Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 03:55 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times

Advertisements

WHITMAN — The Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals is urging cat owners to keep their pets inside after three particularly gruesome recent attacks at the hands of humans.

MSPCA: Keep your cats indoors after series of gruesome attacks - Quincy, MA - The Patriot Ledger

Old 05-31-2010, 04:12 PM

7,201 posts, read 14,993,078 times
Default Some cat owners don't care.....

Some cat owners don't care. They'll continue to let their cats roam at large and if they're caught and tortured and killed.... they'll simply get another cat and repeat the cycle all over again. If cats cost $2,000 or $5,000 each, you wouldn't see them run over in the streets or killing songbirds or themselves being tortured and killed by sociopaths.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:12 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
Karma is going to get those monsters who hurt/torture/kill animals. I hope it is soon.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:14 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,140 times
I hope cat owners take this warning seriously. Whether you think your cat needs to go out or not, it's not worth someone getting hold of your cat and killing them. Please keep them in sight until this person(s) is caught. Dozens of cats were mutilated in Miami-Dade County last year, and people were warned. They arrested a teenager for this gruesome act.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:25 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Despite all these threads about the dangers of letting cats roam, people continue to defend it...very sad. There are just too many sickos out there to risk letting them roam freely. I wish it were a different world, but this is the one we are stuck with, and as owners it is our responsibility to ensure their safety...that means not exposing them to dangers like cars, mean, cat-hating people, children who think it's "cool" to torture animals, and predators. If I ever caught anyone hurting an animal, I'd put that person in the hospital...seriously.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flkingfan View Post
I hope cat owners take this warning seriously. Whether you think your cat needs to go out or not, it's not worth someone getting hold of your cat and killing them. Please keep them in sight until this person(s) is caught. Dozens of cats were mutilated in Miami-Dade County last year, and people were warned. They arrested a teenager for this gruesome act.
What galls me is these people, kids, teens or adults, almost never pay for their crimes. They plead out and never spend more than a few days in jail - if that. Is it any wonder the carnage continues?

Old 05-31-2010, 04:52 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,585,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
What galls me is these people, kids, teens or adults, almost never pay for their crimes. They plead out and never spend more than a few days in jail - if that. Is it any wonder the carnage continues?
Almost makes me want to be a "cat vigilante"...prowl the streets at night and catch these degenerates in the act, then beat them within an inch of their lives...maybe that's what they need to change their ways, a good, old fashioned can of WHOOP A**!!!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:08 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
The problem is not the people who allow their cats to roam: the problem is the people who kill cats. If legislation were tougher re: cruelty towards animals (say, a 10-year stint in prison), then people such as these would be in prison, and our animals would be safe.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:12 PM

Thumbs up They'd deserve it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Almost makes me want to be a "cat vigilante"...prowl the streets at night and catch these degenerates in the act, then beat them within an inch of their lives...maybe that's what they need to change their ways, a good, old fashioned can of WHOOP A**!!!
I'd go with you. I have a nice baseball bat...........

Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,429,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by =^..^= View Post
That's what ticked me off in the article. They were so proud that it's a felony in MA, which is good, but it's only a 2.5 - 5 year sentence. Go figure in time served while waiting on court and getting out on good behavior and they can technically serve less than a year. And that's if they get that sentence. The judge can always give them 'rehab' and probation, which is a total joke.

We need to take this more seriously. These sickos start with animals. And move on to children. We are euthanizing the wrong species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
The problem is not the people who allow their cats to roam: the problem is the people who kill cats. If legislation were tougher re: cruelty towards animals (say, a 10-year stint in prison), then people such as these would be in prison, and our animals would be safe.
Well, the people doing this definitely are the problem, but the fact is even if you get the same sentence for killing a cat that you do a human, it will still be done, just like they do with humans. Murder is supposedly a serious crime. You definitely do more time for it than for animal abuse, but people still murder. Some people are so sick that they don't care about the penalty. They will kill anyway, as long as the opportunity presents itself. So as a responsible pet owner, it's essential that you keep your pets safe from predators like this. The laws don't prevent crimes from happening. They are supposed to punish people that commit them and keep the world safe from those people while they're locked up. The problem is they aren't locked up long, so the animals get very little repreive from them. Until they start making all violent crimes an automatic life sentence with no chance of parol (personally I think anyone that commits a violent crime should be euthanized) it will continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats