U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:12 AM

112 posts, read 450,213 times

Advertisements

I've seen numerous threads on the internet where something bad has happened to somebody's cat after it was let outside. Obviously the risks to a cat are exponentially higher outside than inside. Some say that it is cruel to keep a cat indoors all of the time because it cannot satisfy its urge to hunt and to roam about that way. Others point to the short life expectancy of cats who live outside as opposed to inside.

So what's your thought?? Do you ever let your cats outside?

For us, we had to sign an agreement that we would not let them out. Even if we didn't have an agreement though, I still wouldn't do it because I do not trust other people to not be sociopaths, and I don't trust people to keep their dogs leashed up. Not only that, but it's just sort of rude to let a cat roam about since it can get into other people's gardens or trash. As far as I'm concerned, our house is the universe to our cats....and it's a good universe. They have plenty of toys and affection here...and while they may never kill a mouse or bird, we're fine with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 08:59 AM

622 posts, read 1,366,049 times
Go to Little Big cat, its a website that lists what can happen to outdoor cats.
Once a cat tatses the freedom of the outdoors its harder then hell to keep them confined.

Old 05-23-2010, 09:14 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,148,217 times
In the not-too-distant past, we had a very long thread about this heated topic.
There are proponents of outdoor cats, there are people who will never let their cats out, and there are even in-betweeners such as myself.

Bad things can indeed happen to cats who spend time outside: disease, automobiles, dogs, other cats, coyotes etc etc. I knew of a cat who got killed in a garage door mishap.

Going outside does not necessarily equal a death sentence. My two former kitties spent day time out, night-time in. One lived until 17, the other till 20.

My present cat (a rescue) goes out in the early morning, and I get her inside for good around noon. Twice I tried to turn her into an all-inside cat, but she was so frustrated and destructive I gave in. Four-five hours seems to be the best compromise I can reach.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 AM

7,201 posts, read 11,323,049 times
After several well loved cats were lost because I believed cats need to go outside and be cats.... my 2 new girls are indoor only. As time passed I learned not only do most outdoor-indoor cats live much shorter lives, but they become NUISANCES to the neighbors. That didn't occur to me years ago. Many times the neighbors will suffer in silence rather than complain to the cat owner. They also prey on valuable songbirds adding to the problem of their numbers declining. And every mouse or rabbit or lizard they kill means a native animal or bird goes without dinner. Cats are not native to the USA.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:35 AM

387 posts, read 1,972,326 times
I live in an apartment complex on a busy street, so there's no way in hell I'd let the cats roam. We might take them out on their harnesses if they get used to them, but other than that they're indoor only.

I lived with S/O's parents years ago and we had a sweet kitty named Cody. We lived on two acres in a rural area and Cody went outside one night and never came back. We suspect he was killed by cyotes. I will never have an indoor/outdoor cat again.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:41 AM

672 posts, read 4,730,124 times
I'll never let my cat or future cats roam around alone outside. I'm not even exaggurating when I say that all outdoor cats I've known of that have died, died because they were outside (hit by a car, bitten by a snake, poisoned, disappeared, etc).

I think cats can live a perfectly satisfied life inside. Give them cat trees and play with them Or build a cat enclosure. I take my little lady out for walks sometimes.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:53 AM

5,115 posts, read 10,030,617 times
My cats are indoors only. I wouldn't want to risk their health by letting them outside. There are too many cars, cat haters, predators etc. out there. They are much safer inside and there is no chance for them to get fleas and ticks. They seem happy enough running around in the house, climbing their cat trees and playing with each other and us humans. We will build an outdoor enclosure on our deck, that way they can feel the sun and wind, but still be safe.

forum rules, please read them

Old 05-23-2010, 11:06 AM

15,756 posts, read 32,479,957 times
A lot of this is local custom. Our house, purchased in 1996 came with a feral that lived on the back patio. She might come in once in a while looking for a handout but until she got very old she was very feral. She died last year probably at close to 20. She roamed the neighborhood and killed things.

Our dog and Maine Coon roam in and out freely. If the door is not open Samson, the Maine Coon uses my window as a cat door. Samson is in no way confined but does not leave the property.

Virtually none of the cats in the neighborhood are indoor. They come and go. They generally only walk the wall on our property as one of the residents will likely be all over them if they get too close to the house.

On one occassion someone dropped a tea cup chihuahua in our backyard. Terrible row on the patio as the then dog, a german spitz and a ferocious ratter, and the feral argued over who was going to eat this new play thing. I am not sure whether they would have really killed it but it looked bad when we got there even though the Chihuahua was putting up a stout defense.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:10 AM

1,632 posts, read 4,224,486 times
All our cats are indoor only with the exception of one of that is allowed outside when we are outside with him. I believe cats are MUCH safer inside.

Putting aside my thought above... Allowing a pet to roam free around the neighborhood is NOT a responsible pet owner.

Why should the neighbors have to clean up after someone else's pet?
Why should the neighbors have to put up with a cat looking in their windows getting their indoor cats all worked up? Or their dogs?
If the free roaming cat is a "sprayer," why should the neighbors have to put up with that mess and stink?
What about the cats that "scream" at night? Is that fair to the neighbors?

Bottom line is my cats are my pets and the neighbors shouldn't have to deal with them.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:48 AM

672 posts, read 4,730,124 times
I also wanted to say that I support this argument and I will use it in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola4 View Post
All our cats are indoor only with the exception of one of that is allowed outside when we are outside with him. I believe cats are MUCH safer inside.

Putting aside my thought above... Allowing a pet to roam free around the neighborhood is NOT a responsible pet owner.

Why should the neighbors have to clean up after someone else's pet?
Why should the neighbors have to put up with a cat looking in their windows getting their indoor cats all worked up? Or their dogs?
If the free roaming cat is a "sprayer," why should the neighbors have to put up with that mess and stink?
What about the cats that "scream" at night? Is that fair to the neighbors?

Bottom line is my cats are my pets and the neighbors shouldn't have to deal with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or