Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 06:57 PM

387 posts, read 2,131,051 times

Advertisements

and will ease them into their new food starting tomorrow. I'm going to try Blue Buffalo canned and see how they do on that. I was going to wait a little longer, but Guinness has more gas than I've ever known any cat to have and I suspect it's the Science Diet. I hope it works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2010, 07:34 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,334,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTaylor View Post
Guinness has more gas than I've ever known any cat to have ....
That's probably a wheat/grains sensitivity. If my tuxedo lad gets hold of anything with grains, his gaseous emissions are noxious enough to justify calling in the haz-mat teams to ventilate the premises - he's been known to send all occupants of a 1,200 s.f. house running from the premises, tears streaming down their faces, in a Wisconsin January cold snap, when he really gets going.

Start reading labels really, really carefully. I've heard good things about Blue Buffalo, and there are other good ones as well, but what you want to look for is the magic words "Grain-free." Cats are obligate carnivores, and they can't digest non-meat foods. The carbohydrates in the grains ferment in their gut, and the result is that nasty greenish miasma that can clear a room in under 10 seconds. And I have to think that gas is just as uncomfortable for them as it would be for us.

Old 05-21-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
That's probably a wheat/grains sensitivity. If my tuxedo lad gets hold of anything with grains, his gaseous emissions are noxious enough to justify calling in the haz-mat teams to ventilate the premises - he's been known to send all occupants of a 1,200 s.f. house running from the premises, tears streaming down their faces, in a Wisconsin January cold snap, when he really gets going.

Start reading labels really, really carefully. I've heard good things about Blue Buffalo, and there are other good ones as well, but what you want to look for is the magic words "Grain-free." Cats are obligate carnivores, and they can't digest non-meat foods. The carbohydrates in the grains ferment in their gut, and the result is that nasty greenish miasma that can clear a room in under 10 seconds. And I have to think that gas is just as uncomfortable for them as it would be for us.
Thanks!

Old 05-22-2010, 12:38 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Mitaylor I've heard many recommend that brand and wellness brand. Hearing their reasoning why convinced me to switch, but I found another brand sold locally when the other brands were less available. It has the same criteria of high protein, grain free, antibiotic/ hormone free meat as the others, but a 15 lb bag is $26 as opposed to the competitors 7lb bag being $30ish in my neck of the woods. Taste of the Wild : Products : Cats : Rocky Mountain Feline Formula

I think it helps out the overall picture that venison (ordinarily problematic overpopulation) are harvested for useful purpose that doesn't compete with human sources of food.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:57 AM

2,637 posts, read 12,630,802 times
Taste of the Wild is the only grain-free dry I found that my former dry junkie could eat without scratching all the fur off her head. She is sensitive to grains, but other brands of grain-free dry bothered her too. Taste of the Wild is different from those other foods in that it doesn't contain algae and/or alfalfa. I was never able to figure out which of those ingredients was the problem because the foods either had both or neither.

Even a high quality dry is not as healthful as wet food, but if the cat refuses wet food, Taste of the Wild is a good choice in my experience.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiTaylor View Post
and will ease them into their new food starting tomorrow. I'm going to try Blue Buffalo canned and see how they do on that. I was going to wait a little longer, but Guinness has more gas than I've ever known any cat to have and I suspect it's the Science Diet. I hope it works!
for getting away from Science Diet!!!

A change in food sends our felines into total panic. You may want to add a little of the new brand of food to the old ... slowly decrease the old and increase the new.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:12 AM

1,758 posts, read 5,492,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post

Even a high quality dry is not as healthful as wet food
Yes, I learned that recently when hubby and I went away for a few days and thought it would be easier on the furkid care-taker to feed our cats dry only. I didn't think a few days of dry free feeding woud do any harm. WRONG!

Cats don't have a natural strong thirst drive and one of our felines didn't drink enough water. Had to take him to emergency upon our return home. He had a UTI and was dehydrated. This (and other medical conditions) are actually quite common for felines that eat dry only.

The "good" news is...
The vet was able to narrow down the problem (thus cheaper on my pocket book) because the dry food was HIGH quality Wellness. The Dr. could automatically eliminate certain medical conditions that carpy brands of dry food cause.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:28 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,370,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
for getting away from Science Diet!!!

A change in food sends our felines into total panic. You may want to add a little of the new brand of food to the old ... slowly decrease the old and increase the new.
I must be livin' on the edge over here, lol. I haven't taken my kitty-swarm OFF of Blue Buffalo since I began feeding it to them, but I was never sensitive enough to "ease" them into a new dry brand everytime I tried it out on them. Poor things, lol. They put up with a lot from me, it seems.

Good for you, Mi, for taking them off of Science Diet!
It's more expensive with the dry Blue Buffalo they're eating now - but I feel so much better. and more responsible. And their faces are getting fat!
And no more stinky-moo bombs!

Old 05-23-2010, 09:21 AM

622 posts, read 1,724,076 times
Orijen is a very good dry IMHO.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:17 AM

Stinky and Mads seem to like their Blue Buffalo so far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats