U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 06:41 PM

317 posts, read 558,170 times
My husband caught our cat Elroy's tail in the door (he insists that Elroy closed the door on his own tail). About three inches of flesh came off, exposing the cartilage. Elroy ran around the house with blood flying everywhere. It was horrible! It is almost impossible to bandage a cat's tail because they just bite the bandage off. We called the vet but they said there is nothing that they can do for him. It would have to heal on its own.
After a few weeks it dried up. As I was preparing to feed the cats one day, I accidently stepped on Elroys tail and the part that dried up broke off. He has been doing great ever since. He is back to his old self again. Elroy sleeps next to my husband every night so he felt really bad for the little guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 11:58 PM

3 posts, read 10,130 times
My kitty is displaying the same symptoms that loves2read described in her first post.

My kitty was missing for 4 days last week so we kept her inside and only letting her go outside with supervision. She slipped away last night and came running home while fighting another cat. She seemed fine, but this morning she keeps her tail in a really awkward down angle, and she 'growls' if i want to touch her anywhere. If i aim for her lower body, especially the tail, she doesn't hesitate to bite. She ate when she came home, but she's not interested in any food now whatsoever- not even tuna or chicken which is her favorite.

She walks really slowly if she moves around, and i'm really worried.

Anyone have any suggestions at to what i should do? I'm gonna try and take her to the vet today, but i need to ask the neighbors for transport.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:37 AM

460 posts, read 1,757,217 times
We had a cat run away one time only to return weeks later with a mangled tail that had to be amputated. The vet said it might of got caught in a car's radiatr fan or something. So we took care of him and started calling him stumpy and once he was feeling better he took off once more never to be seen again.

Anyhow if your cat's tail has bandaged wounds it's better to keep it inside for now to avoid getting them dirty so as to avoid possible infection.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:58 AM

I am keeping her inside for now. I can't check for wounds... She's much to grumpy and i don't want to hurt her.

Old 04-17-2009, 02:48 AM

Been to the vet. She had a really high fever. So she got an anti biotic and a pain injection and from tomorrow she's getting both anti biotic and pain pills.

I saw a woman in the waiting room where they didn't catch the wound quick enough and the infected area was cut out. Don't ask me what it's called. Lol.

I'm so glad i went early cuz i won't be able to go through with the whole operating thing and i definately don't have that much money.

Anyhow. Thanks for the reply tripod. ^_^

Old 02-22-2010, 03:30 PM

8 posts, read 11,763 times
Our little cat Mia disappeared for twelve hours a couple of days ago (not like her to do this) but reappeared in our bedroom that night covered in dirt and shaking. She was also silent (she's usually a very vocal cat) and her eyes were glazed over and sunken back. Her tail was lifeless and felt like it wasn't attached properly. She was crawling with her body very low to the ground. We called the vet and he took her in for observation for three days. X-rays showed a fractured pelvis and three dislodged vertebrae just where the tail meets the body. Vet said something heavy was dropped on her. He tried to reset the vertebrae while she was under anesthetic but could not. We have her back home tonight but I'm worried that if it is not put back into place will she always be in pain even after she heals? She has not pooped yet either and I'm not sure if she will be able to do this easily. Is there any sort of stool softener I could buy if this is the case? I feel so sorry for her. I don't feel like we've helped her enough. Can anyone please give us some advice

Old 02-22-2010, 03:43 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,971,883 times
Hard to say. Spinal injuries of any kind -on anyone or animal- are hard to tell until the healing is done. Sometimes it's all right, other times it's struggle from here on out. Your cat could be fine. It's a case of wait and see. If you cat hasn't used the catbox here soon I'd be on the phone to the vet. Give the cat 24 hours from when you brough her home. As for litter box issues? You're going to have to wait and see about that. Let's just hope and pray your cat turns out to fine. Deal with the things as they come. Try not to over stress yourself.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:40 PM

11,806 posts, read 13,829,892 times
boblee2010: What a heartrending story. I hope little Mia improves. It seems as though you have done everything humanly possible.

Old 02-23-2010, 11:32 AM

3,403 posts, read 9,154,407 times
Oh boblee, how sad!!

You can give your cat milk (since most cats are lactose intolerant) and it will soften her stool. Don't give her too much, or it will cause diahrrea (sp?) - and no crunchy kibble.. if I were you, I would mix a little milk into wet canned food only, and only give her that for a little bit while you keep an eye on her.

I can't imagine what happened to her, but the back of my mind screams heartless animal abusers. The little town in Arizona that I grew up in when I was younger had mysteriously disappearing animals. A very lucky few returned on their own to their homes. As it turns out, there were a band of smaller children (from 12-15) that took it into their minds to make a movie, recreating animals coming back from the dead. In order to carry this film scene out, they would smother or hit the animal over the head to "put it to sleep for a minute" bury it lightly in the loose dirt, then set the stage. Sadly, some of the animals were never recovered.

Needless to say, some never returned home, and some were buried prematurely, and the boys were eventually picked up and held on negligence, animal cruelty, and other assorted minor fines that their parents weren't all too thrilled with.

I digress.. what's most important right now (thankyou for taking her to the vet, it must have been expensive!) is just treating her as carefully as you can, and keeping her comfortable. It might take time for her back pain to decrease, it may never be the same.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:18 PM

8 posts, read 11,763 times
Thanks for answering everyone, I was just so stressed last night because it was her first night back home and I didn't know if I should be doing something else for her. Good news though, when I woke up for work this morning she was comfortably asleep at the end of the bed, our bed is pretty high up and she'd managed to jump up herself during the night so she must be feeling a bit better already. I think she'll be ok if she keeps recovering at this rate. My partner saw the tip of her tail flick earlier so all good news.
Marylandkitten that is a really upsetting story. Unfortunately in my little town in Tipperary we have also experienced evil like that. A few years ago a group of boys around the same age you mentioned took to setting cats and dogs on fire. Once they tied someone's pet dog to the railway tracks, it was sooo scary, I was afraid to leave the cat I had at the time outside because we lived right beside the track. People knew who these boys were but nobody did anything about it. Those boys have grown up now but I hope that they can't sleep at night for thinking of what they did, and you know it was mostly mob-mentality. I hope they can never forgive themselves.
When you hear stories like that you'd feel like taking the law into your own hands. I hate that they never had to pay for what they did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats