Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 10:19 AM

2,455 posts, read 6,666,617 times

Advertisements

Whenever I "discover" a way to improve my cleaning techniques I come here to share them with you. I don't know about you, but keeping a house with multiple animals in it, as clean is possible, is an extremely challenging job.

Today, I tried something else on my hardwood floors in my kitchen and as I peek over the top of my laptop, I see I have succeeded in my "mission"!

How to clean hardwood floors without any streaking or leaving any sticky residue behind! >>>>>> Fill a 1 or 2 gallon bucket with steaming hot water and add approximately 1/4 cup bleach. NOTHING else! Using a wring mop, take a spray bottle with Simple Green and spray on the area of floor to be cleaned, using ONLY 2 squirts for a 4 foot square area. Wringing out your mop as dry as possible, use only one side of your mop to wash, flip, then use the other side to wipe off the detergent. Rinse out your mop and go on to the next area of your floor. The moment when the water in the bucket begins to become soapy and dirty, dump it in the toilet, and refill as originally done. It takes a bit more time then the usual wash with a mop way, BUT the results are so worth it! No sticky floor! No film! NICE!

Just an afterword! IF you live in a place where the humidity is high, as it is here today.....and you have your windows open, you will see a film still. I know this does work, though, for in walking across the clean floor, it feels clean. So, when we turn the air on, there will not be streaks.

Hope this tip helps any of you here that are looking for a new and better way to clean your floors! Good luck!

Last edited by Garden of Eden; 05-02-2010 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 03:42 PM

HA! Now that it has cooled off and the humidity has gone down as well, my floors are gorgeous! No streaks, no fog! You have no idea how exciting that is for me or how long I have spent looking for a way to wash my floors in a way that leaves them sparkling clean! YES!! I did it!!!

Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,475,197 times
I'm definitely trying this. I clean twice. Once with TSP then with a squirt of Dawn in a bucket.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:59 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
i LOVE simple green .... cleans so well and smells great to boot.....

Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 AM

1,463 posts, read 4,326,588 times
Simple Green is just aaaawweeessooommeee! I've been using it for years on everything. Keep a bottle in your car for when a bird decides to leave a present on your car and wipe with a paper towel.

We use SG in and around the shop on machines. It cleans everything really well and the smell from the cleaner isn't bad at all.

Old 05-03-2010, 06:09 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
I'm gonna have to get some Simple Green...all these rave reviews have me feeling like I missed the boat here, LOL!

I also clean with bleach, but I usually mop first with pine-sol, let it dry, then do bleach for the 2nd mopping...the method you share means 1 less round of moppin' so I'll give it a try! Thanks for the tip!

Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 PM

Luv, you are welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats