U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 01:24 PM

603 posts, read 1,713,900 times

Advertisements

Ok so i have a rescued abyssinian cat who's about 4 years old.Shes a strange cat,sweet,but really weird personality.We've had problems with her before,she'd pee on the bed,on the floor,wherever.She does not have an infection she was checked by a vet.Her new favorite place is now my bedroom,she doesnt really leave it.She hangs out on my dresser by the cat food.Well if i leave my bathroom door open she'll pee and poop on the floor in there,whice is disgusting but id rather it be there then on my bed.Well today she crapped on my dresser.Shes been urinating underneath my bed everyday.I have to move the bed every morning and when i come home from work to clean it.Its gross.The summer is coming and i dont need my house to smell like cat pee.What can i do??I don't want to put her down,trust me ive thought about it,but i cant live like this.Its hard enough to make the decision when the animal is old and ill,the thought of putting her down makes me very very upset.I just need to fix this problem.Please if anyone can offer me any advice,anything at all,i would REALLY appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 01:39 PM

1,688 posts, read 6,605,981 times
OP - do you have any ideas at all as to the "why" of it all?

You mention her confining herself to pretty much one room. That suggests it's the only room in which she feels safe. Is there something that makes that room different to any other room in the house - ie, the absence of dogs maybe?

You mention you've had problems before with her soiling? Did they just stop, were changes made, or what?

If you can, you need to provide more detail - how long have you had her, where'd she come from, what history, if any, do you know and what's her behavioural history with you?

Old 03-16-2010, 02:14 PM

There are 4 dogs that sleep in my bedroom with me at night.She will get nervous with all the other dogs if shes out of the room and theyre all together,but shell come right on the bed with me while the dogs are on it.We got her as a kitten from my job 4 years ago,she had to have her tail amputated as it was broken.Thats her history!She's not the most outgoing cat,if you know what i mean,shes super sweet though and loves to burrow up to me at night.As far as the previous problems,kind of just stopped for a while.She was going from room to room.She stayed in the basement when we first moved into this house 2 years ago,then in my mothers room,then in one of the litter boxes,kind of just hung out in there.Now shes with me.Im thinking of getting another litter box from work and putting that under the bed,maybe she'll use it.I put a wee wee pad under there yesterday and it was peed on but she must have missed it a little as it was still on the floor.My other cat momma will swat at her,she gets jealous,but like i said this isnt the first time ive had this problem with her.Also want to add that i clean the box in my room a few times a day,im very anal about the odor.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 AM

There are a lot of potential stress/trigger factors from what you describe. It could be any one thing or it could be a combination of factors.

Certainly start with a litter tray under the bed - it could be she likes the cave-like atmosphere and feels safe under there. If that's the case, then a covered litter tray elsewhere for her might work too. She needs at least two to choose from.

I don't know the breed very well (ie, are they more highly strung that other breeds?), but I seem to remember another thread on there about an Abyssinian with litter box issues. You might want to look that one up to see if there are any similarities.

As a very last resort, you could discuss with your vet the use of anti-anxiety medication for her. But the medication should not be seen as a cure of and by itself - that's not its purpose - but combined with a behaviour modification program it will allow you to break what might have become habitual behaviour.

Good luck.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:44 AM

Thank you.For the record she is not declawed,none of my cats are...this is the only home shes ever known so i guess this is just how she is.She went on the wee wee pad last night which made me very happy.But she also defecated next to my bed and one of the dogs ate it by the time i went to get paper towels yuck.I just recently watched "cats 101"on animal planet and they had the abyssinian on there!Supposed to be very intelligent cat.Like i said,tomorrow when i go back to work i am going to borrow a litter pan and try that,i have hope that she'll use it since she used the pad.If thats what it takes then thats fine.Whats one more thing to clean lol.

As far as the medication goes,years ago i had my other cat put on Amitriptyline for litter box issues...it didnt really help.So ill probably just try to deal with this as i dont want to give them drugs if i can avoid it.I think she definately feels comfortable when shes not out in the open.Just her personality.Thank you for your advice!I will post an update.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
.So ill probably just try to deal with this as i dont want to give them drugs if i can avoid it.
Fair enough.

I found this article good - might just give you another idea or two on how to combat this.

Good luck.

Feline House Soiling

Old 03-17-2010, 02:58 PM

3,060 posts, read 6,945,144 times
I love abys - I have owned two. But they are a breed that need a LOT of attention and from the research I did when I got my second one, I learned that many of them like to be the only pet. When my husband (then boyfriend) moved in with me and brought his cat, one would expect a period of adjustment. The period of adjustment simply didn't end. She hated my husband and she abhorred his cat with a passion. She started pooping under my bed. Or on it - on my husbands side. If he left clothes on the floor - pee and poop. When my husband would go away for a few weeks for work, the soiling would cease. He'd return, she'd go back at it. After three years I rehomed her with an older couple, no other pets, and she hasn't repeated her naughty behaviour. They said she is really happy and they love her to bits. She was one of those abys that wouldn't tolerate having to share the limelight.

If it is not a FUI, then it may be simply her expressing her displeasure at sharing you with dogs and taking attention away from her. She's annoyed at you and that's how she is showing it.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:58 PM

Okay,so since i added the other litterbox under the bed she has been using it!Woohoo no more accidents!!!Im so happy.It was really starting to get to me!Im thrilled.Wanted to give an update!

Old 03-19-2010, 10:52 PM

5,116 posts, read 10,034,765 times
Yeah, great news! I hope she keeps using it!!!!!

forum rules, please read them

Old 03-20-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Okay,so since i added the other litterbox under the bed she has been using it!Woohoo no more accidents!!!Im so happy.It was really starting to get to me!Im thrilled.Wanted to give an update!

Glad it's working!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats