Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times

Advertisements

I wasn't paying attention.. and this thread turned into a fight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 12:04 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I wish people here to understand that I have all this knowledge in my head due to all the volumes of books I read and study. Apart from my one statement about cats being exempt from Rabies being wrong, due to my excellent source giving me the wrong information, all other of my statements are true. Believe me, from now on, I am not opening my mouth without proof, for those of you here who need it. True, you don't know me from beans, and there are a lot of people out there who talk nothing but BS. Unfortunately, those are the exact same people who have ruined it for those honest folk who are trying their darnedest to get to the bottom of the truth, the real truth.

My usual method of gaining knowledge is from books, not the internet. So, when asked for proof, I did not have any, as all that "proof" was contained in the myriad of books I have. In order to validate my statements, I searched on the web, and yes, it did take me hours. I made sure my "kids" had Rescue Remedy on board so that it would be quiet, and seeing that all are relatively stable right now, I took the opportunity to back up my words.

No, I was not directly asked to do hours of research. But, in essence that is what it took for I could not post links to my books, no could I?
So....we're just suppose to take your word for it that this is true and correct information because you can not back up your words? Again....I'm sorry...but no, I do not take statements made on the internet as the truth. I need facts, and your right, I don't know you. You said you were a "holistic healer". Is that self taught or are you accredited . Do you take everything you read on the internet posted by an individual as truth? You yourself said your source for the Rabies info was your mentor...the person whom you recommended to a # of people. She (or someone) was downright wrong...which is why I question everything.
I guess I'm just in awe that you would expect us to take your info as fact, with no backup info. Sorry.
And MaryLandKitten...no fight...just questions.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:49 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyGirl1 View Post
Making blanket statements that animals should not be vaccinated is absurd.

I think "absurd" is a poor choice of words. I would respect your desire to vaccinate your cats if that is your choice. But it is certainly a legitimate position to never vaccinate any cat regardless of what the state requirements are.

Personally, my last cat and current cat were vaccinated, but that was the first time ever.

I think you will find many people strongly disagree with vaccination of cats. Absurd? I don't think so.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,662,886 times
Shelby, I am who I say I am. I need not justify myself to you or anyone here or anywhere, for that matter. I never expected, nor did I state anywhere that I expect you and everyone here to take my information I post here as fact. I have encouraged more than one person here, do not take my word for truth, but always go within and seek guidance with your Self, before you act upon anyone's word, even my own.

I publicly admitted my source, NOT my mentor.....you are again putting words into my mouth that do not exist........re: the vaccinations was wrong. That is what motivated me to seek the truth. I gave you and everyone here more then enough information, pro and con, in this thread regarding vaccination, in hopes it would clear up questions people had about this subject. For you to constantly nit pic and be angry towards me is unfair. I have done all I can for everyone here and more. Some people, no matter how much they are given, are ever happy.

I almost walked away from this forum because of you, Shelby. But, for those here who honor the walk I walk, and the talk I talk, I have stayed. Please stay away from me, and my threads. I do not appreciate the personal agenda you have against me. Thank you.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:16 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
I just have to chime in here to point out that while many of you demand links and "proof" of what is said, remember that there is a lot of conflicting information all around us...the internet and books we study from are not always correct. In areas that have not been studied extensively, homeopathy being one of them, there is even MORE conflicting information to weed through and try to make sense of...I know this because I am also studying holistics and sometimes I get so frustrated I want to scream...!

I appreciate the talk you talk and the walk you walk, Garden, and am very grateful to have you here to talk to since we share so many beliefs. People who are hung up on Western tradition will always doubt and fear our way, but we can't let that stop us from speaking up about the things we feel passionate about...I'm sure there are plenty of people on CD that think I'm a nutcase, but that doesn't bother me!

Old 02-20-2010, 04:02 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
I openly love to learn new things. But making statements...as fact with no back up is just wrong.
I apologize for mixing up your "mentor" and your source. I could have sworn in your PMs to me they were one in the same...but I won't go into that. Names appear to be the same.
Ok...Absurd may have been too strong a word. But the misinformation that gets posted sometimes, and I just don't mean you...I'm talking in general is ABSURD. Like...Rabies are not required...let alone the your own link stating it's a $200 fine. You did admit it was wrong...and hell we all make mistakes....but to keep putting out info as fact and saying I cant find it...or telling me to dig deep because it's there, but you can't give it to me is again...absurd. Reason why I question. You told me You had info, I did not. But you wouldn't give the info! All the reasons why I question.
I not thrilled with vaccinating my cats...but for reasons beyond my control they are done. If I had my choice..I wouldn't..I not thrilled with all kinds of chemicals being pumped into their bodies..but again...with Rabies..the law is the law. I don't tell anyone one way or the other to vaccinate their cats..but to do their homework and do what is right for their own cats. Their is a wealth of information out there...all on the internet. So links can be posted.
Garden...I for the life of me can't figure out why your upset...because your questioned? I surely am not trying to quiet you...I just want proof to substantiate your facts. I didn't think that was asking too much. Sorry if you thought so.
And again...no personal agenda against you...I thought that was cleared in the PM's....just looking for straight facts.

I am asking you the same as I would ask my vet. Are you not advocating seeking the truth and doing one's research? I thought that is what I was doing in asking the questions of you.
So, just to get this straight in my head....I should question my vet and his methods, but I should not question you and yours?

Last edited by ShelbyGirl1; 02-20-2010 at 04:47 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-20-2010, 05:33 PM

445 posts, read 1,448,231 times
I didn't realize there was such a huge debate about this. I got a call from my vet last year saying that Raoul was due for his shots (I guess this must have been after his initial 3 year immunization period was up). I explained that he was an indoor cat, mentioned that we also have a dog (which they know, because Louie also goes to that vet) and asked if the shots were necessary. They said no, and that was the end of it.

If I did let Raoul go outside, which I would never do since we live in a busy urban area, then I would get him vaccinated. We have rabid raccoons, even here in downtown Brooklyn.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:56 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
I do not appreciate the personal agenda you have against me. Thank you.
Well out of order.

You seem to think that if people question what you post on here, it's an attack. You state you don't need to "justify" yourself.... well, sorry-o, you do if you want to change anyone's opinion (because at the end of the day, that's what you're after, right?).

If you weren't trying to change people's opinions, to sway them to your way of thinking, then surely this ENTIRE thread could be summed up in two brief sentences: "There are two schools of thought regarding vaccination protocols. Do your research bearing in mind legal requirements."

It may come as a tremendous surprise, but there are still people out there, myself included, who feel a sense of moral obligation to uphold and abide by the law. If the law states that an animal shall be vaccinated for rabies, then that is what we do. It isn't blind faith, it's about values. So when someone comes along spouting "civil disobedience", don't expect people just to lay down and roll over.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:16 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
Good news is that many states, including Ohio, do not require rabies vaccinations for cats. This is not based upon oversight, but rather the simple fact that cats almost never, ever get rabies. It is irresponsible that state legislatures have imposed this obligation and my natural cynicism leads me to suspect that this is more of a revenue generator for vets than a public health measure.

Again, I will assert that there has never been one single reported case of a human being infected with rabies by a cat.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:43 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,132,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Good news is that many states, including Ohio, do not require rabies vaccinations for cats. This is not based upon oversight, but rather the simple fact that cats almost never, ever get rabies. It is irresponsible that state legislatures have imposed this obligation and my natural cynicism leads me to suspect that this is more of a revenue generator for vets than a public health measure.

Again, I will assert that there has never been one single reported case of a human being infected with rabies by a cat.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Quote:
Domestic species accounted for 7% of all rabid animals reported in the United States in 2008. The number of reported rabid domestic animals increased among cats and cattle and decreased among dogs, horses, and sheep and goats during 2008.

In 2008, cases of rabies in cats increased 12.2% compared with the number reported in 2007. The number of rabies cases reported in cats is routinely 3-4 times that of rabies reported in cattle or dogs. Pennsylvania reported the largest number of rabid domestic animals (60) for any state, followed by Virginia (48). In 2008 approximately 1% of cats and 0.3% of dogs tested for rabies were found positive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats