Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 02:33 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,291 times

Advertisements

My Sassy chipped her left upper incisor and there is either a cavity that has formed, or the nerve itself is exposed. Does anyone know anything about feline dentistry? I will not have this tooth pulled, as it is too valuable for her ripping method of eating. Besides, I don't think pulling this tooth is the answer, for it will only set Sassy up with another problem in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 02:36 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,281,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garden of Eden View Post
My Sassy chipped her left upper incisor and there is either a cavity that has formed, or the nerve itself is exposed. Does anyone know anything about feline dentistry? I will not have this tooth pulled, as it is too valuable for her ripping method of eating. Besides, I don't think pulling this tooth is the answer, for it will only set Sassy up with another problem in the future.
From what I understand cat dentistry involves everything that human dentistry can (fillings, cleanings, etc) except that they put the cat to sleep - at my vet's it wasn't a vet that did the work but an actual dentist that came in once a week! They should be able to fix her tooth!

Old 03-05-2010, 03:07 PM

2,455 posts, read 6,664,291 times
Default Thank you

The ONE cat dentist listed in our phone book for cat dentistry was called today, and their answer right away was a root canal. A root canal??? HUH? I thought a cat can get fillings, and yet......this part of the country seems as usual to be just a tad bit behind......

Not to worry! Where there is a will there is a way! Thanks for the info you just gave me, sunshine! The hunt begins.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:10 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,281,136 times
Quote:
The ONE cat dentist listed in our phone book for cat dentistry was called today, and their answer right away was a root canal. A root canal??? HUH? I thought a cat can get fillings, and yet......this part of the country seems as usual to be just a tad bit behind......

Not to worry! Where there is a will there is a way! Thanks for the info you just gave me, sunshine! The hunt begins.
Even try just calling your usual vet though Garden - he or she must have someone that does cat teeth!

Old 03-06-2010, 01:02 PM

98 posts, read 198,068 times
Quote:
A root canal? That does not seem necessary and well, nothing like I've experienced with my cat's dental issues. I've had two cats that have had the tips of their incisors broken off, and each of them just had the tooth removed. The loss of one incisor has not affected their ability to eat at all.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:47 PM

1,463 posts, read 4,325,020 times
My vet does inhouse dental care. I'd call a vet and see what they can do. Some cats don't respond well to any work done on teeth. Jensen's got several missing teeth from when he was outside before I got him and he's doing all right. If the cat has to loose one tooth it's not like the cat's losing their whole mouth.

Check with your vet for any further advice and keep us updated.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:10 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,134,640 times
Dogs & Cats can get cavities but it is rare, they have more gum plaque build up issues. If the root of the tooth or pulp is exposed it can be extremely painful just like our teeth. A lot of times the tooth is either pulled or a root canal needs to be done. The break leaves the tooth open and can possibly allow an infection to grow--that would be my biggest concern aside from possible pain.
Their teeth a very much like ours ;-)

Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,465,092 times
My vet does the teeth cleaning out in the van when they come to the house. HG, you should look into Dr. Lawrence Cat Calls. She is not much more than a vet visit. No barking dogs, no distractions. No waiting. 513-600-8191.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:59 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,827,150 times
All I know about Cat Dentistry is that I just paid about $600 for Fluffy’s visit.
She had a cleaning and three extractions.

She is getting up in age so before she gets anesthesia these days, she has to have a blood test which added to the cost.
I don’t mind paying for the blood panel because it gives me a good idea of her general health and how she is aging.
We got her about six years ago when she was seven and she had a tooth missing and one of her big fangs is chipped off.
The missing and chipped teeth didn’t cause her any problem, but as she got older she got gum infections that required annual tarter cleaning.

One of the problem teeth was loose, but the infection usually cleared up with antibiotics, but this time it was so loose that the doctor took it out.
She also had to have two molars extracted. I forget what the vet said it was, some kind of lesions I think.
She said it was like cavities in humans and could be real painful so Fluffy would probably feel a lot better with them out.

Fluffy is back to her old self now, sleeping, purring, and demanding to be petted. And, I really think she feel better.

Old 03-08-2010, 03:22 PM

622 posts, read 1,723,801 times
Sadly this is qute common in housecats because most of them are free fed dry kibble instead of raw food or a reputable wet.

The best thing you can do is wean your cat onto a raw meat and bones diet- research first or put him on a canned only diet such as Innova EVO or Instincts. One of the biggest myths out there is that dry helps teeth... it does NO such thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats