U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:36 PM

11 posts, read 72,503 times
Default Effective techniques to keep new cat out from under bed

I have a new to me cat who is 4 years old. He's declawed and perfect in everyway except...... he seems to know he can avoid me by running to the bedroom and getting under my king size bed. I can't get him out except by enticing him with food being put in his bowl --- clanking the bowl with a spoon makes him think I am putting in something tasty!

But it does irk me to no end that I can't get under the bed myself -- too low to the floor, but I think cats can squeeze through a key hole. LOL

Should I put obstacles around the perimeter of the bed or is there some easy home remedy that won't run me out of the room too.

All I want to do is keep my cat out from under the bed. Oh, and I tried some store bought spray called "Boundary" which simply does not work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 07:47 PM

9,712 posts, read 23,343,664 times
I guess, my question would be, why do you not want him under the bed? He probably views it as his safe haven. Once he becomes accustomed to you and his new surroundings, you will find he visits the underneath of the bed less and less. Although, I do have a few who do like to snooze under our beds once in awhile.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:54 PM

55 posts, read 75,089 times
I agree with Shelby, let the cat live under the bed until it feels safe and starts to explore the house. My step-daughter adopted an older cat and she stayed under the bed like forever. She is now out and about and a very visible part of the family. My only concern is that the cat knows where their litter box is. Anytime I introduced a new cat to the house, the first thing I do is put them in the litter box and let them find their way. So good luck with your kitty, just be patient.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:20 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,789,374 times
Agreed. Just allow your new kitty time to adjust. What is the harm in him being under the bed? That is his safe haven right now, that's all. Be patient and allow things to unfold according to your cat's pace.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:31 PM

I want most to keep him out from under the bed when I leave to do something. I have a small apartment with only 3 rooms. Before I leave I close off the bedroom as I do not want him to be in it. And he's not at all scared of me --- he adores me. He's smart as hell and seems to know when I'm getting ready to go and sometimes runs under the bed.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:31 PM

8,380 posts, read 11,551,951 times
Agreed. The safe place is a big comfort to a cat in new surroundings. And, the bed is purrfect what with all those escape routes. A cat I had ripped a hole in the bottom cover of the box spring and when he really really wanted to disappear from some threatening 4 year old, he would climb up in the box spring.

Old 02-22-2010, 08:32 PM

48,871 posts, read 45,073,226 times
cats need a place to hide and feel safe.
so do people.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:07 PM

My cat has all kinds of safe places. Safety is not the issue.

Can't anyone answer my question?

Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 PM

2,457 posts, read 2,789,374 times
Hon, we did. Safety IS the issue for your cat. He is in unfamiliar territory and for him to be under the bed is his safe zone. Try for a moment to think like him. Cats are very territorial to begin with, and to be on unfamiliar grounds is very scary for a little guy like him. He needs a place he can call his own, and it looks like under the bed is it for now. Just ride it out, and you will see. He'll be coming out on his own, and this period will be forgotten by both of you. He really needs this, Posh. Just allow him his space. OK?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:40 PM

I appreciate all responses and I know your intentions are good, but no two cats are alike just like no two people are either. Each is unique and an individualist. My cat is 4 yrs old and he's been mine (and me his) for over a month. It was love at first sight for both of us.

You don't know my cat nor me. So how can you diagnose my cat from another state or another country -- whichever. All you know is your cat not mine. I haven't given you enough info for you to make the kind of judgment you have.

But for the sake of your refusal to listen to what I ask for and what I am saying in bits and pieces of data which is insufficient to use to psychoanalyze my cat --- let's just assume you are correct. Let's say under the bed is his safe haven.

Now my question is I want to prevent my cat and yours cat from going behind my sofa. What spray or what gizmo can I place behind the sofa that would repel a cat, rabbit, or a dog or hamster from going behind my sofa???? Let's also assume that behind the sofa is NOT a safe haven since a dog could get back there too.

Geesh -- the effort I have to go through to get a real answer. Please somebody new answer.

Maybe I need to join a cat forum. Anyone have any suggestions of websites that would give me ideas other than safe havens?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats