U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 07:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,882 times

Advertisements

I have the same problem except my cat has ruined/shredded one box springs (Stearns & Foster I might add) and working on another. Apparently nothing works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 08:34 PM

5,733 posts, read 11,226,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfo1 View Post
I have the same problem except my cat has ruined/shredded one box springs (Stearns & Foster I might add) and working on another. Apparently nothing works.
Hello and welcome to the forum. This thread has many good ideas about how to protect the underside of your box springs.

Covering the underside with a very sturdy material instead of the gauzy stuff is your best defense.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,469 times
OK i have a quick question. I just adopted a 3 year old cat named Kiki who is so loving but all she does is hide. I got her Sunday afternoon and it is now Tuesday night and she still hides. She pooped under my bed and peed and pooped under my couch. I don't want her under the couch because its very hard to clean under it and she covered herself in it when i got her out from under the couch. I showed her the litter box when i brought her home but its like she doesn't know where it is. My uncle suggested putting her in my bathroom where the litter box is and she's been in there fro 3 hours so i blocked any means of getting under the couch and i opened the bathroom door. I sat there with her and she came out from her little cat house to push her head against my hand then ate and went back to her cat house. Did this 3 times till she wouldn't come out again. I left the bathroom door open to see if she would come out. ANY IDEAS?????

Old 11-20-2013, 03:44 AM

Cats can take a long time, weeks or months, to adjust to a new living situation. Give her time. Let her live in the bathroom for now if that's where she wants to be. She doesn't know where she is or what's happened to her or why.

The fact that she went to the bathroom under the couch tells you how desperately frightened she is. Cats are fastidious animals and do not like to soil where they sleep or eat. She's terrified. Give her time to adjust.

Sitting on the floor like you did, and letting her come to you, is the right thing to do. Keep doing it that way, don't force yourself on her. Talk to her a lot in a soft voice and use her name a lot so she learns what it is.

Feed her a good quality caned diet to keep her healthy and let her adjust at her own speed. congratulations to you both.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,385 times
im having the same problem. as a temporary solution we have barricaded every last inch of the border with pillows and scuba gear and boxes....im looking for a solution that would allow me to have access to it when i need to store stuff myself. im thinking of tearing the sides of boxes apart and taping them together to form one big strip to line the border with but theyre strong and will probably push right through it. i may just get a bunch of tupperwares for under the bed storage and line the border with them and leave them empty until i need to fill them.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:41 AM

43,012 posts, read 86,825,327 times
This thread sure does attract newcomers! If you google the question, it does come up first in the results.

I wonder why it never occurred to anyone to simply remove the bedframe and put the box springs and mattress on the floor.

Or buy one of those platform bed frames. It will be cheaper than buying all of those storage containers.

Google Shopping for Platform Bed Frames: https://www.google.com/#q=platform+bed+frame&tbm=shop

This one is between $111 and $162 for a queen size.

If you want a better quality one, they're available too!

Old 01-13-2014, 09:21 AM

7,032 posts, read 4,689,199 times
You could also do this- Get an accurate measurement of your box spring / bed frame (width X length). Go to your local lumber yard and ask for 1/4" (thick) paneling, and ask if they will cut it to the size you need (will probably take two pieces). Take the bed off the bed frame, lay the panel boards down in the frame, then replace the bed in the frame. You now have 1/4" ply-board covering the bottom of the bed that no cat can claw through, and it's open for the storage you need under the bed. You should be able to do this for around $40.00 or so.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
Hon, we did. Safety IS the issue for your cat. He is in unfamiliar territory and for him to be under the bed is his safe zone. Try for a moment to think like him. Cats are very territorial to begin with, and to be on unfamiliar grounds is very scary for a little guy like him. He needs a place he can call his own, and it looks like under the bed is it for now. Just ride it out, and you will see. He'll be coming out on his own, and this period will be forgotten by both of you. He really needs this, Posh. Just allow him his space. OK?
She's asking just to answer the question. I'm having the same problem with my cat. There are 2 beds in my room but she uses the bathroom under my bed, so I needed to block her from going under that bed. Does anyone have any suggestions

Old 01-19-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyoo11 View Post
She's asking just to answer the question. I'm having the same problem with my cat. There are 2 beds in my room but she uses the bathroom under my bed, so I needed to block her from going under that bed. Does anyone have any suggestions
Actually what you need to do is find out why she isn't using the litter box.

The first and main reason cats toilet outside the box is illness. If she is peeing under the bed, please take your cat to the vet and have a urinalysis done. And if she is older or overweight, have blood work done also.

Old 01-19-2014, 02:30 PM

19,488 posts, read 14,628,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoshQuarters View Post
Wow! Nice answers and funny too (last one).

A safe haven is not something my cat seeks out. I know this cat. For instance, door bell rings. It's a friend who has not been at my apartment before when the cat was there. Friend walks in cat comes out to greet him and rubs up against his legs. Bingo. That happens every time someone comes over. This is a gregarious cat not a runner in fear of anything. This cat took to me first time I ever met him. He's my buddy. I specified when I went to rescue a cat that the cat be outgoing and loving towards me, dogs, and children. I don't have a dog or children, but if a cat is comfortable around either of those then he will be well adjusted and not defensive all the time.

My cat is 200% smarter than any other breed of cat anywhere. He's a true Tuxedo. Everyday I am amazed at the intelligence demonstrated by "W" -- this one is a Democat (never would I name anyone after the goofus ex-president George).

Facts About Tuxedo Cats - Researched and verified by Dr. Magrathea Wallace

The above link is an interesting and informative read. Truly, the Tuxedo is the best cat you can own, but still has a mind of his own. I think there is a human being in "W" trapped in a cat body.

Click my profile picture and you will see "W". Gorgeous cat and everyone says so.

If I was able though, I would adopted every cat in the rescue center because I bonded with most all of them. I understand cats probably as much as any of you, but it's great we all serve them. It tells a lot of the quality of people who have cats.

What do you think of putting some dried eucalyptus branches under the bed? Wouldn't that repel animals? It would me.
Well, I would have given you advice until you put that little blurb in there. Whatever, good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats