Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 05:35 PM

10,102 posts, read 19,297,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I think we live in a "throw away" society when it comes to pets.
I've had 3 cats PTS, I don't consider it "throwing them away". Each cat was very old and quite ill. Two had advanced forms of cancer, one cat had cancer of the jaw and couldn't eat, they suggested a feeding tube, I knew then it was time to let him go.

We had Mike PTS last Oct, he had thyroid, diabetes, and heart problems. The treatments were mutually exclusive, you'd treat one problem and the other would worsen. He was once a proud, noble cat, reduced to a quivering bag of bones. It was a mercy to have him PTS, even though he could have probably lived several more months, albeit in pain and suffering.

We didn't throw them away, we helped them cross over, we ended their suffering. It tore me in two, I grieved for weeks for all my fur children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 05:42 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,459,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I've had 3 cats PTS, I don't consider it "throwing them away". Each cat was very old and quite ill. Two had advanced forms of cancer, one cat had cancer of the jaw and couldn't eat, they suggested a feeding tube, I knew then it was time to let him go.

We had Mike PTS last Oct, he had thyroid, diabetes, and heart problems. The treatments were mutually exclusive, you'd treat one problem and the other would worsen. He was once a proud, noble cat, reduced to a quivering bag of bones. It was a mercy to have him PTS, even though he could have probably lived several more months, albeit in pain and suffering.

We didn't throw them away, we helped them cross over, we ended their suffering. It tore me in two, I grieved for weeks for all my fur children.
I have also have had to euthanize pets. I meant we live in a throw away society as in many (not all) people don't make a lifetime commitment to their pets.

Old 05-25-2010, 05:47 PM

10,102 posts, read 19,297,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
I have also have had to euthanize pets. I meant we live in a throw away society as in many (not all) people don't make a lifetime commitment to their pets.
Gotcha

But when we say a lifetime committment, who's life, the cat's or ours? Its plain selfish and cruel to keep a pet alive for our enjoyment when he's clearly suffering.

My ds is a deep thinker. He was quite upse t hen we had Mike PTS, we showed him in the Bible it says God give us domain over the animals. he thought a long time, then said we are to the animals like God is to us. We decide when and how to ease their suffering, just like God decides when to call us home. That kid give me a headache at times, but he does have some deep thoughts!

Old 05-25-2010, 06:09 PM

1,758 posts, read 5,459,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Gotcha

But when we say a lifetime committment, who's life, the cat's or ours? Its plain selfish and cruel to keep a pet alive for our enjoyment when he's clearly suffering.

My ds is a deep thinker. He was quite upse t hen we had Mike PTS, we showed him in the Bible it says God give us domain over the animals. he thought a long time, then said we are to the animals like God is to us. We decide when and how to ease their suffering, just like God decides when to call us home. That kid give me a headache at times, but he does have some deep thoughts!
I TOTALLY understand what you are saying!!! There has been more than one time that I prayed that a particular pet would go naturally. It is VERY difficult to make the decision to put a pet down.

I'm sorry I haven't explained myself very clear about my throw away comment... I'll give an example or two.

I know someone that had two cats. I'll call them Dick and Jane.
Their cat boxes were both located in one room. Dick wouldn't let Jane go down the hallway to the bedroom to use the litter box, so Jane would potty on the rug in the kitchen. I suggested to the owner to put the other cat box at the other end of the house. The way her house was set up, Dick wouldn't be able to "patrol" both litter boxes if they were located at opposite ends of the house. She wouldn't even consider it! She took Jane to the pound 'cuz she wouldn't stop using the kitchen rugs for a potty.

Or people that get kittens, puppies, etc. and then don't want them once they grow up and are not cute anymore.

People that tie their dogs to a tree and then wonder why their dogs are aggressive and bite... off to the pound.

Stuff like that.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:21 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,505,558 times
I think the OP is stressing about euthenasia on healthy, unwanted animals. I never got the impression that he was against helping sick ones cross the rainbow bridge.

It's hard for to see less than "perfect" cats at the adoptions. I'm always drawn to the ones noone else wants. It hurts to think about what may happen if I don't adopt them. But I know we are at our limit and I can't bring them all home. If only people spayed/neutered.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:53 PM

628 posts, read 2,036,304 times
I think there should be mandatory spay and neuter laws in place.

Do you think it would be possible to train lay people via some certification process for spay/neuter--perhaps maybe a vet on a premesis for emergencies but there could be 5 spay/neuters going on by trained people? I know I personally would sign up and even pay for a program like this and do it for free--I know many other people at my kennel club would as well.

Perhaps in order to get a waiver on not being spayed or neutered organizations (such as the AKC, Humane Society or other dog sporting organizations) would have a process by which you could get a waiver (you'd have to pay of course for this waiver--perhaps make the fee high enough that random back yard breeders are not interested)....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats