U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 06-02-2010, 11:18 AM

190 posts, read 393,600 times
Default Cat Poops 4 Times A day

Does anyone's cat poop 4 times a day. I feel that is alot. I have always had outdoor cats so I never knew how much they did but now I have an indoor cat and It is at least 4 times a day. Im thinking Im feeding her the wrong food. She gets 1 1/2 cups of dry food a day. Also treats once a day. No moist food. She gets diareah with moist food. Any sugestions on what to switch her to. She is eating Purina now. THanks Mindy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-02-2010, 02:38 PM

3,837 posts, read 2,631,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindy410 View Post
Does anyone's cat poop 4 times a day. I feel that is alot. I have always had outdoor cats so I never knew how much they did but now I have an indoor cat and It is at least 4 times a day. Im thinking Im feeding her the wrong food. She gets 1 1/2 cups of dry food a day. Also treats once a day. No moist food. She gets diareah with moist food. Any sugestions on what to switch her to. She is eating Purina now. THanks Mindy
That seems like a lot of food. How big is your cat?

Unread 06-02-2010, 03:06 PM

5,006 posts, read 6,812,916 times
If you buy a better quality food ( one with less fillers such as grains ) she will poop less and you will have to feed less also. I like Wellness and Halo cat food, but there are other very good ones.

forum rules, please read them

Unread 06-02-2010, 03:10 PM

3,399 posts, read 8,569,561 times
She might get the runs with wet food, but that's because it's "not the norm" and cats' stomachs are sensitive, and the change should be gradual. Purina is not healthy for cats. It is corn puffs sprayed with meat juice. I would rather deal with an overactive runny pooper, than see one of my kitties die of renal failure before they even hit 10 years old.

Perhaps she's reacting badly to the low quality of the Purina cat food.

Unread 06-02-2010, 03:46 PM

6,219 posts, read 3,873,072 times
You need to switch her to wet food gradually. I switched 4 cats in the past year with no stool problems.

Unread 06-02-2010, 04:06 PM

8,205 posts, read 10,099,104 times
Too much dry food. But, four solid bowel movements a day are not in themselves a problem.

Unread 06-02-2010, 05:39 PM

1,463 posts, read 1,741,024 times
I had a cat with stool problems. So I changed her diet and it seemed to help. But it started up a few years later. Come to find out it was more serious then just a digestion issue.

I would change the type of food the cat is eating and see if that helps with the issue.

Unread 06-06-2010, 12:50 PM

24 posts, read 26,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
If you buy a better quality food ( one with less fillers such as grains ) she will poop less and you will have to feed less also. I like Wellness and Halo cat food, but there are other very good ones.
Definitely! Make sure its not the ingredients causing her to have any upset tummy. Wth human grade food she is less likely to have tummy upsets. You can search online to find decent food that has no by-products, grains or fillers.
Although, some cats can do well on dry food, wet food mimics more of a feline's natural diet. You always want to make sure there is fresh water daily for your kitty. With wet food, they get a lot of their moisture in their diet from the food.

Unread 06-06-2010, 12:57 PM

9,531 posts, read 21,580,915 times
The Purina is the culprit. Nothing but fillers. A better quality food and you'll find the cat will only eliminate once or twice a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Cats