Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 10:32 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,137 times

Advertisements

I would like to know if anyone has had a great experience with a homeopathic vet?

If so will you please share the vet's info./contact number?

Background ~ my cat has had inflammatory bowel disease for years and I am running out of options with typical treatment and looking for other options.

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 01:12 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
About 10years ago I had an elderly kitty with breathing problems. Conventional medicine did not help her so I tried a holistic vet clinic. My cat was given acupuncture treatment which worked wonders. Ot enabled her to breath normally and prolonged her life. She lived to be 18 finally passing away of old age.

I missed where you asked about an address. This is in Portland OR. I am sure you could find something similar in your area.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:21 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Where are you located?

In general, I think holistic approaches focus on healing at the root of the problem, while the traditional, western approach is to treat the symptoms, kind of like putting a band-aid on. When we het a headache, most of us pop an advil when we should be resting with an ice pack on out heads or maybe taking a nap. Meds, meds, meds...they destroy the immune system and prevent the body from really feeling and intuiting what is going on so it can heal itself properly.

I take my animals to a holistic/traditional vet, (he incorporates both in his practice and still does emergency cases, surgeries, etc.) and I have nothing but wonderful things to say about him. I had an elderly cat who was in liver failure awhile back, and the vet I was going to at the time was just drowning him in meds and he was getting worse by the minute...I called this doctor (the holistic one I see now) and without ever even spending a dime with him, he took the time to talk to me at length about holistic options I could try at home. He even called back 2 days later to find out how kitty was doing...(sadly, he was too far gone by the time he started showing signs of being ill to save him) I always wonder if I had taken him to this guy first, maybe he would have had a chance...without all those meds wreaking havoc on his immune system and killing his appetite...

Since then, I have had 2 neuters done by this vet (one dog & one cat), both went without a hitch & I spent a fraction of what I would have at the vet I used to go to. He even tried to steer me away from buying pain meds because he explained that animals can sometimes exert themselves too much if they can't feel pain signals, which could make the recovery period longer and more difficult than need be...(of course, I insisted on the pain meds anyway & just gave a small amount in the beginning when I could tell the pain was bad)...point being, this guy is definitely NOT just out to make a buck, he really cares about HEALING the animals.

The other thing I loved about him is that he has information about diet printed and ready to hand out to all new clients, and it's NOT supporting Purina or Science Diet...he is honest and explains that diet is the key to maintaining the health & well-being of our animals, and that by-products, grains, & fillers have no place in their regime.

I can't speak for all homeopathic vets out there, but I can certainly say that in my experience I was beyond impressed and I trust this vet completely...in general, I think most vets out there are way too concerned about $ than they are about healing, so it has been truly refreshing to find one that puts our animals first!!! Good luck, and I think you're making a great choice to seek a homeopathic approach in caring for your little one!!!

Old 02-13-2010, 08:24 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,372,020 times
Talk to Garden of Eden! She's a holistic cat remedy healing person

Old 02-13-2010, 09:08 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times
Let me wake up....hold on.....overslept today.....and must finish my "morning" round of Remedies and then go to the barn and feed Whiskers....clean litters....then I will be back on.....I promise....please just hold on everyone!......praying and sending my love while I work........

Old 02-13-2010, 12:37 PM

Default Information

Background history on me: Why should you trust me? You don't know me and there are many scammers out there....etc..... I will tell you this about me. My life is dedicated in saving dying and suffering animals and then bringing those ill animals back to complete health in unconventional ways. I have 6 years experience as an SICU RN and 10 years as an Animal Holistic Healer. To date, I am working with 16 special needs cats, all but one who live in my home. My husband and I have turned our home into their sancturary, and I am in need of more room, especially a clinic. There was a time that you could eat off my floors they were so clean, and everything was neat and orderly. No longer......LOL.....my house belongs to my animals and no longer to us. I am honest and a little too brunt. I don't play games, for I deal with life and death on a daily basis here at Garden of Eden. That being said, let's move on.

First and foremost, I am not an expert in the field of Homeopathy YET, but I too am looking for a Homeopathic Vet. I am in the process of studying this vast field myself. Emilybh suggested in her thread the following:

I believe I left the website www.holistichealthline of the Naturopaths I use: Dr Wim Jansen; his wife Jane Jansen and Peter Morrell. Their office phone number is 508-336-4242 in Seekonk, MA.

I think she quoted a very reasonable price at $50, and believe me, that is reasonable. So, if you want to try that source, and I am thinking about it as well, I would pray about it first and see what YOUR intuition says to do. NEVER do anything unless you first go inward to seek guidance! And that goes for my advice as well!

NOW....to the meat of the potatoes.......

I am COMBINING Homeopathy remedies with a few other modalities. But, first I have questions for YOU. Are you willing to do more then just feed and water your cat and really work to get him well? And it will take both work and time. Are you willing to do so, with the proper guidance? My second question to you is, are you able to study independently of a teacher?

If both of your answers are yes, then read on......

I wish to start with basics FIRST. There is a lot more involved then just Homeopathy.

IF your cat is eating any dry food, immediately, stop feeding him this food. Go and buy chicken baby food and begin feeding small amounts......his bowels need to CALM DOWN and get DE-STRESSED. In a day or so, you judge by how your cat is acting......and observation is EVERYTHING.......give your cat Newman's Own Turkey and Vegetable canned food, small amounts at first and gradually increase the portions. IF you think the vegetables will aggravate you cat's bowels, give only the Turkey or Chicken formula. Give your cat extra SPRING water, NOT tap at ALL, either in the food itself or with an oral syringe. Some of mine will even take water right from a teaspoon.

Give Dr. Judy Griffin either a call or write an email as soon as possible to start your cat on flower essences. She can be found at www.aromahealthtexas.com. I trust this woman and she is the real deal. Tell her directly that Amy from Garden of Eden recommended you, and she will know who you are talking about. Buy the essences in the dram bottles that she recommends, at $7.50 each and buy one empty glass dropper bottle, and I believe she sells the 1oz ones. Oh, yes, you will need a 3cc oral syringe. You can probably buy one at a health food store (call and ask) or online, I know of for sure. That is all you will need. I have come up with a system on how to mix these essences with spring water and how to administer them to my cats. When you get to this part, direct message me, and I will give you my home number so that I can walk you through it. You will see a difference with these flower essences almost immediately, I promise you.

I was a huge skeptic, but I was DESPERATE. I tried a few flower essences from different sources, but kept going back to Judy. She has guided me every step of the way, and if it wasn't for both her expertise and her guidance, my FIV+ cat would NOT be alive today!

NOW for the education part........

The following are the books I highly recommend you start reading. I am going to suggest 3 books on Homeopathy, for when studying to be an RN, I found that one book for a source was incomplete, and studied from 3-4 books at one time. What one book does not have, another will. So that being said, here are the books:

1) Homeopathic Care for Cats and Dogs/Small Doses for small animals by
Don Hamilton, DVM
2) Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats by
Richard H. Pitcairn, DVM, PhD
3) Cats Homoeopthic Remedies (VERY ADVANCED!) (This book is UK)
George Macleod MRCVS, DVSM, Vet FF HOM
4) Homeopathy Beyond Flat Earth Medicine by Timothy R. Dooley, ND, MD

The company I order Homeopathy Remedies from is homeopathyworks.com • 800-336-1695 or Boiron.

There are several other books I am recommending to you as well. They are:

1) Acu-Cat A guide to Feline Acupressure by
Nancy Zidonis and Amy Snow
2) The Natural Cat A Complete Guide for Finicky Owners by
Anita Frazier
3) Raising Cats Natually How to care for your cat the way nature intended by Michelle T Bernard
----This book has errors in it, and the author contradicts herself as well. Some parts are really difficult to dicipher, but overall, this is a really good source book. I hesitate to recommend it. I have the type of brain that I can more or less figure out what the author really means.

There you have it. I know I am throwing a LOT of information out at everyone here, but all of it is invaluable for the health of cats. Again, if the OP has any questions, or anyone else for that matter, direct message me and we will go from there.

I hope I have helped. I stress, I myself am still studying and will be until my final days. One never stops learning, for I feel that I can find something more that is just a little bit better then what I am using now. I urge you to take a serious stand regarding your companions' health, for our medical society does NOT have the answers. It is up to YOU and ME.

Blessings!

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 02-13-2010 at 12:56 PM..

Old 02-14-2010, 01:49 PM

Default redwhiteandblue

I deliberately gave you a lot to think about because any good and reputable Homeopathic MD or DVM is going to tell you to change your cat's basic needs, such as diet. No medicine is going to work unless you work along with it. How can it, if you continuously put in a body those very things that will work against it?

And one more thing......America has been brainwashed into thinking there is a fast and easy magic pill for what ails us. Healing is a JOURNEY, real healing that is. Allopathic addresses the symptoms and only puts a band aid on them, fooling the body into thinking that it is cured. But it is not. Homeopathic medicine addresses the dis-ease, thereby in reality, healing the body completely.

There is no one-two-three easy way to heal not only our animals but ourselves as well. It takes dedication, determination, a lot of change, and a willingness to let go of bad habits. I began this Journey of mine in 1993 when I sustained a severe back injury, and after 2 surgeries was left not walking for 2 years. Can you imagine? Nothing allopathic medicine did cured me. Yes, pain meds did help me manage the pain level. But no cure.

I AM STILL TO THIS DAY SEARCHING FOR A REAL CURE FOR MYSELF AND I AM HOPING THAT WITH MY STUDY OF HOMEOPATHIC MEDICINE, THIS HEALER CAN HEAL HERSELF. COUNT THE YEARS......IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME SEARCHING AND TRYING THIS MODALITY AND THAT ONE.

BOTTOM LINE>>>>>>>>>>>>I AM WALKING TODAY. AND I am determined to bring total wellness to ALL of my cats, and then share that knowledge with the world at large!

Old 02-14-2010, 05:53 PM

791 posts, read 2,959,137 times
Thank you very much for the information. I will look into all products you have suggested. I greatly appreciate your input.
I have actually seen some of those books on Amazon so I'm glad to hear they are worth reading.

I will do anything I can to make my kitty feel better and have a good quality of life. He is not old and I know he has many years of live to live I just need to get him healthy.

Thank you!

Old 02-14-2010, 07:09 PM

Default If you need anything.....

I wish you the best for you and your cat. When you begin walking off the path more trodden, it can be very overwhelming, and if there is anything I can do to make your journey easier, let me know. If you feel anything like I do about my cats, I would do anything to help them get well. It's called love.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:44 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,861,291 times
My daughter used one with her cat whose kidneys were crystalizing. She prolonger her life by 5 good years. She had to put her down in July at age 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats