Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is taking a healthy domesticated cat to animal control unethical?
It is completely unethical. It is stealing. 10 55.56%
It is perfectly ethical. It is protecting your property. 2 11.11%
It is appropriate, if you promptly inform the owner. 1 5.56%
There are better options (specified in a post). 5 27.78%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 AM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catrick View Post
I too would try and calmly but firmly talk to your neighbor again. Tell her that you have had allergic reactions after cleaning up after her cats. That a solution must be found soon. Our local humane society helps out with stray cats. They provide traps and have helped some people transport the cats to the shelter.

I don't know if this would even help. I had a neighbor when I lived in Florida who had a problem with a stray cat. It loved her front porch. No one elses but hers. She couldn't trap it so she finally got everything off her porch so as not to attract the cat and bleached the heck out of it to get rid of any odors and scents left there. The cat stopped coming. Don't know how scientific it was. And yeah you shouldn't have to do it.

Hopefully she will listen to reason and do more. Otherwise check into the Humane Society in your area to see if they can help.

Good luck.
Great common sense post. Tried to rep you...but have to spread the love around first.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:39 AM

5,006 posts, read 10,684,206 times
I agree about talking to the neighbors. Just remember to stay calm and avoid anger. Express your concerns as concerns rather than angry complaints. I would also stress that you do not paticularly care for cats and, yet, have still been quite tolerant of their presence, but that the situation cannot continue.

State what has been going on (especially the barfing cat--that's a medical issue that the owners should be aware of), stressing the behavior of leaving dead animals, etc. Even those who love cats can understand how that would bother someone. Also, inform them that if they cannot keep their animals off of your property, then you will call Animal Control.

I also love the suggestion of bleaching the porch. There are also sprays that you can buy to deter cats from areas. Whatever happens, do not harm the cats, as you will be breaking the law and violating your ethics.

For what it's worth, I would take these cats' behavior as a compliment. They obviously like you (and your porch), which I think speaks to your abundance of animal magnetism (haha). Do what you can to keep them away and speak to the owners.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:34 AM

1,280 posts, read 6,977,263 times
You've gotten some great advice. I'd just like to point out that bitter apple is a deterrent to keep a pet from licking or chewing on something. It won't do a thing to keep them away from your porch. If you want a chemical deterrent, you might want to try something else.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:50 AM

265 posts, read 813,720 times
You could always get a dog.

Old 05-11-2010, 11:51 AM

3,401 posts, read 13,368,636 times
Gah. Instead of blowing up at the whole post, let me just extract a few choice comments to try to disect for you, because I'm having mixed feelings on this one. I agree with the other posters, that it's a serious problem, and an unwanted one.. but the way you're going about it is just all wrong. And it's makin' my claws come out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by callsnap View Post
I do not like cats. Try not to judge.
<insert judgemental scowl>

Quote:
I am also allergic to cats. I can't help genetics.
You're allergic to pet dander. Not cats. Dander isn't given the appropriate chance to accumulate on outdoor surfaces to the extent that you would suffer.

Quote:
One of the cats is bulimic. He has vomited on my porch 3 times, approx a half-gallon a pop.
A cat’s stomach, before it is filled and expands, is about the size of a quarter. Half a gallon of puke would lead me to believe you are either drasticly overexaggerating, or someone is playing a prank on you.

Quote:
Each of the cats is a hunter, naturally. They have left four dead baby birds on my porch.
I can understand you not appreciating the concept, or it's results, but try to keep in mind, this is a sacred gift in kitty-land

Quote:
The first time they bring me a snake, I will surely catch the vapors and faint.
I'm with Ohiogirl on this one. If you're not drasticly over-reacting again, but considering serious medical reactions from having contact with dead snakes left on your porch, you're in the wrong forum. This may be something serious that you need medical/certified help with, least of your problems would be cats hanging out on your porch. Please visit Repeated fainting fits - Neurology - MedHelp for more information.

Quote:
I've only been living here a short 8 weeks. I spoke with my neighbor following the first incident. She said she'd try her very best to keep the cats off my porch. Sometimes your best just ain't good enough.
I'm sorry that she hasn't helped rectify the situation. It must be frustrating on both ends. I don't agree with kitties being indoor and outdoor. While I can agree to the circumstances that some are under (the cats, not the people) and what they prefer or grew up accustomed to, I can't condone it for my own animals. Maybe the person that lived where you are now (since you've only been there a short time) liked the cats, and had them over to visit constantly. and now that they've moved - the cats don't understand. You're not being very understanding in return. You're threatening to kill them.

I'm sorry that they seem to like you. It's probably not safe for them.
We shouldn't have to tell you NOT to leave your door open when you're running errands. That's just asking for the evil-spirited stench-weilding conspiring kitty-population to break in and begin vandalizing your personal posessions, and digging around unwantedly in your underwear drawer. And leave dead birds in it.

Quote:
I can't bear to smell coyote urine and would like to enjoy my porch without that odor.
Are coyotes urinating on your porch, too? They usually don't get along with cats. Unless you're over-exaggerating again, you may possibly be refering to the male felines "spraying". As much as I don't like anything having to do with your first post and your attitude, I must admit that if your neighbor consents to let her un-altered animals roam free, she's not scoring very high on my respect-totem either. If they were neutered responsibly, they wouldn't be (well, shouldn't be) spraying anymore.

Quote:
I would like to catch these cats. I could take them to animal control and (possibly) leave my neighbor a note with the address. I would be willing to do this repeatedly, until she finds a way to control her cats. Is that ethical?
No. It's stealing. Animal control will come out and asses the problem if they get enough complaints from surrounding neighbors. If it's only one person pitted against another animal owner, they usually encourage you to settle it between the 2 parties without involving the law.

If all else fails, wrapping your contaminated porch and its biohazardous miscellaneous furniture in bubble wrap, should do the trick. *poker face*

Is there any way you could convince your neighbor to join the forum, so we could beat some common sense into her? Letting them run free to populate, get run over, get hurt, anger or upset the neighborhood... it's just not right. Not healthy, either.

Last edited by Marylandkitten; 05-11-2010 at 12:03 PM..

Old 05-11-2010, 12:00 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
I'm a cat owner, but I love my cats - and so keep them indoors where they are not subjected to predators and disease.

I see nothing wrong with trapping them and bringing them to the animal shelter as found strays. If your neighbor really cared about them, she'd bring them in (knowing your intentions) and/or chip them.

You didn't choose to have pets. You shouldn't have to bear the responsibility for them. I say you've done enough. Leave your neighbor a note, letting her know that if she'd like you to bring the cats to the shelter for her and no longer wants them, she should just allow them to wander back on your property and you'll take care of it for her.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:19 PM

556 posts, read 2,086,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
I'm a cat owner, but I love my cats - and so keep them indoors where they are not subjected to predators and disease.

I see nothing wrong with trapping them and bringing them to the animal shelter as found strays. If your neighbor really cared about them, she'd bring them in (knowing your intentions) and/or chip them.

You didn't choose to have pets. You shouldn't have to bear the responsibility for them. I say you've done enough. Leave your neighbor a note, letting her know that if she'd like you to bring the cats to the shelter for her and no longer wants them, she should just allow them to wander back on your property and you'll take care of it for her.
^^^^^^^^^^

If all cat owners were as responsible and sensible as you seem to be - there would not be posts like the OP's, about how to keep others cats off their property. Thanks for posting as a responsible/loving cat owner.

I agree on trapping and taking the cats to the animal shelter - 110%. In our city you can rent humane traps, or purchase one for about $50 at your local tractor supply or feed store. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2010, 12:34 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,405,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marylandkitten View Post
Gah. Instead of blowing up at the whole post, let me just extract a few choice comments to try to disect for you, because I'm having mixed feelings on this one. I agree with the other posters, that it's a serious problem, and an unwanted one.. but the way you're going about it is just all wrong. And it's makin' my claws come out!

<insert judgemental scowl>

You're allergic to pet dander. Not cats. Dander isn't given the appropriate chance to accumulate on outdoor surfaces to the extent that you would suffer.

A cat’s stomach, before it is filled and expands, is about the size of a quarter. Half a gallon of puke would lead me to believe you are either drasticly overexaggerating, or someone is playing a prank on you.

I can understand you not appreciating the concept, or it's results, but try to keep in mind, this is a sacred gift in kitty-land

I'm with Ohiogirl on this one. If you're not drasticly over-reacting again, but considering serious medical reactions from having contact with dead snakes left on your porch, you're in the wrong forum. This may be something serious that you need medical/certified help with, least of your problems would be cats hanging out on your porch. Please visit Repeated fainting fits - Neurology - MedHelp for more information.

I'm sorry that she hasn't helped rectify the situation. It must be frustrating on both ends. I don't agree with kitties being indoor and outdoor. While I can agree to the circumstances that some are under (the cats, not the people) and what they prefer or grew up accustomed to, I can't condone it for my own animals. Maybe the person that lived where you are now (since you've only been there a short time) liked the cats, and had them over to visit constantly. and now that they've moved - the cats don't understand. You're not being very understanding in return. You're threatening to kill them.

I'm sorry that they seem to like you. It's probably not safe for them.
We shouldn't have to tell you NOT to leave your door open when you're running errands. That's just asking for the evil-spirited stench-weilding conspiring kitty-population to break in and begin vandalizing your personal posessions, and digging around unwantedly in your underwear drawer. And leave dead birds in it.

Are coyotes urinating on your porch, too? They usually don't get along with cats. Unless you're over-exaggerating again, you may possibly be refering to the male felines "spraying". As much as I don't like anything having to do with your first post and your attitude, I must admit that if your neighbor consents to let her un-altered animals roam free, she's not scoring very high on my respect-totem either. If they were neutered responsibly, they wouldn't be (well, shouldn't be) spraying anymore.

No. It's stealing. Animal control will come out and asses the problem if they get enough complaints from surrounding neighbors. If it's only one person pitted against another animal owner, they usually encourage you to settle it between the 2 parties without involving the law.

If all else fails, wrapping your contaminated porch and its biohazardous miscellaneous furniture in bubble wrap, should do the trick. *poker face*

Is there any way you could convince your neighbor to join the forum, so we could beat some common sense into her? Letting them run free to populate, get run over, get hurt, anger or upset the neighborhood... it's just not right. Not healthy, either.

MK....I am guessing what the OP is referring to is Coyote Urine or any wild animal urine or scat is used to deter and scare off other animals. It is advertised as such. We used tiger, bear and lion scat when my daughter worked for the Sanctuary, to keep deer from my gardens and roses.
I love my animals and the cats are kept safely indoors. No one should have to suffer for my love of animals. I wouldn't expect my next door neighbors children to come over and deface my porch anymore than her dogs or cats. It's called common courtesy.

OP...You may also want to check with your towns city laws on letting cats roam free. In many cities it is against the law. Whatever you do, don't harm the cats...it is not their fault they have an irresponsible owner.

Old 05-11-2010, 12:36 PM

10,135 posts, read 27,462,852 times
I think so little of a person that would author the original post that I am loathe to even make a serious response. But, since otherwise usually sensible, thoughtful, cat people have posted here their best thoughts to this perverse poster, I am now compelled to address this more directly than simply expressing my personal feelings (see above).

Here is the problem, OP. You bought a house in a locale where cats are permitted to run free. That's the law. You can't change it just because you don't like it. Your neighbor has some cats. Were you unconscious when you looked at the house? If you are allergic to cats, did you ask if cats are allowed and if anyone nearby has one?

You want to make your own laws for your own convenience. Too bad. You have one remedy. You can call the animal control people (no, not the local rescue shelter, the official government agency having authority over animal behavior and the right to cite their owners with a violation of the law, usually in the sheriff's office, or the health department). You can call them and cry about your allergies to them. And, you can cry about the dead birds you attribute to the neighbor's cats too. And, you can cry about your smelly porch. And, at the end of the day, if the animal control officer cites your neighbor for a violation then you have had your day. And, if the animal control officer tells you to pound salt, which they certainly should do, you are done.

And, if you decide to take matters into your own hands and kidnnap one of the cats, or God forbid, kill one, you had better hope that no one like me lives next door, because you won't make the mistake twice. Many of us regard our cats exactly the way people regard their children. Sometimes children in the neighborhood can be pretty annoying, and even dangerous. I found a couple of 8 year olds experimenting with matches in my garage once. But, kidnapping and killing is not in the playbook, OK?

Old 05-11-2010, 01:15 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times
Keep in mind that sending a cat to an animal shelter is virtually a death sentence. The cats just like you and shouldn't be put to death for it. They bring you presents to show their affection, not to gross you out. Surely there is a way to make your porch unappealing to cats if you don't want them there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats