Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:07 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,211 times

Advertisements

The best thing to do would be to get him on a good canned only diet such as Innova EVO, Instincts or wellness grain free/core- this coupled with curtain dental sprays you can buy will help stop dental issues. However dental issues are only one of many FIV symtoms, cronic wasing, refuseal to eat, infections, cancer, ect await.

Theres no cure for FIV this cat will die from this disease. Most fiv+ cats only live 5 years after they are found to have the disease yet most cats eat garbage so I wouldn't stake to highly on these grim stats.

Keep inside only , dont declaw, feed a good canned and surprizingly possibly under vaccincate, the more the worse as the surppressed immune system will be further weakened by shots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 09:05 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,213 times
I'm glad to see you're working on a solution that seems to be the best for you. At least you're doing the best you can with what ya got. Let us know what the vet at the SPCA says. I'll be pulling for you.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:50 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,162,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
That doesn't sound good.

FWIW, I have never, ever had a vet tell me my cat's teeth need cleaning.
No it wasn't. I don't know what the deal was, he was probably pushing 70 and he shook like Shakey Jake.

Now that's interesting. Either your cats brush and floss regularly, many vets are after easy money, or I'll have to quit with the catHershey's bars.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,742,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseystarz View Post
I'm glad to see you're working on a solution that seems to be the best for you. At least you're doing the best you can with what ya got. Let us know what the vet at the SPCA says. I'll be pulling for you.

The spca wasn't much help over the phone. They wouldn't give me a teeth cleaning quote without an exam. He got an exam a couple weeks ago, but I would have had to request the quote then. I have to go back for a shot on April 1st, so I'll use that as a chance to ask about his teeth.

The FIV thing is sad. But everyone (cats included) will die, so it's a matter of making the most of the time.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:08 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,742,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
The best thing to do would be to get him on a good canned only diet such as Innova EVO, Instincts or wellness grain free/core- this coupled with curtain dental sprays you can buy will help stop dental issues. However dental issues are only one of many FIV symtoms, cronic wasing, refuseal to eat, infections, cancer, ect await.

Theres no cure for FIV this cat will die from this disease. Most fiv+ cats only live 5 years after they are found to have the disease yet most cats eat garbage so I wouldn't stake to highly on these grim stats.

Keep inside only , dont declaw, feed a good canned and surprizingly possibly under vaccincate, the more the worse as the surppressed immune system will be further weakened by shots.
Did you have a cat with FIV or do you work with them?

Old 03-12-2010, 06:24 AM

Currently my cats/cat may or may not have it... moms cat, she brought home a stray long before marrying my dad that was outdoors/indoors w feral cats- then Bindi my cat fought with hers when we brought him over after parents married. Vet ruled out FIV so parents kinda let nature take it course but the cat in question was old, qute possibly too old for a viable FIV test, or the disease if he had it was too advanced for a test and he died a mysterious and morbid death, pulled out lots of fur, got real thin. wouldnt eat, Even the vet was baffled. thought it was cancer.

So I've done research- Havn't tested for FIV in my cats yet... am afraid too actualy. If the group home found out about them being FIV+ I worry they may get rid of them or make me do it. Better they live with me and then when its time its time... I think.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
The spca wasn't much help over the phone. They wouldn't give me a teeth cleaning quote without an exam. He got an exam a couple weeks ago, but I would have had to request the quote then. I have to go back for a shot on April 1st, so I'll use that as a chance to ask about his teeth.
In fairness to them OP, it's a bit like calling a mechanic and saying, "My car's making a funny noise. How much would it be to fix it?" or better yet - like calling your own dentist, telling him/her you have toothache, and asking how much the bill will be. They just can't tell anything until they see first hand.

I'm *ahem* rather "skeptical" about the figure of 5 years being the longevity for an FIV+ cat after diagnosis. (In other words, I think it's nonsense until I'm shown a scientifically sound study proving me wrong.) I have known many that have lived well into double digits. The oldest one I know of was 19. Her owner swore by a dollop of probiotic yoghurt daily for the cat (yes, owner did know cats are lactose intolerant but said the yoghurt never affected this cat). Yes, we did have an FIV+ cat. No, he's not alive, but his death was totally unrelated to his condition. He had no signs of the disease - he did have asthma and a serious flea allergy, but then so do many non-FIV cats.

FWIW - there are a number of articles out there pointing to the use of fatty acids to improve the immune system. Think it's the omega-3's but not sure.

I know Dr. Fox recommends the addition of good quality fish oils to cat food for gum & dental problems. You can search his articles for the relevant ones.

Dr. Michael W. Fox - Essays, Reviews, Articles on Pet Behavior, Care and Health (http://www.twobitdog.com/DrFox/index.aspx - broken link)

Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,146,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Now that's interesting. Either your cats brush and floss regularly, many vets are after easy money, or I'll have to quit with the catHershey's bars.
We do have one cat that used to like to get up on bathroom sinks and chew on toothbrushes which is kind of funny...... as long as the toothbrush isn't yours.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:50 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,978,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Ha! You can give the Hershey bars to me instead!

Just FYI, unless the teeth are so bad that they're falling out, there is nothing easy about tooth extractions. Frankly, they suck. You'd have to be crazy to offer to a client unless the patient really needed it.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:57 PM

FIV dental issues are common, its one of the main signs of FIV. The good news is cats can live long lives with FIV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats