!!!!

Old 02-16-2010, 01:23 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,303,887 times
You're welcome. If I don't like something a vets doing I will tell him or her. I'll take my cat else where. Lucky for me, I have two very good vets under one roof. Plus, they have interests in cats too. That helps a bazillion percent.

So when in times of distress.....DEEP BREATH and EXHALE!

So when's the reschedule for?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:44 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,555,563 times
I'm so glad you're going to someone you feel comfortable with...I drive an hour away to get to the holistic/traditional vet I have come to trust. There are "decent" vets within 10 minutes of my home, but I don't want just "decent" for my little ones, I want someone I trust who is in it for the right reasons and puts their well-being before $!

Old 02-17-2010, 03:36 PM

5,161 posts, read 11,404,262 times
Yep, better to drive further for our furry ones. We drive an hour to our vet, but I like her and I trust her, she would never do anything that isn't in the best interest of our guys .
Will keep you and Whispers in my thoughts... let us know how it goes!

forum rules, please read them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats