U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 PM

66 posts, read 105,282 times
Default Is there a cat-safe way to get rid of ants?

Two years in this apartment, and all of a sudden ants are turning up in the bathroom! I don't consider them "inside pets" and want them gone. I've tried to find a product that will be safe as far as Crinkle is concerned... but find I am needing some help. The commercial ant traps say "Not around children or pets". A friend suggested cloves or bay leaves near the baseboards where they seem to be coming in.

Help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 03:13 AM

11,806 posts, read 13,821,570 times
Maybe Sevin dust? It can be used as flea powder on a cat so it can't be too bad for them, but it is a decent insect killer in general from what I know.

Old 03-14-2010, 05:19 AM

672 posts, read 4,057,360 times
I've had the same problem. I put out boxes of poison around our apartment. Only ants can get inside those boxes to eat the poison and bring back to their colony. When the Queen dies after being fed the poison, the ants can't populate anymore.

Just look for boxes with poison where they sell ant poison. They're made for people with pets and should be safe.

I don't think cats would eat ants, at least the ones I've met seem to not mind ants at all, unlike flying insects which are oh so interesting, hehe.

Here's a photo of what I'm describing, they come in different brands:

Last edited by KatrineA; 03-14-2010 at 06:34 AM.. Reason: Added photo

Old 03-14-2010, 06:05 AM

8,464 posts, read 11,826,146 times
Ant spray is very very effective. It is also unsafe for pets. It is not an airborne pesticide. It settles on a surface and the ants die from walking through it. If you spray across door thresholds the ants die from walking across the threshold.

Ants come from somewhere and they are looking for something. Your job is to figure that out. You remove what is attracting them and block their pathways in a safe way. Remove the cat, then spray outside, inside a cabinet that the cat doesn't go in. Around a door, etc. Then wipe off the overspray with detergent and water. Many people spray the risers on stairs which pets do not make contact with, the underside of counter top lip, etc. Don't spray anywhere where the cat will alk or climb because the cat will get the poison on his paws and lick it off.

In a bathroom unless there is an extraordinary lack of hygiene, they probably just want the water or there is a big problem in an adjacent apartment.

A friend of mine had an apartment building where people were complaining and we could not find the problem. Turns out in one apartment the tenant had a huge bag of dog food open in a pantry and the dog had left with her boyfriend a year before. The pest company seriously estimated one million roaches. No kidding. One million. Ants are the same problem, just not as hated as roaches.

Last edited by Wilson513; 03-14-2010 at 06:43 AM..

Old 03-14-2010, 07:15 AM

13,545 posts, read 22,420,220 times
First how big are these ants? If they are a lot bigger than your normal ant they might be carpenter ants which are like termites and you need to notify the apt mgr.

If they are 'normal' size or sugar ants try this. Mix half and half baking soda and sugar. Put it in a small cap like a milk cap or glass bottled coke or beer cap. The sugar draws the ants and the baking soda kills them and it is safe for your cat.

You might also want to ask in the garden or house forum.

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 03-14-2010, 07:48 AM

2,638 posts, read 5,893,102 times
I spray ants with Windex. The old school blue kind that has ammonia in it. It kills the ants and disrupts their chemical trail so they can't follow each other in - spray the trail back to the entry point if you can find it. It usually takes a little persistence but it always works and the cats stay away from it until the ammonia smell dissipates.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:27 AM

8,464 posts, read 11,826,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
I spray ants with Windex. The old school blue kind that has ammonia in it. It kills the ants and disrupts their chemical trail so they can't follow each other in - spray the trail back to the entry point if you can find it. It usually takes a little persistence but it always works and the cats stay away from it until the ammonia smell dissipates.
X2

If you have the patience to kill them over and over, Windex is the product.

Did you know that Windex is the thing to use on house flies and spiders? One direct shot and they are disabled, second shot kills them dead. The whole thing dries stain free even if you shoot them on the curtains, windows, or upholstery. And when they dry, the flies are not mushed up or sticky. You can chase them around the house with it. And, if you miss, you made a poisonous mess on the fruit bowl or the counter top.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:21 PM

11,962 posts, read 7,451,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJacoba View Post
Two years in this apartment, and all of a sudden ants are turning up in the bathroom! I don't consider them "inside pets" and want them gone. I've tried to find a product that will be safe as far as Crinkle is concerned... but find I am needing some help. The commercial ant traps say "Not around children or pets". A friend suggested cloves or bay leaves near the baseboards where they seem to be coming in.

Help would be greatly appreciated!
I'm wondering similarly because my sisters new house keeps getting ants even though she's a neat freak. I'm thinking we should concentrate on the landscaping around the foundation of the house (essentially bare, bro- inlaw is still looking for a 'roundtuit' )- perhaps marigolds will repel? I know ants dislike citrus and I've used essential oil lemon in a diffuser to repel. Cats dislike citrus too, so it was a win win keeping them off kitchen counter LOL.

This is what I found googling- looks like I need to find tansy seed, and a plan on how to contain it.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:06 AM

25,148 posts, read 30,803,918 times
Chili powder is something else you can try, if you can find their trail.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:36 AM

1,385 posts, read 1,855,690 times
Sprinkle Cinnamon around the corners of your kitchen, room, wherever you see them. I did this in our "cat" room and haven't seen one sugar ant for over 3 years.

After about a week, you can clean it up, and your house smells good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats