Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 04:13 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times

Advertisements

My cat, Cooper, has been dry heaving yesterday and vomited today...I'm wondering if there's something I can give him to settle his stomach? It's not a hairball, he just vomited foam. He does this every so often and he's acting normal otherwise so I don't want to take him to the vet yet. Does anyone know of something I can give him-- like food wise...I don't really want to give medicine. I usually give the dog beef and bran or chicken and rice, is there something comparable for cats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 04:41 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,369,491 times
Feel free to step in guys, if I'm barking up the wrong tree.... but unless I'm mistaken, barfing up foam indicates the cats inability to process whatever it was he ingested. And foam usually is associated with poisons, or very bitter substances, (although some grasses can do this as well, is your kitty indoor strictly? or outdoor too?)

I would be concerned. If he does this every so often and you're not concerned, every so often, he may be getting into something that is upsetting his stomach, and not potentially life-threatening. But anything without moderation can be dangerous. Where do you keep your soap, for instance? Paint? Pesticides?

I did some research for you:

Chronic Renal Failure
Chronic renal failure is a serious kidney disease. A symptom of chronic renal failure in cats is when they vomit clear or white foam.

Feline Parvovirus
Feline parvovirus is also known as FPV or Feline Infectious Enteritis, FIE. Symptoms include foamy vomit, fever and, in more serious cases, sudden death. A cat with feline parvovirus will try to eat or drink, but will be unsuccessful. A stool sample will be needed for your veterinarian to make an accurate diagnosis.

Plants
Cats are constantly looking for new things to explore, including plants. If a cat vomits a substance of a foamy, green consistency, this could be an indicator that the cat may have eaten a toxic plant.

Empty Stomach
Cats may vomit a clear, foamy liquid if they are nauseous and have an empty stomach.

Normal
In some cats, vomiting a foamy substance is a normal reaction to stress. According to Veterinary Associates, "Most healthy cats will, on occasion, vomit whole or partially digested food, hairballs, or foamy, clear liquid."

If something is lodged in your kitty's throat, it could be why he's foaming up. You can either try extracting it (you need a flashlight, and tweezers.. and thick gloves... and at least 3 people pinning the cat down - you know what, never mind, let's move on, lol) - or you can wait for it to pass, and help it pass through his system by feeding him hairball treats (even if they're not hairballs, whatever is getting stuck needs some lubrication - and that's all hairball treats are. Olive oil, butter, a vasoline-like substance that is cat-safe (think PawGel) is also good. Either way you go, you're looking at your cat hacking, because something's stuck. And the foam means it's horribly bitter or obnoxious-tasting to your cat.

This website will make you feel a lot better, and keep you well-informed.
Cat vomiting - dog - cat - pet encyclopedia
Best Way - Remedy for an Upset Stomach in a Cat | eHow.com

In the meantime, boiled chicken and rice. Best of luck.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:00 PM

1,300 posts, read 3,602,293 times
Wow thanks for all the info!!!

Cooper is strictly an indoor cat. He literally never goes outside. We keep all our pesticides in the garage, he isn't allowed in there. I don't think it's something he got into, I think it's just nausea, empty stomach, that sort of thing. I may try the chicken and rice although I don't know if he'll eat rice...

Old 05-29-2010, 05:04 PM

3,401 posts, read 13,369,491 times
Stress can do it too! Stop stressing him out!!

If you blend the chicken and rice with some broth, he'll eat it. But I'm sure by that point, just buying pureed baby food would be easier.

I hope he feels better soon!

Old 05-30-2010, 08:00 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,451,357 times
Slippery Elm mixed into food will normalize the digestive tract. I've used it myself, my friends have used it on my recommendation and I have used it on two cats successfully. Whether the problem is vomiting, loose bowels or constipation, or gas, Slippery Elm just normalizes things...calms them down. It is a powdery herb that tastes like Maple Syrup. Mix it in with some water to your cat's food. If should help. If he won't eat, make a liquid solution with water and Slippery Elm and give it to him in his cheek. Give about 1/4 the human dose for a therapuetic dose. You can also always give Sovereign Silver ( or Futuerbiotocs Colloidal Silver as a second choice 10 ppm strength) if he has a virus or infection. That is like a natural antibiotic that does much more than anti-biotics do and does it without the dangers/side effects of anti-biotics.

Slippery elm bark - powder - Bulk Herb Store

Lesson 6 - The Digestive System

Old 05-30-2010, 08:11 PM

96 posts, read 264,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-CityRelo View Post
My cat, Cooper, has been dry heaving yesterday and vomited today...I'm wondering if there's something I can give him to settle his stomach? It's not a hairball, he just vomited foam. He does this every so often and he's acting normal otherwise so I don't want to take him to the vet yet. Does anyone know of something I can give him-- like food wise...I don't really want to give medicine. I usually give the dog beef and bran or chicken and rice, is there something comparable for cats?
give him some cat nip. it will settle his stomach.

i use cat nip tea myself when i have an upset stomach.

Old 05-20-2014, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 30,738 times
Default foam vomiting

Very important! Sometimes foam can mean a ingested Something one time my cat had ribbon in almost died
she vomited for two days she got a hold of some curling ribbon which usually can cause death
foam vomiting I would get them to the vet immediately
can cause strangulation of their insides
bowel obstructions very painful death
Also something very poisonous or toxic do you have plants in your house or flowers
string paper clips any articles

Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,988,031 times
Vomiting is not normal.

Take your cat to the vet.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:38 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,358,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocngypz View Post
Vomiting is not normal.

Take your cat to the vet.
Old thread...but good advice.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 20,806 times
What ever happened?? I hate it when people ask about things & then don't follow up with what worked, or what happened. Does anyone know? Now MY cat is doing the same thing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats