Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 07:40 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,765 times

Advertisements

For a few weeks, one of my two cats have been pooping outside the litter box.

I noticed blood spots on the slimy stool, but I couldn't figure out which cat it was.

The food has not changed, the litter has not changed...

I just now saw which cat was doing it, and it didn't look like she was struggling or was in pain, but I have learned when a cat goes outside the box it is because they associate the box with pain? Is that correct? So that is why they go outside of it?

Anyways, I think I will hear "take her to a vet" but our only vet in town is a jerk.

I need to find a new vet, but it is so costly...

Have any of you cat owners discovered this problem, had a diagnosis, or know what I could do aside from a vet visit?

Thanks

I have the stool from today in the bag because the vet usually requests it, I just wondered before I pay my week's paycheck if you might know what is causing it.

Kat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:15 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
No idea unless it is IBD. But you are right, a litterbox-trained cat going outside of the box is an indication of pain when eliminating. I think you have to go to the vet and the sooner the better.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:21 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
No idea unless it is IBD. But you are right, a litterbox-trained cat going outside of the box is an indication of pain when eliminating. I think you have to go to the vet and the sooner the better.
Agreed....vet visit warranted.
Bloody stool indicates lower bowel (colon) bleeding.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:22 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,144,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
Have any of you cat owners discovered this problem, had a diagnosis, or know what I could do aside from a vet visit?
No - and there's no way around it, the cat needs to see a vet.

Bloody stools can be a symptom of a myriad of things - from the less serious/easily treated variety, far more serious medical issues. Any animal that is passing blood in either urine or stool, must be seen by a licensed veterinary practitioner as soon as possible.

It's unfortunate you do not get on with the local vet. How far away is the next one you could use? For anything that isn't just plain routine, I drive over 80 miles to the cat vet and about 130 to the vet I use for our dogs. Around here, they're all mixed (large and small animal, but their "bread & butter" is going to be cattle) rural practices, hence the driving for more species specific care.

Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 AM

I made an appointment with the jerk vet since he's seen her before. I will have my mother in law take her in b/c I can't deal with him.

His prices are good, but his bed side manner is awful. He basically treats us like we mutilate our animals or something, even when we had to have him put down our cancer ridden retriever, he was heartless while we were sobbing.

He thinks that if we are going to be pet owners, we should have millions of dollars to afford all the latest cancer treatment, surgeries, and miracles and how dare we have to put her down when it cancer could have been avoided!

When we approach him to ask why he is so mean to pet owners, he simply says, "go somewhere else, you won't find prices any cheaper." But I don't have $350 to take this cat in for a test and get antibiotics, which is what these vets charge up here.

I've called about 8 vets, and either they won't answer questions, have an attitude, are over booked and can't take us, or we have to pay out the nose.

The price for pet care is enough to be done when all these little fellas go over the rainbow bridge.

Anyway, my appointment is at 3:30 today, and I scooped up the bloody stool this morning from the carpet and put it in a ziplock container that's trashable.

I'll report what happens when I get back so that other cat owners can know too incase it happens to their kitty.

TY for repsonding. I knew I had to take her in, I just wish there was a closer vet who cares about the pet owners as much as the pets they care for.

I'm out of work right now and we only have one car, so its really hard to travel far for a good vet, but I really will keep looking it is worth it to not have to get so upset about taking any of my animals in.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:13 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,324,281 times
I hope all goes well.

Keep us posted.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:07 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,824,184 times
Bless you for not hoping the problem will take care of itself. Carting Weasie all over town to try and find a vet clinic that was open was the farthest thing on my mind some years ago, when rain was drenching the city on Memorial Day. One look at blood in the urine I'd just scooped out of the litter box changed that. No way was I going to assume it was a minor UTI which would get better before long (though that's what it turned out to be.)
I wonder whether there's some kind of veterinary ethics commission. Sounds like there's a guy burning out on his profession who needs a talking to.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:34 PM

Thanks for everyone who responded, and to my rep comments, Yes this is Peanut the cat's mom, but the kitty who is having problems is my husband's cat Babygirl.

The appointment is in an hour and I'm dressed in professional clothes. I've been a housewife for over a year and decided to put on my banker trouser's, sport coat, and really doll up to see if I have more courage to give this vet an A$$ chewing should he even look at me funny.

I've had it with people thinking they can walk all over other people and I am doing my civic duty today before I hand him one penny of my money, by letting him know his attitude stinks and I can replace him even if it costs me more money.

I already put up with "welfare" doctors I am assigned to because I don't have insurance for myself so I have to be on this program until I return to work...and they have the bedside manner of an alligator.

if it were doctors seeing my kids treating either of us this way, you bet your bum I wouldn't stand for it. So why should my kitty be any different?

Wish me luck! I think the state I moved to stinks in regards to the medical profession, both kitty and human.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:20 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Aw....good luck...Go get 'em and let him know who is boss!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:58 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,582,606 times
Sending positive thoughts your way...I hope it all gets sorted out & doesn't cost you an arm & a leg! That vet sounds like a real jerk...I hope you find a good one who actually cares...they're out there, but sometimes they're really hard to find. I feel extremely blessed to have the vet I see out here, but it did take quite awhile for me to find him, and I saw some real doozies in the meantime, that's for sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats