Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:52 AM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times

Advertisements

Again I am starting a stupid thread. I'm just puzzled.

In the past, I have had cats that were compelled by human food. Even to the point where nutrition and health were concerns because they would beg incessantly and ignore their food bowl.

Jack, cannot be coaxed to eat the first morsel of human food. Not raw meat, fresh salmon, bacon, cheese. Nothing.

I don't really want him eating human food, but, what's the deal. He eats his cat food exactly the way he should. Eats several times a day. Reasonable poritions. If too much is on his plate, he leaves it and comes back later.

Its just so puzzling that he has no interest in human food.

Anyone else have this?

PS his food is Innova Evo Cat and Kitten dry, but he will eat Nutra Maxcat cans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 AM

218 posts, read 755,459 times
it is my understanding reading about cats that it is smell which will entice them/ the more foul or pungent the smell, the more success. That's actually why the garbage pet food companies (not your brands tho) load up on 'animal digest' and restaurant waste and such to get cats to eat junk they wouldn't naturally eat.
The stinkier and fouler -smelling something is, the more they want it. Try searing the meat a tad- that smell will get the cat.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:01 AM

625 posts, read 1,881,337 times
I have one that will not touch people food, only likes 1 kind of cat treat & a couple kinds of dry food. Turns her nose up at any sort of canned or wet food, too. Weird thing is, she's really chubby. Really hard to bribe her when there's nothing she likes.

Now my other cat eats anything in sight..catfood or people food...even many cooked vegies! She's very long & lean & not an ounce of fat on her. She especially likes crunchy stuff, potato chips, corn chips, cheetos, corn flakes, etc, but her favorite 'treat' is a half dozen plain Cheerios! Can bribe her to do most anything if I have a handful of Cheerios.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:04 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,403,111 times
My MC/Persian mix will eat anything placed in front of him. This morning DH gave him part of a banana and he ate it with gusto!
The rest could care less about human foods...occasionally will chow down on some chicken, but for the most part, turn up their noses.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,435,269 times
Wow our cat gives me no trouble at all, eats his cat food. But our little pomerarian ok i am a very good cook, and the smells drive him insane. He plants his little self on the side of me, and literally begs, it drives me nuts! His Mother my daughter does not want me giving him people food, so once in a while i will give him juice or little pieces of meat and then he eats everything in his bowl. He literally begs me by actually crying, sometimes it is so hard to cook, my friends say maybe i should not cook so good.? Our Pets all have a mind of there own don't they, cats and dogs alike.

Old 03-09-2010, 10:41 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,036,076 times
I have one who loves peanut butter! She can be asleep at the other end of the house and knows when I get the jar of peanut butter out. She will take you down for peanut butter. It doesn't even have to be in the jar for her to know there is pb around. I buy the ritz cracker bits with pb and she will find the box in the bag and drag it out. She will eat just about anything but is crazy for pb. She was a feral kitten when my dh found her and I think that might be part of the reason she will eat anything. She was hanging around the dumpsters, probably eating anything to stay alive.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:40 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,889,493 times
Nice to hear from others about the different foods your cats will eat.
One of my cats likes small pieces of ham, especially the juice from the ham.
The other cat will smell and say "That's not for me, give me my regular food!"
I give them some canned food in the morning and dry food the rest of the day.
I have never given my cats any Human food , for it has been my belief if they get used to that, then they will be searching around the kitchen for human food.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,323,784 times
two of mine will eat human food. They think my food is THEIR food too. My Hackney and I like cheese popcorn and chips. Jensen will seriously eat anything. Even Mandarin oranges!

Only one of mine, Ami, could care less. Unless it's ham........

Old 03-09-2010, 12:02 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,460,769 times
I had a cat years ago that liked green olives. He would hold them and lick them and eventually eat them. If there was a pit he'd eat that too.

Pedro would eat a chicken leg and the only thing left was the ball socket at the top. He could make a chicken breast disappear in a few bites bones and all.

Jack will not eat anything human. He gets up on the counters and walk right by boiled ham, eggs, milk, and everything I described above. Maybe I should just consider myself lucky and call it a day.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:04 PM

15,128 posts, read 32,304,389 times
Mine turns into a wild animal around human food. He loves chicken, turkey, ham and pork chops. He's not too crazy about hamburger and steak. He did eat a piece of potato, carrot and half of a green bean once. But when he found out the green bean wasn't meat, he spit it out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats