Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:22 AM

3,748 posts, read 12,399,426 times

Advertisements

This is a long story and I've posted a link at the end if you want to know more of the back story.

I was contacted by Best Friends Rescue yesterday through an urgent e-mail looking for temporary emergency foster space for 2 cats here in Houston. A young lady from AZ was staying with relatives here in the Houston area hoping to make a new life for herself, her children and her 2 cats. Problems developed in the household and she and the children moved to a hotel until she could make other arrangements. She had left her 2 cats at the relative's home for one night with the agreement she would pick them up the following afternoon. When she got there she was told that her cats had gotten out and had run away! Unfortunately, the true story is that the relative took her cats to a local kill shelter without her knowledge or consent! She even signed a euthanasia agreement!

Although I have always been involved strictly with dog rescue, I can't leave these kitties to die! Their time at the shelter runs out tonight. I'm heading over there to get them in a couple of hours and will foster them at my home until we can get them up to Chicago to be reunited with their family.

Are there any cat rescue people here that can help me to coordinate the transport? Best Friends has said they will assist anyway they can and I'm trying to get them back to their owner as soon as possible. One of my dogs is not fond of cats so the kitties will need to be sequestered in a bedroom away from my dogs for their safety until I can get them started on their journey north. Can anyone help me to coordinate this transport? They need to go from Houston Tx to Chicago, Il. Thanks!

Here is the link to the whole story: PLEASE I Need Help - 2 of my Cats Were Stolen- Dropped Off @ Shelter (http://houston.craigslist.org/pet/1741806624.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:37 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
What a story. I hope you and the cats' owner both find a happy ending to it. Thanks for helping.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
What a story. I hope you and the cats' owner both find a happy ending to it. Thanks for helping.
Thank you Ohiogirl. I'll post here with the outcome. First step is to go and get them out of jail!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:22 AM

1,688 posts, read 8,143,574 times
I've sent you a DM.

However, it might be useful if you post the where you think the journey will go geographically speaking just to give folks an idea of the "where" of it all.

Bless you for caring.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:45 AM

295 posts, read 1,213,196 times
Va-Cat -
Contact these folks: Pilots N Paws*|*Saving the Lives of Innocent Animals . They are an AMAZING group.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:46 AM

5,167 posts, read 11,433,597 times
Thank you for saving these kitties!!!!!

forum rules, please read them

Old 05-17-2010, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroom View Post
Va-Cat -
Contact these folks: Pilots N Paws*|*Saving the Lives of Innocent Animals . They are an AMAZING group.
Well the kitties are out of danger & tucked upstairs in my guest bedroom to let them de-stress a bit. The poor babies are really, really skittish right now. Thank you all for the DM's and suggestions. I'll let you know what is happening as it unfolds. I need to contact the owner right now and let her know we are home & her babies are safe!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:10 PM

Default Update......

Well I'm happy to say that Nela and Bela are finally out from under the bed and were both curled up on my lap purring They are eating and using their litter box but I am a bit worried because they are both sneezing. I will have nightmares about that shelter they were in for a while and wouldn't be suprised to find that they caught something while there I hope that it gets a bit better by tomorrow or I will be taking them to my vet. Right now we are looking into the possibility of sending them home via Continental Airlines...non-stop Houston to Chicago. I'm working to get final costs and details. They have been so scared by their adventure, I want to try and get them back to their family as soon as possible.

Oh....and does anyone know if I should be worried about the sneezing in regards to my dogs? I'm a bit out of my element here since we haven't had a cat in the house in over 20 years! Can cats cross contaminate dogs? The 2 camps are being kept separate for the safety of all involved. Anyone know if I should be concerned?

Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 PM

1,280 posts, read 6,976,977 times
I don't think you should have to worry about your dogs catching a cat upper respiratory virus. I would continue to keep them separate anyway though, just to be safe.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 PM

214 posts, read 757,481 times
Oh my, what a sad story! I'm so happy that you came through for this woman and her cats. You are a blessing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats