U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 05-14-2010, 01:38 AM

11,970 posts, read 6,965,404 times
Default Need any advice you can offer about a sick feral cat

This little girl is a sweetie (I call her pie wacky) but she's been difficult to find a home for even though she has a good temperament. I've been feeding her and the rest of the feral cat population making their rounds through my yard for about 2-3 months now. I'm guessing she's 7 mos old.

She must have gone in heat-- I noticed her pregnancy about 3 weeks ago, making her unadoptable & likely to be exterminated if brought to the local animal shelter. She has no tolerance being couped up on the back porch and requires a good deal of affection. I can't let her roam my house without shots or flea treatment etc. mostly because of another rescue cat who is male and terribly insecure about his territory. He's used to being the only fur kid and getting him to socialize with other animals has been uphill sideways.

About a week ago I noticed she was bleeding from her hip. It appeared to be a bite or perhaps a BB gun shot. I wasn't sure but I did my best to clean it up and put an animal grade antibiotic ointment on it because it was oozing. Then she disappeared for a couple of days, showed up again ravenous, ate to the bottom of the bowl and disappeared before I could check her wound. She disappeared again for a couple of days, showed up in the rain lethargic, runny clear discharge from her eyes, her fur somewhat matted and unkempt. She threw up clear liquid (no froth). She wouldn't eat. I made a bed for her on my front porch a while ago and this time she stayed & used it. I prepared some kitten replacement milk hoping she'd take some of that but she snubbed it.

This evening I found a 5" dead hairless fetus in the pet bed I set up for her. She's bleeding lightly. She still won't eat but is allowing me to handle her. Drops went into her eyes, a bead of kitty vite, ears cleaned up, and an odd odor like creosote is on the top of her head. I've bathed her and she appears to be perking up a bit but she's very protective of her hind end and won't let me look under her fur. Peroxide was applied with a big fuss. Even attempting to palpate her belly to see if there are more babies-- it's only making her more stressed out. It appears she has no more kittens (I don't feel any balls) but she's very fat in the middle just the same. I resorted to a space heater while keeping her in a cat carrier to dry her off and she was very intolerant of that too. Brushing her coat- it doesn't appear that she's been taking care of herself very well. Lots of dandruff skin, most of her winter coat was still on her. Her fur is very dull.

She's accustomed to being wild. The few cold nights she allowed me to bring her indoors on my back porch but she could only manage a few hours before freaking out. She's never used the litter box. She isn't tolerating being put in a large cardboard box on the porch. She hasn't had any shots so distemper is a strong possibility ahead. I tried to take a peak in her mouth and it appears more white than pink.

I'm afraid if I take her to a vet they're going to tell me I have to put her down. I'm afraid if I don't find a way to get antibiotics for her she'll have no chance at all and get septic if she hasn't already started (the reason for the miscarriage?). I just want to give her the best chance I can. Local humane volunteers didn't return my call in time (2 week delay) when I first tried to find a home for her, and the county has one plan (euthanasia) even for healthy stray animals.

Any advice at all-- I'm barely used to taking care of a cat, but feral cats are a huge challenge to help.
Quick reply to this message

Unread 05-14-2010, 02:48 AM

2,806 posts, read 3,564,161 times
What a nightmare! I wish I could offer advice or encouragement, but I a vet is needed here...I don't think vets typically tell people they HAVE to put an animal down, but they will strongly suggest it in cases where the animal has little or no chance at recovering. If the inside of her mouth is white instead of pink, something is wrong and she needs help...I know it will stress her out to go to a vet, (even domesticated cats hate going and stress out in my experience) but she needs to be checked to make sure there are no more kittens in there, if there are dead fetuses inside her the toxicity will kill her if you wait too long. Can you get her into a carrier? If she fights you, try throwing a towel over her and then do it as quickly as possible. See what they say and take it from there...no one can force you to have her euthanized, and by walking through the front door with her you assume ownership and responsibility as far as the vet is concerned...any treatment or actions beyond the exam and consultation will be your call.

Thank you for trying to help her, and know my prayers are going out to you guys tonight...!

Unread 05-14-2010, 03:29 AM

11,970 posts, read 6,965,404 times
I've been up all night, she's calm now. I'm waiting for the vet to open. Still have some hours to go.

Unread 05-14-2010, 06:02 AM

22,650 posts, read 26,001,036 times
Poor kitty. I have no advice, alas; hang in there. You're doing the best you can for this cat.

Unread 05-14-2010, 07:09 AM

622 posts, read 732,766 times
I would take her to a vet and explain that shes a feral and you want a spay /FIV/ feline luek test done, do the testing first so you dont spend more money then you need on a cat that will die anyway.- then release her back into the wild. Maybe she will come back to you. If shes in pain or has any of these diseases and cannot be helped then having her put down is the best thing but if she can be saved she should be saved.

Unread 05-14-2010, 07:20 AM

1,457 posts, read 1,488,946 times
Poor little girl. Thank you for helping her. Please let us know how her appt. goes.

Unread 05-14-2010, 07:57 AM

3,433 posts, read 4,132,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I've been up all night, she's calm now. I'm waiting for the vet to open. Still have some hours to go.
I think that the wound is infected. I doubt the vet will advise her to be put down; that is typically not the stock-and-trade of a vet.

The wound really needs to be shaved and cleaned with an antiseptic. Kitty also needs to be on antibiotics. However, they will do all of that at the vet's office. They will also determine if that is indeed the right course of action. (FYI: in the future, stay away from hydrogen peroxide as an antiseptic--it burns, and destroys tissue. Nolvasan solution is a better choice). I am fairly certain she has miscarried; the vet will also know what to do re: that issue.

They also might be able to refer you to a low-cost spay center (or they may be willing to do it themselves). I have found many vets to be quite empathetic towards stray cats and those that care for them. B/c they are vets, they usually want what is best for the health of the animal and will do whatever they can to ensure that an animal lives. For a reputable vet, euth'ing an animal is a last resort.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Unread 05-14-2010, 11:47 AM

2,777 posts, read 2,184,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PantherPride View Post
I would take her to a vet and explain that shes a feral and you want a spay /FIV/ feline luek test done, do the testing first so you dont spend more money then you need on a cat that will die anyway.- then release her back into the wild. Maybe she will come back to you. If shes in pain or has any of these diseases and cannot be helped then having her put down is the best thing but if she can be saved she should be saved.
I really hate it when I agree with PantherPride - but I definitely agree on this one. Do the tests first, so you know where you stand. You are not in a position to take in a FIV/FLV+ kitty. (If you didn't have a cat, things would be different.) If FIV/FLV-, many more options are open to you.

Please let us know how things go.

Unread 05-14-2010, 12:35 PM

3,389 posts, read 8,513,052 times
Oh Gosh - let me know what the vet says. My heart goes out to the both of you. God bless you for taking her under your wing, even if she doesn't understand, yet.

Unread 05-14-2010, 01:29 PM

11,806 posts, read 12,413,020 times
harborlady: Best of luck to you and the poor kitty. I hope it turns out well, and thank you for caring about her. I'll keep am eye on this thread to find out what happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats