Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 07:29 PM

972 posts, read 2,444,004 times

Advertisements

I think that each owner needs to make that decision based on circumstances. Our cats go outside for a few hours a day and roam the "woods" in the back yard. Both have been trained to come when I whistle.

One visits the next door neighbor whenever she is called over there, but other than that stays in our yard. The older one was a feral and we thought we'd never get him to come inside. Now, he only goes out to walk his boundry and then lounge on the patio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 07:52 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
Too many hazards to outdoor cats. Traffic, predators, diseases, chemicals. It is hard to say whether the city or the country is worse. In suburban areas you get all: heavy traffic, coyotes, foxes, torture. It is often difficult to keep them inside. We used to have one that would dart outside at the shortest opportunity. And would come back after a few hours.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:38 PM

374 posts, read 759,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
They are animals, not human.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:19 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Default That's absurd.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Though I`m not against an indoor cat, it`s not there natural enviroment. They roam around outside. That`s normal. Just like the big cats do. They are animals, not human.
That's absurd. Outside NOW is not like outside WAS in their native environment, their native habitat where there are no cars, trucks, sadistic humans, bored roaming dogs, illegal foothold traps, poisoned food left for people's pets by sociopaths and worse. Spread out over large areas parasites and disease were not the issues they are today in domestic cats. You need to learn about cat history and where they come from before posting such nonsense.

Old 05-27-2010, 05:41 AM

672 posts, read 5,094,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
That's absurd. Outside NOW is not like outside WAS in their native environment, their native habitat where there are no cars, trucks, sadistic humans, bored roaming dogs, illegal foothold traps, poisoned food left for people's pets by sociopaths and worse. Spread out over large areas parasites and disease were not the issues they are today in domestic cats. You need to learn about cat history and where they come from before posting such nonsense.
Well said! I will use this in future arguments in "real life"

Old 05-27-2010, 06:01 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
In a perfect world, our cats would all be indoor cats, I certainly tried. But two of them could not be kept indoors, they would even break through the screens to get out. They began spraying inside too, despite being neutered as kittens. So now they go out. The others stay indoors. Fortunately, we live in an area with large lots, on a quiet cul-de-sac, and the cats don't roam. Our oldest indoor/outdoor cat is 14.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:42 AM

7,201 posts, read 14,991,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
In a perfect world, our cats would all be indoor cats, I certainly tried. But two of them could not be kept indoors, they would even break through the screens to get out. They began spraying inside too, despite being neutered as kittens. So now they go out. The others stay indoors. Fortunately, we live in an area with large lots, on a quiet cul-de-sac, and the cats don't roam. Our oldest indoor/outdoor cat is 14.
I think the biggest mistake people make is letting them outside as kittens. Once they get used to roaming it's hard to change their behavior. Getting an older cat that was indoor-outdoor can also be problematic. I understand that. Sometimes there is no answer for such cats but to let them out. But what of the dangers and neighbors? Just no easy answer......

We got our two as kittens 6 wks and about 6 months old. They had never been outside so don't tear the screens trying to get out. We've decided any more cats that join our household will be very young kittens. Or known indoor-only, litter-box using cats - if adults.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:05 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
I think the biggest mistake people make is letting them outside as kittens. Once they get used to roaming it's hard to change their behavior. Getting an older cat that was indoor-outdoor can also be problematic. I understand that. Sometimes there is no answer for such cats but to let them out. But what of the dangers and neighbors? Just no easy answer......

We got our two as kittens 6 wks and about 6 months old. They had never been outside so don't tear the screens trying to get out. We've decided any more cats that join our household will be very young kittens. Or known indoor-only, litter-box using cats - if adults.
You misunderstood, they had NEVER been outside---and STILL tore the screens!! (although one was a feral kitten about 5 weeks old when we got him---but he was about a year old before he tore the screen to get out) They were desperate to catch the wildlife they saw outside. They would also dash between people's legs in an effort to get out. Of course once they DID get out, they were even more eager to do it all over again. But you're right, at that point it became even more of a losing battle. But again, I NEVER purposely let them out before they became obsessed with getting out. As I previously said I did try to keep them in, and we got them both as young kittens. (they were much older before they developed their outdoors obsession)

Some cats, and we've had several, simply have no desire to go outside. We would have had to bar the windows to keep the other two inside, though.

Last edited by andthentherewere3; 05-27-2010 at 10:17 AM..

Old 05-27-2010, 12:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,648 times
Bottom line... whatever a person chooses to do, indoor or outdoor, that is the owners choice to make. Not yours... If someone wants to let their cat go outside(like I do), then so what. Lets not make this a moral issue because it`s not.

Old 05-27-2010, 02:06 PM

2,422 posts, read 2,278,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NODAK1979 View Post
I've seen numerous threads on the internet where something bad has happened to somebody's cat after it was let outside. Obviously the risks to a cat are exponentially higher outside than inside. Some say that it is cruel to keep a cat indoors all of the time because it cannot satisfy its urge to hunt and to roam about that way. Others point to the short life expectancy of cats who live outside as opposed to inside.

So what's your thought?? Do you ever let your cats outside?

For us, we had to sign an agreement that we would not let them out. Even if we didn't have an agreement though, I still wouldn't do it because I do not trust other people to not be sociopaths, and I don't trust people to keep their dogs leashed up. Not only that, but it's just sort of rude to let a cat roam about since it can get into other people's gardens or trash. As far as I'm concerned, our house is the universe to our cats....and it's a good universe. They have plenty of toys and affection here...and while they may never kill a mouse or bird, we're fine with that.
I had 2 outdoor cats that lived to be 18 yrs, so much for life expectency being shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats