U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:42 AM

232 posts, read 747,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Does it matter if cats eat dog food? Mr Lizard wasn't interested though.
YES it matters!

Catfood has an ingredient in it (taurine I believe) that is essential to the health of your cat. Dog food does not have this ingredient. Talk to your vet and see if he/she has any recommendations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 09:47 AM

Location: Lots of sun and palm trees with occasional hurricane :)
8,292 posts, read 14,601,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper View Post
YES it matters!

Catfood has an ingredient in it (taurine I believe) that is essential to the health of your cat. Dog food does not have this ingredient. Talk to your vet and see if he/she has any recommendations.
Thanks.

This particular instance was just that instance. All, except one, eat their cat food and once in a while they'll eat non-traditional cat food.

I don't know if you've read some of my other posts about the cat that only eats ham salad/spread and Kashi cereal + lizards.

I talked to the vet about him. Do you know what he did? Laughed, laughed, and laughed harder. He couldn't stop laughing and said I should make a commercial. This cat not only eats the ham spread only, it has to be from Winn-Dixie!!!!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:18 AM

7,139 posts, read 12,925,059 times
My "presents" have included lizards, mice, baby birds, crickets and frogs! Thankfully, now am in upstairs condo, and she is confined to the patio. Still tries to lunge for the birds and squirrels in the nearby trees!

Old 06-16-2007, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
My "presents" have included lizards, mice, baby birds, crickets and frogs! Thankfully, now am in upstairs condo, and she is confined to the patio. Still tries to lunge for the birds and squirrels in the nearby trees!
I've had about three mice recently placed neatly under a table in the backyard. They were dead as a doornail but no parts missing.

This morning, my little dog was frantically trying to get under that table where Butterscotch took the big lizard but I didn't see anything.

The little dog stayed outside for a while, which he normally won't do if he is alone, and then I saw him very happily munching on a big wing. Beautiful one like from a little parrot. The rest of the bird was by the back of the yard, dead also.

I don't know what to do with these cats. I'm not a dead mouse, lizard, bird, cleaner upper and I've had to close my eyes and with a big scooper with a very long handle and a very big broom, pick them up and put them in the garbage.

I guess the kitties are doing their part in keeping the neighborhood clean!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:49 AM

Funny post, vpcats! Cats go for the jugular on their prey, that is why no blood or marks seen. I breathe a sigh of relief if they are found dead. What to do when they are alive and writhing around? I have more than once had to take a poor little bird to the state bird shelter, thankfully there was one in my city at the time. I came to know it well! With the lizards, I just let them stay in the house as they eat up the bugs. Never did see them again, so maybe they died somewhere or escaped outside. I think my cat just likes to catch them, bat them around a little, then tires of the lizards and frogs. She eats the crickets.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Funny post, vpcats! Cats go for the jugular on their prey, that is why no blood or marks seen. I breathe a sigh of relief if they are found dead. What to do when they are alive and writhing around? I have more than once had to take a poor little bird to the state bird shelter, thankfully there was one in my city at the time. I came to know it well! With the lizards, I just let them stay in the house as they eat up the bugs. Never did see them again, so maybe they died somewhere or escaped outside. I think my cat just likes to catch them, bat them around a little, then tires of the lizards and frogs. She eats the crickets.
Yes, I too prefer them dead.
That's what I thought cats did - just smack 'em around a bit and then let them go. Actually, this is the only one of the four that go out that WILL eat his catch, at least partially.

We found a cockatiel one time and it was still trying to breathe. I didn't have these cats at the time, just indoor ones and the dogs. I thought the big dog had done it.

So I called a doctor friend. She said do this, do that, and even if there are basic similarities to humans, she didn't "see" the patient. Well, we went to the store and got some things. We had put the bird in a box and then went to the flea market and got a cage and a stand, plus the food, etc.

That night, I see the bird swaying and I told my boyfriend (now ex) that the bird was going to keel over and he thought I was BSing. Not 5 minutes later, the bird went on its side.

So, what does ex do? Next day, he goes and buys a baby cockatiel (since we had the cage).

It's very hot here in Miami so we put "it" inside the house. One of my kittens decided, "Oh what a nice place to jump to and there's a prize inside"!

After I got tired of picking up water, food, putting the cage back together, I said...... OUT. THE BIRD GOES OUT! So he gave it to a friend of his. We had started to teach it to fly in the house (wings clipped) and walk on your shoulder or finger, etc. The bird still is with the friend.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:02 PM

2,267 posts, read 2,394,480 times
Be glad your cats are skilled enough that they kill them before they bring them to you. My Salem is not so good like that and has often brought in a lizard and set it loose...freaking me out like you can't believe.

Old 06-18-2007, 08:28 AM

Very sweet of your boyfriend to buy the bird, vp cats! Glad to hear it is still alive and doing well.

Lisa, the lizards will leave you alone and do a good deed by eating the bugs inside the house. I never see them again, so not sure what happens to them. My cat has brought in several small field mice--that I won't tolerate. So am running around like crazy trying to catch them. She will then help out by getting it by the neck, then I can grab it and take it outside. We make a good team!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or