U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 02-24-2010, 11:01 AM

8,424 posts, read 21,879,139 times
Default Cat grooming spray/detangler/or natural oil? from petco's stock

My cat is very furry (maincoon) and I really think he needs an all over buzz but he hates that noise. His underfur keeps getting mashed into his skin and trapping the dander and matting. I comb him everyday but he still gets lumpy and "leg buns" (balls of fur on back of legs in in armpits where its baby fine)

I was looking at stuff on petco's website and am going to be making an order from there so I wondered if anyone had tried anything there. I just have no idea what to get him. I thought maybe a special shampoo too?

Suggest anything!

I do comb him with: rat tail fine plastic, regular plastic, fur undercoat rake, boar brush (but the bristles are to dense to really get his body well)

I think I am going to get a undercoat loop rake thing. It worked so much better than my furminator or whatever its called.

I also wondered if I could rub olive oil into his dry skin after removing a hair mat. Will that help and soak in or just get stick and nasty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-24-2010, 11:43 AM

257 posts, read 252,867 times
I've haven't found a detangler that actually works & I'm a groomer. There is a comb with rotating teeth/pins that works pretty good. I'm not sure if they sell it at Petco, but I order from petedge.com. I think there is a minimum order, but they have good prices.

Does your cat groom himself at all? I rarely have to shave down cats because they are matted. It is usually because of allergic owners. The matted cats I have had to shave down weren't grooming themselves for various reasons.

As far as the 'noise' from getting shaved down---are you shaving him yourself or taking him to a groomer? Usually the clippers available to the general public are very noisy and vibrate a lot more than the professional clippers. If you are taking him to a groomer, ask questions. Your groomer should have at least a few years experience in grooming cats. Cats are far more difficult to groom than dogs & most groomers will do them (even if they have no experience) because they can charge more for them.

Unread 02-24-2010, 03:32 PM

1,688 posts, read 3,288,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
I also wondered if I could rub olive oil into his dry skin after removing a hair mat. Will that help and soak in or just get stick and nasty?
I would have thought olive oil + cat skin = bad move.

Why not try an essential oil that can be used straight such as a drop of lavender (they soak in more readily than heavier oils such as olive) or a good dab of pure aloe vera. Or you could go really nuts and mix a drop of lavender in with the aloe vera....

Is the dryness all year round or is it worse now in the winter because the heat's on? Bit of salmon/fish oil in his food would probably help skin too I'd have thought.

We've also got a Maine Coon mix who just HATES being groomed. I've found the easiest was to just use a fine plastic men's comb (most everything else I've tried pulled) but I can only do tiny bits of him at a time. Fortunately, he's rather persnickety about his coat - which is unbelievably fine, baby soft and always smells good - a trick I'd appreciate him passing on to the dogs .

ETA: would a rake not break the fur ?

Unread 02-25-2010, 01:11 PM

8,424 posts, read 21,879,139 times
You should never use EO on a cat (from what I read). They can be toxic to the kidneys and liver. They can be toxic to people if the dose its strong enough. My cat is an old man so I don't want to test it just incase he gets ill.

I used the loop rake and it did not break it but he furminator seems to sometimes. I think the teeth are too small but the rake I used on him that worked was sold as a dog undercoat loop rake.

He kinda grooms. He is older and kinda stiff and cant reach his butt area really well. He HATES the tummy ball area to be groomed. I can push on it up pull out tufts with my fingers but he hates the brush there. His front half where he can reach looks more normal than his back half.

He hates any kinda buzz. When the vet had to shave his arm for a shot he had to be restrained. I would worry that a buzz cut may result in cutting his skin or catching the skin in the clippers. I have caught my skin on clippers and I do not want to be on the business end of an angry cat cut with clips! LOL
Do they make pet groomers with good guards that stay on?

His dryness is all year round but we have heat and ac. Its gotton a lot better since I give him real fish every once inawhile and I go with canned food if he looks a litte druffy.

Maybe I need to design my own detangler and patent it! LOL

Unread 02-26-2010, 08:49 AM

1,688 posts, read 3,288,845 times
I stand firmly corrected on the essential oils. Sorry-o.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats