U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-20-2010, 11:50 AM

628 posts, read 798,959 times
Default another canned food question

I wish I could get one clear answer on this...because I am so confused!

I recently adopted a 1 y/o cat. He is about 11 pounds, active and in good health. I would like to feed him a grain free diet of canned food...with no dry food. Luckily, he loves and it. I feed him EVO and Wellness canned food right now. I do try to stay away from chicken, but that is almost impossible.

My question is...how much do I feed him?? I read that I should base it on calories...but I don't know how many calories are in those foods.

Can anyone help me?? Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 01:31 PM

6,630 posts, read 5,036,643 times
Start with 1/2 a 5.5 oz can twice a day and see how he does. If he's obviously hungry or losing weight, give him another 1/2 can.

Old 05-21-2010, 01:49 PM

2,730 posts, read 5,520,305 times
I have a male cat slightly overweight at 14 pounds and I feed him about 190 calories a day - his target weight is 12. I would think your cat would need about 200 calories a day. Here's a website that shows the calories in canned food - Wellness runs anywhere from 163 to 220 per 5.5 oz can. Canned Cat Food Nutritional Information http://binkyspage.tripod.com/CanFoodOld.html

Old 05-21-2010, 02:59 PM

8,958 posts, read 8,012,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawks91 View Post
I wish I could get one clear answer on this...because I am so confused!

I recently adopted a 1 y/o cat. He is about 11 pounds, active and in good health. I would like to feed him a grain free diet of canned food...with no dry food. Luckily, he loves and it. I feed him EVO and Wellness canned food right now. I do try to stay away from chicken, but that is almost impossible.

My question is...how much do I feed him?? I read that I should base it on calories...but I don't know how many calories are in those foods.

Can anyone help me?? Thank you!!
We've had cats as pets for decades and our cats are fed a diet that always keeps them very, very healthy.

We feed them "Purina ONE® Urinary Tract Health Formula" since all cats will, at sometime in their lives, have urinary tract issues. This dry food we keep a filled bowl and let the cat graze as they get hungry.
Product Details-Urinary Tract Health Formula - PurinaONE.com

For "wet" food we feed them 1/4 can morning/night each of "Fancy Feast" (another Purina product). Fancy FeastĀ® Classic Wet Cat Food | Fancy FeastĀ®

You will have to experiment to see what flavors your cat will like in the Fancy Feast line. NOTE: Purina foods is the ONLY pet food that was NOT contaminated with melamine from China in recent pet food recalls.

You will need to buy a rim can opener to open the cans to save the unfed food for the night feeding in the fridge since the cans are pop top which will cause a LOT of waste otherwise. (you can get 4 feedings of wet food per feeding with one cat from each can)

Now this might sound like a lot of money for cat food but vet bills are more expensive by far. The canned food cost about 58 cents a day (less for one cat)with the dry the dry is roughly 15 cents a day for two cats being less for one. We are retired and live on a fixed income so cost for everything means a lot to us so we find this feeding regimen to be ideal for our cats to keep them in tip top health 100% of the time.

One hard and fast rule to keep your cat healthy....NO TABLE FOOD OR SCRAPS. PERIOD! A cats digestive system isn't designed for human foods!!!!!

Good luck with your pet!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:51 PM

6,630 posts, read 5,036,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post

One hard and fast rule to keep your cat healthy....NO TABLE FOOD OR SCRAPS. PERIOD! A cats digestive system isn't designed for human foods!!!!!

And yet people will feed cats dry cat kibble more fit for cows and goats than obligate carnivores like cats.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:39 AM

1,397 posts, read 2,256,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
And yet people will feed cats dry cat kibble more fit for cows and goats than obligate carnivores like cats.
I couldn't give you rep. points. Hope this is just as good...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats